Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM

Default Topwater pike at Wabamun

I'm camping at Wabamun for the first time right now. Catching some decent pike but I'm now on a top-water mission. I've had some good strikes and takes on a green buzzbait right by the train bridge but can't get anything to the boat yet. Any ideas on a good spot for topwater baits? Not too much wind and 8-12 feet deep would be perfect. Not looking for honey holes or even big fish, just aggressive hammerhandles that will hit surface baits repeatedly while I figure out the hookset.

Also, I'm here for another 3 days fishing solo. I just have a 14' tinny with a 25hp but it's set up well for 2 people. If there's any shore fishermen or someone who doesn't get out much that want to join me for a day or a couple hours PM me, it's always better fishing with a partner.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
I'm camping at Wabamun for the first time right now. Catching some decent pike but I'm now on a top-water mission. I've had some good strikes and takes on a green buzzbait right by the train bridge but can't get anything to the boat yet. Any ideas on a good spot for topwater baits? Not too much wind and 8-12 feet deep would be perfect. Not looking for honey holes or even big fish, just aggressive hammerhandles that will hit surface baits repeatedly while I figure out the hookset.

Also, I'm here for another 3 days fishing solo. I just have a 14' tinny with a 25hp but it's set up well for 2 people. If there's any shore fishermen or someone who doesn't get out much that want to join me for a day or a couple hours PM me, it's always better fishing with a partner.
out a bit and west of the peir at the town has been decent top water. Usually better in the spring top water but you should nail a few.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:57 PM

Topwater for pike works almost anywhere there are weeds. Find the weeds and you will find the pike lol.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 PM

Fishing top water for pile can be amazing. My first try sounded similar to what you're going thru. It was 2 days of countless strikes but zero fish hooked up. On the third day I figured it out. I had to wait. After they hit you have to control you're excitement and wait till the pike starts to swim with the hook. I guarantee this will result in many more hookups.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 PM

Bridge is an average spots, but dealing with all the traffic is annoying, and can spook fish. Good spots along the south part half way between reserve and Sundance PP in about 7-9 feet of water. Old canal from power plant I hear produces, and Fallis is a fav, as its got some darn nice structure.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:26 PM

Go to the west end of the town before you leave the bay. Right after youve passed the canal to the old power plant, there are some reeds there. Its shallow and you wont catch much big girls, but top water action all day there
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 PM

I always caught the best pike on the west end of the lake by Seba beach.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try those spots out today. I managed to get 2 on the buzzbait at the train bridge, didn't want to go very far out with those clouds. I took a picture of my best performing lures so far, in order from left to right.

The buzzbait, a 15' diving rapala, a Salmo Jack (my favorite) and a big Len Thompson #4 spoon.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM

I love using a 8" or 9" Zara Spook for top water - similar firetiger/perch pattern colors as above.

nothing cooler than watching it happen as you watch your lure ........