Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 PM

This is interesting lol I find thy even if I wanted a $300 rid I don't think I could bring myself to buy one and it not like I can't afford it. $300 is a lot if money, plus I work in BC for oak bay up just off langera island and they use 9ft shamanos the same one you can get at walmart with a shamano 2000 mooching reel and people where catching huge fish on those so. If you have the money and you would like to spoil your self what the heck you can't take it when you dye right, but the cheep stuff works. Just don't judge the ones that can't afford the pricey stuff. Tight line everyone
Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM

Oh, and also! You know you have a good rod when... if your hook gets snagged on something, and you use the tip of your rod to untangle it, and you snap the end eyelet off and all you have to do is break off the rod shaft to the next nearest eyelet and then you just keep on fishin'. Oh yeah, you know you got a good rod.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:47 PM

a better rod will produce a better result??

I was one of the ones who posted in favour of the ugly stick and the rest of the cash on lures. It is my belief and a few others that posted along the same idea... that you have line and ahook to fish.. the rod and reel has very little effect as long as you present the lure properly and where it needs to go. You see your line move on light bites. If the fish is biting hard enough to move the line enough to bend the end of ANY ROD ugly stick or a super sensitive rod.. you should and would have seen the line move first. if the fish are biting that lightly, like perch or sunfish they litterally suck at the worm ends. we used to catch them on solid poles, no movement when we were kids and had no fishing rods or reels. So I cant agree with that post about a better or different rod will give you a better result.

I have the same idea when it comes to hunting. ive seen some similar posts in the hunting forum, does a 2000 dollar gun make you a better hunter then if you owned a 250 dollar gun. yes i still hunt with an old gun as well its actually a hand me down but it still shoots straight. it actually has zero to do with your success. your success comes from the bullet being placed properly. Same as your lure placement. practice practice fish fish.

There was lots of suggestions, and I have no issues with anyone spending their money on anything. I myself plan on buying a new gun (merry christmas to me, i will likely be here asking for opinions on newer guns), not because I think it will help me take a deer but because Im finally in a spot I can afford to. I guarantee the deer doesnt know that the bullet came from a budget gun or a sniper rifle. Nor does the fish know you have a better rod, only thing the fish sees is your LURE. But when someone asks for suggestions. We all like to suggest and give them as many ideas to think over as they can. She asked about a budget and i think everyone who suggested a cheaper rod and reel mentioned filling the rest of the budget with lures.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post

I was one of the ones who posted in favour of the ugly stick and the rest of the cash on lures. It is my belief and a few others that posted along the same idea... that you have line and ahook to fish.. the rod and reel has very little effect as long as you present the lure properly and where it needs to go. You see your line move on light bites. If the fish is biting hard enough to move the line enough to bend the end of ANY ROD ugly stick or a super sensitive rod.. you should and would have seen the line move first. if the fish are biting that lightly, like perch or sunfish they litterally suck at the worm ends. we used to catch them on solid poles, no movement when we were kids and had no fishing rods or reels. So I cant agree with that post about a better or different rod will give you a better result.

I have the same idea when it comes to hunting. ive seen some similar posts in the hunting forum, does a 2000 dollar gun make you a better hunter then if you owned a 250 dollar gun. yes i still hunt with an old gun as well its actually a hand me down but it still shoots straight. it actually has zero to do with your success. your success comes from the bullet being placed properly. Same as your lure placement. practice practice fish fish.

There was lots of suggestions, and I have no issues with anyone spending their money on anything. I myself plan on buying a new gun (merry christmas to me, i will likely be here asking for opinions on newer guns), not because I think it will help me take a deer but because Im finally in a spot I can afford to. I guarantee the deer doesnt know that the bullet came from a budget gun or a sniper rifle. Nor does the fish know you have a better rod, only thing the fish sees is your LURE. But when someone asks for suggestions. We all like to suggest and give them as many ideas to think over as they can. She asked about a budget and i think everyone who suggested a cheaper rod and reel mentioned filling the rest of the budget with lures.
Agreed. A subpar angler is just a subpar angler.

You're better off spending the money and equipment to better locate the structures where fish like to habitat and the hardware to attract them.

The best and most expensive rod and reel will not aid you to catch fish if you are fishing in the wrong location with the wrong presentation and you have no idea what you're doing.

Granted you want the right tool for the right job.
You don't want a Dora the explorer 3' fishing rod if you're going for large (15lb + pike).

