Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 AM

Default Ugly Stiks etc. Why downsell?

Reading OneGirlWolfPack's thread about getting a new rod and reel got me thinking about something I see on here surprisingly regularly...people downselling gear.

I know that Ugly Stik rods, and some Canadian Tire combos have their place, and that there is nothing specifically wrong with them, but it blows my mind to see somebody set a budget of $250-$300 and then have the ol' Ugly Stik suggested to them.

I don't want people to take this the wrong way either...I'm not bashing the more budget minded gear at all or anything like that...heck, I still have plenty of budget gear in my basement, but if somebody was car shopping and had a budget of say, $100k, you wouldn't suggest that they go out and buy a PT Cruiser...would you?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 AM

PT Cruiser. Pfftt. I'd suggest a Volvo XC70. Which would still be a lot under the budget.

In looking at why I would do that . . . because I really, really love them. Loving them as much as I do . . . I think everyone should have and enjoy one.

Maybe it is the same with the folks who suggest the Ugly Stik? If someone loves her/his Ugly Stik, and doesn't see the need for anything different, maybe s/he feels that the money saved is money that could be well spent elsewhere?

Edit: I'll add that I have an Ugly Stik that I quite enjoy. It is my only pink fishing rod. It was a b-day from one of my sister-in-laws.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.

Last edited by DarkAisling; 08-16-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Banned

I used to really like the Ugly Stik, I've got 3, but I lost all faith when I went to pop a dipsey diver while I was using the "Heavy" Ugly Stik and it blew up! There was white fluffy fiberglass floating all thru the air. Life time warranty LOL! They want more for shipping than the rods cost in the store. I still keep them for the kids to use, but its like everything else, the older I get the more my gear seems to cost. I guess for the price they're tuff, but if you want to have something WORTH more than $40, your not going to get it with an Ugly Stik.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM

Default aways knocking uglies

For 90 % of fisher people a 500.00 outfit is like buying a Ferrari to drive the bratz to soccer practice. But it you got the money why not.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM

I agree if u got the coin to spend and feel it necessary, then by all means buy whatever one pleases. I always back the Ug Stick. 4 of 6 of main rods I use are uglies. I suggest them to people simply because the value for your buck. Yes they are not the best rod on the market obviously, but from my XP they have never ever failed me in anyway whatsoever EVER. Thus, I suggest them to people. And I have hauled in plenty o large fish on them too. Plenty.

Spose if I had a buncha extra cash I'd possibly upgrade but doubt it. Not for fishing in AB anyway. At the end of the day I'll use any rod anywhere lol, I'm not overly particular. But my gear needs to be tough, cuz I play hard. And the Uglies just keep on bringing em to shore, so I'm Stick'n with them

Cheers!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:25 PM

A bad workman always blames his tools....

I use and ugly stick combo and some Costco special I picked up a few years ago. I have no problem catching a plethora of fish with either of them...
Old 08-16-2013, 01:55 PM

To add a ill further.

DA and NEWB make valid points.

I don't upgrade simply because if it ain't broke I ain't fixing it. All the extra cash I save on not buying expensive rods/reels that are unnecessary FOR ME, leaves me lotsa extra moolah to spend on fly gear
Agree also that its more the fight in the man, not the man in the fight. You don't NEED to have top of line to have success. I spent a lot of money in my earlier years discovering this about golf hahaha. My clubs could be made of gold, I was destined to NOT be the next Tiger Woods doh!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 PM

My pike ones are great, fantastic for slugging it out with pike in the weeds. the 13' surf caster I have will be replaced before the next mexico trip too heavy so a lighter rod is in order more money should have been spent there.

Hey it's there money but even with a bigger budget the ugly stick lets you shif money t the reel.

