Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 PM

Default fishing trip: grayling or sturgeon?

I'm planning a fishing trip for mid september and am torn between going north for grayling or south for sturgeon. I've never caught or went after either so I'm looking for input as to which would be best to target at that time of year and any suggested spots for either, preferably within 6-8 hrs of calgary (not sure if that would put me in grayling country). of course any suggested spot or equipment would be much appreciated.

Thanks all
Old 08-19-2013, 05:38 PM

Sturgeon in the SSR can be tough to catch in Sept. There in there summer and winter holes and don't venture far from those holes. So the hard part is finding these holes and getting access to them. Not much shore access to the best holes. If you want to increase your odds, come when the waters high and dirty.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM

Grayling are in good form in September. Most of the grayling in streams and rivers are within 2 to 3 hours NW from Edmonton, which is 2.5 hrs. from Calgary. Last fall I went to the berland river south of whitecourt and caught 4 or 5 dozen in an afternoon with a silver spinner.

Not fully sure on the sturgeon but the North Saskatchewan river is very good fishing in September. Big pike, pickeral, and rocky mountain whites in the fall. quite a few sturgeon in the river are caught by Gennesee bridge 40 miles upstream of edmonton or the east side of edmonton by strathcona science park.

Good luck and enjoy, which ever you choose.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 AM

I am from Calgary and I have caught both sturgeon and grayling this month within 2-3 hours of Calgary. The SSR is slow right now but the sturgeon are there. Our group caught 3 on Saturday. We were at the Forks. Early in the month I was at Wedge Pond and the grayling are biting like crazy.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM

I know there's grayling near Calgary but figured I would dedicate a few days to explore and find wild native grayling instead of stocked.

I've read that little smoky, athabasca and hay have grayling. can anyone suggest a good spot where there is river access and camping, i've never been up that way. not looking for specifics, but i"ll take em.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Lots of choices north and west of Whitecourt. I love the Athabasca when the water is low enough to define pools and runs. Full of grayling and RM whitefish. Creeks are good also but are slowing down in September. The larger streams like Little Smokey and Berland are probably best.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 PM

Head to wild hay