With that said I do believe there is a difference in reel quality. Ie) the internal workings of them, but I will never believe the best one is the most expensive one.

As for the rods.. I can't keep the fish off my combos I use. Power to you if you want to drop larger money on rods. I'm not convinced a $200.00 rod will help me catch more fish. If I was, I'd go buy a few in a heart beat.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Banned

Are we not just comparing apples and oranges here?
We are all just armchair recreational fishermen and women who like to spend our spare time on the water doing what we love most.
Whether we use a stick from a tree with line or a thousand dollar set up and every piece of technology available that is what we are.

Armchair recreational fishermen and women.

And yes I am one of them
Old 08-17-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post

There's a bigger difference between an Ugly Stick and a hundred dollar rod than there is between a 500 and 2000 dollar rifle, for what it's worth.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 AM

Wow, a lot of reactions to this thread that I didn't expect...and a couple I did

First off, OneGirlWolfPack, there's no reason for you to feel bad. The truth is that I've seen this phenomenon many times on this forum and had been wanting to ask that question for a while...your thread just brought that thought forward again

Secondly, to those I offended, I apologize. This thread was in no way meant to be a holier than though, elitist, my gear is better than yours thread. I was simply curious to the reasoning why somebody would suggest a $40 rod when a person is looking to buy a $150 rod, or whatever the dollar values may be.

Again, I'm not doing this to bash Ugly Stiks or budget gear in general as I have a lot of it that still gets used.

I do have to say though that having started out my fishing in Alberta with budget gear (including a light action Ugly Stik, and a med Ugly Stik) and slowly working my way up to more middle of the road gear that I do notice a significant difference between the feel and the action of the Ugly Stik compared to my Compre. When my lure is skipping off the bottom I can tell feel what's going on. When I'm pulling cranks I can feel the action of the lure, and can feel if it's fouled up. Didn't get that with the Ugly Stik.

Does that rod make me a better fisherman? Unlikely. But it does give me a lot more feedback than a glass rod would...it's up to me what to do with said feedback. What I do know is that the rod is much lighter and more comfortable to use constantly, and to be honest...I just plain like it. Maybe I buy the rods I do more for me than the fish...after all, the fish doesn't know what rod I'm using...

edit: I will add that starting off with more budget minded gear and working up has really helped me appreciate the nicer stuff that I do have and the differences between them

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geezle; 08-18-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Personally, I'd rather spend 4 or 5 hours casting small lures with a light weight graphite rod than with a heavy fibreglass one. The catch rate may be no diferent (I believe it would be but you may disagree) but my shoulder sure feels the diference.
However, if I was just soaking baits there would not be much diference.
I agree with Geezle though, if someones wants a nice V8 sports car, why recommend they buy a Honda Civic?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 AM

I have to say, if I spent time fishing for small finicky fish in lakes or little streams, (pike and smaller) Id probably want maybe a fancier rod, but for my preferred fishing I need to be able to fling big weights, rip hooks out of sunken tree roots, and fight fish that could realistically reach 100 pounds plus and drag a mac truck behind them. My choice of gear is based on real use, my 1000 pound rated tiger rods oddly enough can detect a little crayfish pinching off pieces of my bait. Everyone needs to select their gear based on their own fishing style, needs and for sure preferences. Variety is the spice of life.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich

Last edited by WayneChristie; 08-18-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I have to say, if I spent time fishing for small finicky fish in lakes or little streams, (pike and smaller) Id probably want maybe a fancier rod, but for my preferred fishing I need to be able to fling big weights, rip hooks out of sunken tree roots, and fight fish that could realistically reach 100 pounds plus and drag a mac truck behind them. My choice of gear is based on real use, my 1000 pound rated tiger rods oddly enough can detect a little crayfish pinching off pieces of my bait. Everyone needs to select their gear based on thir on fishing style, needs and for sure preferences. Variety is the spice of life.
I totally agree...that having been said, your Ugly Tiger rod is still a more technique specific rod compared to the basic run-of-the-mill Ugly Stik

Heck, I have a fiberglass Berkley Glow Stick for just the same purpose (as well as a couple other slightly lighter rods...I'm a bit of a gear hound )

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 AM

I never used to spend much on fishing setups, needed more for the beer and other amenities that seem to go along with fishing. Now that I have some better gear, I definitely think it has its place, and can help to make you a better fisherman/woman. Buy what you can afford to get you out there, upgrade as you feel its needed or warranted. Other than that its all just an opinion, and we all know what they are like...
Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Wow, a lot of reactions to this thread that I didn't expect...and a couple I did

First off, OneGirlWolfPack, there's no reason for you to feel bad. The truth is that I've seen this phenomenon many times on this forum and had been wanting to ask that question for a while...your thread just brought that thought forward again

Secondly, to those I offended, I apologize. This thread was in no way meant to be a holier than though, elitist, my gear is better than yours thread. I was simply curious to the reasoning why somebody would suggest a $40 rod when a person is looking to buy a $150 rod, or whatever the dollar values may be.