But then comes the question, what is more important the rod or the reel.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 PM

Default Rod or the reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post

But then comes the question, what is more important the rod or the reel.
Good question, with a good, good rod, you can feel the walleye suck the bait in and spit it before you know it, without holding your finger on the line, but when you set the hook you need a reel with a good drag, unless you back reel, then use what you like.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:05 PM

Default missed point

I think you are missing Geezle's point.

OGWP wanted advice for a certain price range. If she has decided on a certain budget you should respect that and give her the information she requested. I get that you think that Ugly Sticks are the bee's knees. If some one told you you were wasting money on your Ugly Stick and Mitchel 300 reel and you should be using a hand line and then went on to brag that they could out-fish you with your fancy rod, you would think they were a D-bag.

I think Geezle was asking to stop being D-bags.

An interesting thread would be one examining the quality to price ratio that you get for different rods and reels. It would be cool to do some blind testing to see if the high end gear is worth the extra bucks.

But the real fact is that it is all subjective, if buying the high end (or low end) gear improves the experience for you, who should argue?

Foo Out.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post

OGWP wanted advice for a certain price range. If she has decided on a certain budget you should respect that and give her the information she requested. I get that you think that Ugly Sticks are the bee's knees. If some one told you you were wasting money on your Ugly Stick and Mitchel 300 reel and you should be using a hand line and then went on to brag that they could out-fish you with your fancy rod, you would think they were a D-bag.

An interesting thread would be one examining the quality to price ratio that you get for different rods and reels. It would be cool to do some blind testing to see if the high end gear is worth the extra bucks.

But the real fact is that it is all subjective, if buying the high end (or low end) gear improves the experience for you, who should argue?

Foo Out.
X2 Even I figured that out and sometimes I don't catch the hidden suddleties , but this one jumps out .
Old 08-16-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post

Foo Out.
First off, we're D-bags for giving our input...um ok. Second off, seems u have taken offence for some reason, pretty sure Geezle is not calling us all D bags for suggesting a rod, he just wanted to know why they seem popular. Third, OGWP seemed to like the input everyone gave her and the replies created a great thread. Fourth off, Seems like you are the one trying to stir the pot for some unknown reason and create an arguement. Ie) childish name calling for no reason.
Fifth, your name is very appropriate, cept u missed the L. We get it though. And yes you should stay Out. Douche.

Sorry Geezle: don't wanna derail your thread but this fella is well, yaaaa....

Cheers

Edit: I get that OGWP had a higher budget. Does that mean we can't offer input. Sheesh, really guys. BBJ, sad to see you support this guy but to each their own.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:21 PM

Default You have to ask ....

IS it luck or is it skill. ??
Old 08-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Banned

I think the style of fishing you do may change the style of rod you use. If you are shore fishing with a pickerel rig and the rod in a holder, you are not holding the rod and reel, so sensitivity is not something your really going to be concerned with. Slip bobber fishing is another, you are not holding a taught line to the hook, so sensitivity is not really an issue. If you do a lot of jig, or lindy rig fishing, I think the more sensitive rods may increase your success IMO, but the truth is, use whatever equipment you like, and have confidence in, as long as you are fishing it is all good!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Well put Bob. I was gonna touch on that but my poor mood at the time got in the way.
I will pls the nay sayers and say this. Uglies are not the best for sensitivity.

I use them for still fishing because I do like to put rod down once in awhile, trolling from yak, or if I'm fishing unknown waters...simply because they are strong and can handle a lot(ie: snags, big fish).
Sensitivity, could be better.

"N that's all I got to say bout that"
F. Gump

Cheers
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Banned

There has been an Ugly Stick Lite for 15 yrs. They are nice rods.
Never fail. I use it for all fishing in Alberta. 15lb rating.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:19 PM

viva la revolution!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 PM

Ugly sticks are great for whippin' the kids, staking up the tomatoes and bait fishing for bull sharks. lol - just teasing ....

They are simply not very sensitive, are old technology with parabolic action that have their place in someone else's arsenal where mediocre performance in a few applications is fine - but i wont be buying one anytime soon.

