Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 PM

Default New to fishing in Alberta

I just moved to Alberta and have always loved fishing. I'm from northern Ontario and have not done much Trout fishing. Only Spec fishing in the winter. Now from what I can see most of the fishing in the Cochrane area (where we live now) is trout fishing. I'm looking for help on how to get set up with lures, rod and reels etc.... I will be buying a boat in the very near future so any help and suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM

Not sure if you are wanting spincasting or fly fishing.

Spincasting:
6 or 7 ft. rod. light medium action. The Uglystick has a lifetime breakage warranty.

6 lb. test line.

mepps or pather martin spinners up to no. 2 size. I like no.1 size. various colors and silver. Also, small red devil or 5 of diamonds spoons.
(be sure to use an inline swivel or snap swivel to avoid line twist.)

rapala , trout pattern. from 2 to 6 inch sizes. sub surface or floating type.

a Clear float or two. with a float you can use a fly or streamer 6 or 7 feet behind the float and retrieve slowly. Flies: doc spratley, 52 buick, royal coachman, mosquito. minnow type streamers. I have had good success with these flies behind a float.

Lead head rubbertail jigs. I find them to work good when the water is a little off color in the rivers and streams. I caught lots of browns on them in the Bow by Canmore.

You should be able to catch trout anywhere in the province with this variety of hooks.

Flyfishing: You need someone else to tell you about that. I am a hardware fisherman.

As far as a boat, hopefully a boater can give you advice.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM

Thanks thats the exact advise I was looking for when it comes to the boat and that I have one already picked out!!!! But this will get me started forsure! When it comes to fly fishing I'm thinking of getting someone to teach me as I've never done it.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM

Youll want to seriously consider a fly rod for trout... Sure youll catch a few big browns on hardware but the ghost to bearspaw section of bow that runs through cochrane is full of small rainbows thatll pick a fly or nymph. Plus taking trout top water on a dry fly is awesome and makes trout fishing that much better. Jumpingpound Creek is a sweet fly fishing spot that runs through town as well and a great hike.