Again, I'm not doing this to bash Ugly Stiks or budget gear in general as I have a lot of it that still gets used.

I do have to say though that having started out my fishing in Alberta with budget gear (including a light action Ugly Stik, and a med Ugly Stik) and slowly working my way up to more middle of the road gear that I do notice a significant difference between the feel and the action of the Ugly Stik compared to my Compre. When my lure is skipping off the bottom I can tell feel what's going on. When I'm pulling cranks I can feel the action of the lure, and can feel if it's fouled up. Didn't get that with the Ugly Stik.

Does that rod make me a better fisherman? Unlikely. But it does give me a lot more feedback than a glass rod would...it's up to me what to do with said feedback. What I do know is that the rod is much lighter and more comfortable to use constantly, and to be honest...I just plain like it. Maybe I buy the rods I do more for me than the fish...after all, the fish doesn't know what rod I'm using...

edit: I will add that starting off with more budget minded gear and working up has really helped me appreciate the nicer stuff that I do have and the differences between them
Meh,

No offense taken. . Personally I just don't see the benefit in spending a few hundred on a rod when any rod will be sufficient if the Angler possesses skill.

Reels are a different story. One can usually tell the difference in quality, longevity and functionality in different price ranges. However there comes a point when one must ask "am I paying a premium for an average product based on brand name?"

When I go out I land boat loads of good sized walleye and pike in a very short time with my budget gear.

If Im going for salmon or Muskies.. I'll purchase a rod and tackle for that application.

For me fishing comes down to skill, location, hardware, bait (if applicable).

However it is imperative to have the right type of rod for what your purpose will be

Last edited by NEWB; 08-18-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
Meh,

No offense taken. . Personally I just don't see the benefit in spending a few hundred on a rod when any rod will be sufficient if the Angler possesses skill.

Reels are a different story. One can usually tell the difference in quality, longevity and functionality in different price ranges. However there comes a point when one must ask "am I paying a premium for an average product based on brand name?"

When I go out I land boat loads of good sized walleye and pike in a very short time with my budget gear.

If Im going for salmon or Muskies.. I'll purchase a rod and tackle for that application.

For me fishing comes down to skill, location, hardware, bait (if applicable).

However it is imperative to have the right type of rod for what your purpose will be
First I'm not the greatest fisherman on these boards, but there is a very discernable difference between my ugly stick, and my FX MH 9' Shimano that I bought for my niece to use and abuse. Both of those rods are dirt cheap, both have almost no sensation to them when a walleye is light nibbling. I have to be t here holding my line. I've had friends fishing with me who think I completely zoned out when I am sitting there with my finger on my line feeling if anything is happening. The reality is I'm still there but I have to pay very specific attention to what is going on.

I had a friend recently let me borrow his St. Croix Legend Elite, difference was massive, I could feel without paying any particular attention when something was nudging my bait. I got more productivity out of my fishing that way. I'm sure gear doesn't make the fisherman, but it damn well helps out.

What I see with good gear is the attempt to remove variables from the equation. If you have good stuff and the proper bait/ set up all that your left with to account for your failures is human error.

I have no doubt there are fishermen out there who can catch stuff with bailing twine, a tree branch, a coat hanger and a minnow, but I am not one of them. And now OGWP can't say its her gear that caused it to get away and neither can anyone else who is invested into their gear as much.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 PM

I have 3 ugly sticks and 3 pricey rods.... whats on my boat right now are the 3 ugly sticks.
they are a good tough rod plain and simple nothing fancy just gets the job done.
all 3 have improved reels i think if your going to spend the money on something it should be your reel.
my 2 cents.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post

Reels are a different story. One can usually tell the difference in quality, longevity and functionality in different price ranges.
I don't see that being a different story at all.