Ugly Sticks are is simply inferior rods for most fishing applications but then again - they are like 40 bucks and indestructible.

I certainly wouldn't recommend them to someone looking to upgrade to something nice.

I agree with Geezle completely and will also underpin and support Bobalong's comments ........ but whatever ............ everyone has their opinions, unfortunately not all opinions are reality.

Use an Ugly stick next to a decent mid-market rod and jig for walleyes when they are hitting soft .......... for another $20 bucks you can see a BIG difference.

to even compare it to a good rod would just be silly - there is ZERO comparison.

And congratulations to all of you who have caught hundreds of fish on the old ugly - perhaps you would have hooked even more if you felt the bite or were able to set the hook a little deeper ................
Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Lol, I won't bother.
Good day to y'all.

May your Schwartz guide y'all to the fishies.
I will not voice opinion anymore.
Just lurk.

Cheers n GL all.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 PM

My favorite fishing rods are the ones that when you cast, the tip half pulls out and goes flying off into the water along with the hook.

Always the best when thirty people are watching.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Lol, I won't bother.
Good day to y'all.

May your Schwartz guide y'all to the fishies.
I will not voice opinion anymore.
Just lurk.

Cheers n GL all.
Fishfinder

If you are happy with what you have, that is all that matters. Its just that there are some other choices out there.

Some rods are specialized, others are more General Purpose. Or the fisherman uses them as general purpose or for a specialized purpose. Rod selection is totally up to the individual.

That said, almost every rod is suited for a particular method or 2. I have many rods and have rods selected for pretty specific purposes. Not all anglers have the need or desire to go that route.

Cost is another factor. Whatever you can afford is good. Most of my rods are low to mid range. Most of my trolling rods are the low end while my casting and jigging rods are mid range and "sensitive".

Sensitive no longer means stiff/inflexible. But soft loading rods like yours can still be a benfit in many situations(mind you still not my choice).

Never give up on here. Your voice is as important as anyone elses!

Good luck and good fishing!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 PM

OP Also in the other thread there were those that were trying to upsell as well

Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 PM

Thx Hunts. X2. Yes I am happy with my stix. And they serve their purpose, as do my many other non ugly rods. But since this was an Ugly thread, I posted bout them. Just don't have the time nor patience to deal with snide comments. I could care less what anyone uses or what anyone thinks in all seriousness, just stating opinion based on Xp.
Don't fret, I'll never give up on here. It's an awesome site that I have learned tons from and will continue to do so.
Just wont comment as much, like sooooo many others that have done the same.

When the new record sturgeon comes in, Wayne or I will be sure to include the ug stick in the pics.
I'll maybe jig for tiny walleye in the winter in between time, and if I do, I will make sure to include the 500$ rod in pic, that I couldn't have caught them without... Hahahahahaha, meh!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:33 AM

I feel bad that my thread sparked this one. I can see why it did but I also knew when I made my thread that I would get a lot of personal opinions that weren't really about what I was asking for but I appreciated all the comments. I actually learned a ton from that thread.

I've fished with other people's ugly stiks and while I think they're awesome for big heavy fish, etc, I also found them hard to handle and ultimately too heavy for me. I have two 'beater' sticks that I use for pike and heavier weights but the reality is I don't fish for those fish very often because I have a bad shoulder.

The reason I chose my budget isn't because I'm rolling in money, because I'm not. It was for a personal reason. I have spent my whole life taking care of others at the expense of myself. I wouldn't have it any other way but it does take a toll. Anyone who knows me knows how difficult my life is and how much I sacrifice to help other people. No I'm not saying I'm some saint who deserves kudos. I'm saying I have always made the choice to put everyone else first and for once I wanted to do something nice for myself so I chose a rod that I would have never gotten myself before.

