Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Shrubs

Default Yellowhead Lake

Went for a cruise around the country yesterday and decided to stop in at Yellowhead for bit and ended up landing 7 small brookies and one nice plump 16 incher. Small spot tail shiners in about 8 feet of water seemed to work okay.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:03 PM
TundraBuck

Hey Shrubs were you getting much action? I am thinking of checking either it or Peppers out here this weekend. Thanks for the heads up! How was the ice?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Shrubs

Hey Tundra, yes the action was pretty good, caught my first one while I was still rigging up the second rod. Lots of bites, hooking percentage was better when using a slip bobber, only landed one on the rod with no slip bobber.

Ice was pretty uneven close to shore but I didn't go through lots out on the lake.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 PM
TundraBuck

Ok thanks, might give it a try this weekend!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Shrubs
"Small spot tail shiners in about 8 feet of water seemed to work okay."

You had better check the regulations. I know they are complicated and hard to understand at times. But it sure looks to me like you can not use "bait fish" in Yellowhead lake. (page 33 of the 2008 guide from about the middle of the page down)

Robin in Rocky
Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Shrubs

You had better check the regulations. I know they are complicated and hard to understand at times. But it sure looks to me like you can not use "bait fish" in Yellowhead lake. (page 33 of the 2008 guide from about the middle of the page down)

Robin in Rocky
Hey duffy I remember seeing a conflict about this a little while ago, not about yellowhead in particular but "bait fish" to normal bait. Anyone have any better clarifications?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Shrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Shrubs

Robin in Rocky
Holy Snot! I'm definatley going to have to thank you for pointing that out to me and I apologize. I looked at the regs while I was at the lake but I only searched for Yellowhead lake under the site specifics and it's not there so I assumed that I was okay. I guess I've gotten into a habit of just looking for the lake and not going over all the site specific regs. Once again thanks and I will be sure to use a little more caution while reviewing our regulations.

Note to Shrubs: remove head from a**
Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 PM

Default re

That has got to be dumbest reg in the regs, just so ya know a small smelt will fish just as good as any minnow I know of!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Shrubs, you are welcome and thank you for taking it the right way. Some guys on here get all bent out of shape if you say something and they figure you are blaming them for something rather than pointing something out for them.

Buck Crazy, There are other regulations saying you cannot use live fish for bait but I think F&W are just so afraid of moving fish sp. into new lakes they do not want any fish that could survive to be used as bait in some waters. They may just not be as dead as they should be.

Robin in Rocky