As a sidenote to everybody, this was never meant to be an Ugly Stik vs. the world or expensive gear vs. inexpensive gear thread...the Ugly Stik was just an example as it's the one that comes up most often.

The original question basically boiled down to if somebody is looking for a nice setup in a given price range, why undersell?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 PM

Meh, no offence taken here Either Geezle. In the end, a lot of good points were brought up and for the most part I agree with them all.
Cheerio
Old 08-19-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:

As a sidenote to everybody, this was never meant to be an Ugly Stik vs. the world or expensive gear vs. inexpensive gear thread...the Ugly Stik was just an example as it's the one that comes up most often.

The original question basically boiled down to if somebody is looking for a nice setup in a given price range, why undersell?
Are the components inside the reel not better for the mid to high end priced reels?

I picked up a fishergirl (sp) rod and reel combo from walmart for my daughter a few weeks back. She boated a nice 20.5 inch walleye with it on her first time using it. Not too shabby for a 3.5 year old..

After a few uses I noticed the reel was starting to wobble. When reeling in. I expected this as the rod and reel combo was about $30.00.

The mid range rod and reel combo's ($50.00 to $80.00) seem to be better reel wise. These are a few that I have.

Granted there are different applications and strengths for the reels. Perhaps the 20.5 inch walleye was too much for this reel to handle...
Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 PM

I don't think you have to spend a bunch to get a good set up , that being said I HATE ugly sticks there is no back bone to them it would be like fishing with a wet noodle, I prefer a nice stiff rod ( that's what she said ) so when the fish do bite you can drive that hook in when you set it and not just pull it out their mouths
There are a lot of good options out there , my favorites are the Berkley lightning rods and just my own superstitious thing any rod I use has to have a cork handle
Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:

Experience , too many can talk the talk and stumble on the side walk . However today gear makes the angler, apperantlly (not directed at any one). Its easy to see joe palooka drop 5bills at bass pro because he knows next to naught abought fishing. When the old boy thats fished for ever spends way less and still gets what he "needs" .way too many weekend warriors with F1 gear and the skills of a learner.
Always look for gear that you can actually use to its best not the best you think you can actualy use. imo
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM

These answer to Geezle's question is pretty simple IMHO.

Widely varying opinions and responses are a given on any public forum. Regardless of the details of the question asked, people want to post their opinion and their recommendation, and those opinions/recommendations are based on their experience and their preferences. Therefore they tend to recommend what they currently have and use, for obvious reasons. I think that's why you get so many responses that are completely off topic or off budget of the OP.

The rest of the debate about higher end gear vs medium or lower end gear or the importance of the gear vs. the skill of the fisherman, hunter, etc... follows from there as everyone tries to justify and defend their opinion/recommendaton. It's very predictable, and it happens everywhere, it's not unique to AO.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

I'll have to read this thread when I have more time.

I'm betting that it'll be very similar to a Savage vs Sako rifle thread in the guns and ammo section.....lol.

I can understand why someone would suggest saving money and getting an Ugly Stik as opposed to an expensive one. Both will catch fish just like both rifles will shoot deer.

A thread about whether or not an expensive rod vs an Ugly Stik would probably be pretty entertaining.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'll have to read this thread when I have more time.

I'm betting that it'll be very similar to a Savage vs Sako rifle thread in the guns and ammo section.....lol.

I can understand why someone would suggest saving money and getting an Ugly Stik as opposed to an expensive one. Both will catch fish just like both rifles will shoot deer.

A thread about whether or not an expensive rod vs an Ugly Stik would probably be pretty entertaining.
Great idea! After reading this I had to create one!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM

For abuse ugly stick or rhino indestructables are great. I use them set line on river when sensitivity don't matter.

When sensitivity matters........ I can feel bites on my 7foot2inch one piece shimano cumera when there is SLACK I'm the line! No doubt in my mind the ugly stick will never make it on my tourney boat.

These days rod materials are top notch and as said the old graphite core fiberglass combo is old technology. Any body out there running an old apple II computer? I doubt it.

My opinion...... You'll catch more fish on a higher quality rod. Many on here may remember me up selling ugly stix and wallmart reels (they come with the same made in china sticker!) years ago. Not anymore!!

To the post on the ugly stix blowing up..... I suspect your rod had damage prior.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
My favorite fishing rods are the ones that when you cast, the tip half pulls out and goes flying off into the water along with the hook.

Always the best when thirty people are watching.
LoL i just remembered this exact thing happening to me... Thanks for the laugh.