I said in my thread that this rod wouldn't make me a better fisherman but today I learned I was really wrong about that. Lol! What I learned is that my rod knows damn well its new user has no skills and it seemed to enjoy letting me know. Ask Wayne Christie how funny it was watching me today. Did my rod live up to its high sensitivity rating? Sure did. I felt every fish I failed to hook. With my old rod I just thought nothing was biting. LOL! My new rod is going to make me a better fisherman because its going to let me know I'm a crappy one until I no longer am. It reeled in beautifully. There's just no comparison to my other rods. Doesn't mean I'll stop using my other rods because they have their place too.

Anyway I really did appreciate everyone's advice in that thread.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Banned

At the end of the day what matters is the person using the equipment is satisfied with what he or she bought and it gets them the results they were hoping for.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:45 AM

Don't feel bad at all OGWP, u did nothing wrong whatsoever. Spoke to Wayne tonight, glad u like your new setup. Sounds like its suited for exactly what u were looking for. Like said, was only giving my suggestion based on personal Xp. I didn't realize it would upset all the self proclaimed proffesionals on here. What a joke.

Moving forward, I will just pm.

Again, glad u like the new rig, looks noice n I'm sure it will do you wonders.
At the end of the day, rod n reel mean little as opposed to how you handle it, presentation and location. Oops, that was an opinion...flame away boyz.

Peace out hombres
Old 08-17-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGirlWolfPack View Post
I said in my thread that this rod wouldn't make me a better fisherman but today I learned I was really wrong about that. Lol! What I learned is that my rod knows damn well its new user has no skills and it seemed to enjoy letting me know. Ask Wayne Christie how funny it was watching me today. Did my rod live up to its high sensitivity rating? Sure did. I felt every fish I failed to hook. With my old rod I just thought nothing was biting. LOL! My new rod is going to make me a better fisherman because its going to let me know I'm a crappy one until I no longer am. It reeled in beautifully. There's just no comparison to my other rods. Doesn't mean I'll stop using my other rods because they have their place too.

Anyway I really did appreciate everyone's advice in that thread.
That is EXACTLY what a few people were trying to say ........ a good quality rod will provide a better result.

I am glad you like it - enjoy it and hammer more of those nibbling little buggers your ugly stick never knew existed .......

Without ever having a good rod to compare to a poor one - you would have never known what you were missing. Better equipment will enhance your ability to perform better.

Enjoy your new rod .......
Old 08-17-2013, 10:52 AM

x2

Old 08-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Number one OGWP, a person cant post that the sky is blue without the resident panel of experts running to 3 or 4 pages of arguements about it. Number two, thank you for sharing your new rod inauguration day with me, I dont know which was more entertaining, your 3 foot casts or me flailing my arm trying to grab a handle on the wrong side of the reel you did great, although it did take you a whole 3 minutes to catch your first fish on the new gear, the anticipation was killing me! you are going to catch a ton of fish with that setup!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Wayne - you are 100% correct ....... any question, opinion or statement on a public forum is certainly going to get lot's of armchair experts, differing opinions etc... with different levels of expertise and experience. Most of the information is pretty good and worth considering - some of it is, of course, is completely false.

Generally, if you post a question - you have to wade through all of it, hopefully coming out in the end with a consensus and/or opinion of your own.

Really, that the intent of a forum.

At the end of the day - different strokes for different folks.

I generally buy mid market $60-$75 rods for most applications BUT for a few, where greater quality in a rod is needed, I spring up to the $100-$200 range for the rod.

I tend to spend significantly more money on the reels - Averaging $130-$250 but, in the end, what counts, is I am happy with my decision. I realize, that maybe I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy expensive toys and appreciate that not everyone is in the same situation.

I am happy to hear OGWP is happy with her set-up.

As far as putting the reel on the wrong side - I agree with you - there is nothing more awkward than that - lol....... switch it around on her next time you are out and take a video for us ............. keep the posts coming ........ you should add "KING OF STURGEON" under your business card.