Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Shrubs

Default Taking only the Backstraps out of Burbs

Once in a while I see Burbot on the ice that have had only the backstraps removed. Personally I think it's a huge waste considering the belly meat is very edible imo. Any opinions?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Honestly Shrubs, I have never tried the belly meat. I was taught to take the back strips and then the tail on each side. How do you find the belly meat?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Not legal to :allow edible fleash form a game fish to be wasted.
2. evidence of sp. of a fish must remain attached to the "fillets" while transported from lake to home.
3. I could not find it in the present (08) regulations guide but I believe leaving fish guts on the ice is not legal.

If you see someone doing this sort of thing get a plate # and description and a pic if you can and call report a poacher#(1-800-642-3800)

Burbot is great eating. I would not want to waste any of it.

Robin in Rocky
Old 03-26-2008, 11:53 AM

Look closely at the belly meat. It's where you'll often find those worms that grow in a circle. Cut them out & you're good to go. Belly meat is good choice for chowders.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 PM

It's better than all the whole burbot left on the ice in the 80's...........PS you shouldn't be cleaning them and leaving parts on the ice anyways......Harold
Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 PM

Interesting! I never thought of point #1. Cleaning burbot that way is what I was taught in a Continuing Education course.

Well, I'm willing to give it a try. Until this post I did not know of anyone that kept the belly meat.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM

I refuse to open the stomach of any burb it will taint the meat if you get any gut on it. I take the back straps and the tail like almost everyone else does
Old 03-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Shrubs

Whoa, before any goes and eats the actual stomach, that's not what I'm talking about

The best way I've found to get all the meat is to gut, pull the skin off, cut down the back and carve around the bones. Take everything that looks like meat. The meat on the bottom of the fillet (or what I call belly meat) feels tough but it cooks up nice. I think those of you who just cut the straps will be suprised at how much more meat you will get.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 PM

The belly meat on burbs is good stuff and it really adds to the amount of meat you get off a fish... it has the same taste as the back but has a consistancy more like squid. I cut right below the ribs up under the head and down to the rear. never seen any worms thankfully
Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 PM

We dont take the belly meat either was told it was the worst part. Even on lakers guide said to cut off belly as thats where the fat and the bad taste comes from.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:08 PM

Default belly meat

Ever eat candied salmon?? It's belly meat. And yes it does have more fat, that's where you get all the heart healthy stuff. Treat your fish well like you do any game and it will taste fine. Guides don't like belly meat because it takes them more time to clean the fish.

the chef
Old 03-27-2008, 01:28 AM

Take the belly meat!!! That goof Skykomish Sunburn showed me how to clean them and it is a substantial portion of meat. In my opinion it isnt as tasty as the back straps but should be eaten. At the edm sportsman show while chatting with one of the local celebs, burbot belly flaps came up and he too agreed that it should be taken as it is very edible.