Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Default Glenmore Resevior

I'm thinking about heading to the Glenmore Resevior during my lunch break to throw in a line, but I've never been and don't know the best place to drive and park at. I work off 42nd ave SE and if anyone can pass along some directions I would appreciate the help.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 PM

Most places around glenmore have fish, different parts seem to have more of different types. You can try at the south glenmore area. Just be careful on the docks, apparently by law can slap you with a fine for that. Good thing I'm scared of docks with no railings.....heh...

Also the heritage park area is apparently good. I never fish it though. Not sure why. Right by the dam usually gets me a few pike. Same with the north glenmore park dock area. Just tie on a rapala or a spoon for a starter lure and give it a try. The pike in there seem to love spinners too.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Glenmore Resevior

Christofficer,

Thanks for the info, I was at the South Glenmore area this afternoon and did fish off the docks since other people were but had zero luck. Do you know which streets would get me into North Gelnmore or near the dam?

I also spent about 3 hours fly fishing in the Bow, but again no luck.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Uh... All i Know is North GlemorePark Rd gets you to North Glenmore Park. A good place is to walk down to the dock (They will kick you off if you fish on the dock) and then turn right. Some good spots are near the curve after walking 100m to the right from the dock.. Hope that made sence.. Hard to explain.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM

That does help. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 AM

I believe there is a regulation stating one cannot fish withing a certain distance of the dam (50 meters?). But i cannot seem to find it on the regs online. is it jsut a bylaw? or am i smoking something i should be?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
I believe there is a regulation stating one cannot fish withing a certain distance of the dam (50 meters?). But i cannot seem to find it on the regs online. is it jsut a bylaw? or am i smoking something i should be?
25m
Old 05-24-2011, 03:26 PM

ahhh thank you. is it a city of calgary bylaw? or is it in the regs somewhere and i just cant find it?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
The way I read it is 25m DOWNSTREAM of Dam, Weir etc. Can anyone clear this up?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfishin View Post
exactly the way it sounds
Old 05-24-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
25m
Quote:
22.86m, or 25 yards, to be precise
Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
22.86m, or 25 yards, to be precise
So we agree? You can fish against the dam wall on the resevoir side? Same with Caresland - right up to the weir, its just the downside with a restriction?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
So we agree? You can fish against the dam wall on the resevoir side? Same with Caresland - right up to the weir, its just the downside with a restriction?
Yep! There really isn't any ambiguity in the regs:
Fishing is prohibited by any method within 25 yards (22.86 m) downstream of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
i believe thats correct...unless there is a city law that states different
Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 PM

Talking

Quote:
Yep! There really isn't any ambiguity in the regs:
Fishing is prohibited by any method within 25 yards (22.86 m) downstream of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.
Righto Photo, I thought Gary K was unsure. But oddly enough, last time at the res. I was fishin - you guessed it, against the dam and a pair of fisherman at the point were staring at me like I was breaking some law. I started wondering after Gary K asked if maybe that was their issue.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Righto Photo, I thought Gary K was unsure. But oddly enough, last time at the res. I was fishin - you guessed it, against the dam and a pair of fisherman at the point were staring at me like I was breaking some law. I started wondering after Gary K asked if maybe that was their issue.
It happens! I was using a 2 treble Rapala Countdown on the bow a few weeks ago. This old boy who was flyfishing a little way down from me kept eyeing me up. Eventually he wandered upstream to me and started telling me off for using trebles in the Bow. Then told me off for having more than 1 hook. "All against the regs son!" he tells me repeatedly.

Luckily, I saved the regs book to my iPhone (a much slimmer version I edited in Adobe Acrobat Professional). Out comes the phone, and I show him the 2 sections of the regs that pertain to hooks (the part that defines what a hook is (up to 3 points on a common shaft), and the part about having up to 3 "hooks" on your line). He mumbled, and just wandered off.

I overheard him about 15 minutes later telling some passerby that I was fishing illegally.

I don't think he got it
Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
It happens! I was using a 2 treble Rapala Countdown on the bow a few weeks ago. This old boy who was flyfishing a little way down from me kept eyeing me up. Eventually he wandered upstream to me and started telling me off for using trebles in the Bow. Then told me off for having more than 1 hook. "All against the regs son!" he tells me repeatedly.

Luckily, I saved the regs book to my iPhone (a much slimmer version I edited in Adobe Acrobat Professional). Out comes the phone, and I show him the 2 sections of the regs that pertain to hooks (the part that defines what a hook is (up to 3 points on a common shaft), and the part about having up to 3 "hooks" on your line). He mumbled, and just wandered off.

I overheard him about 15 minutes later telling some passerby that I was fishing illegally.

I don't think he got it
hmm that kid was probilbly looking for a fight/some back talk to excite him because he never got any all day...
Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
hmm that kid was probilbly looking for a fight/some back talk to excite him because he never got any all day...
I wish it was a kid! I would have told him where to go, no doubt about it!

But it was some old chap in his 70s. Felt bad for the poor bugger - he seemed like he was a few sandwiches short of a picnic - so I just let it slide

But you're right - he did come over about 5 minutes after I landed a beautiful 20"+ brown
Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I wish it was a kid! I would have told him where to go, no doubt about it!

But it was some old chap in his 70s. Felt bad for the poor bugger - he seemed like he was a few sandwiches short of a picnic - so I just let it slide

But you're right - he did come over about 5 minutes after I landed a beautiful 20"+ brown
lol he sounds like a guy off the other forum..
Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
lol he sounds like a guy off the other forum..
the elitefisherman guy?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
the elitefisherman guy?
yeah thats his face
Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
the elitefisherman guy?
i didnt realy know anyother username to pick hmmm
Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 PM

"Luckily, I saved the regs book to my iPhone (a much slimmer version I edited in Adobe Acrobat Professional). "Out comes the phone, and I show him the 2 sections of the regs that pertain to hooks (the part that defines what a hook is (up to 3 points on a common shaft), and the part about having up to 3 "hooks" on your line)."

Am i reading correctly your reference to regs on hooks, Photo? You're allowed 3 treble hooks on one lure? I've been cutting hooks off my trebles for a long time. Perhaps i've misinterpreted....
Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsnfeathers View Post
Am i reading correctly your reference to regs on hooks, Photo? You're allowed 3 treble hooks on one lure? I've been cutting hooks off my trebles for a long time. Perhaps i've misinterpreted....
Yes, you can have up to 3 trebles on one line in AB. Here's the relevant parts of the regs:
It Is Unlawful To:
 Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).
So, you can have a line with 3 hooks or less. What's the definition of a hook? The regs say:
Hook – means a single-, double- or triple-pointed hook on a common shaft, and includes hooks attached to a lure. (Note: some legal lures appear to have a hook with four points, but actually have two shafts each with two points, meaning that this lure has two hooks).
Old 05-24-2011, 10:05 PM

and i thought i was too old to learn something........pfffftttt
Thx for the reply...sorry for the hijack!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsnfeathers View Post
and i thought i was too old to learn something........pfffftttt
Thx for the reply...sorry for the hijack!
Glad to help - who knows, it might improve your hook up rates!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 PM

One thing for people new to the Glenmore to bear in mind...no going in the water (wading, etc), and no inflatables.....the patrol is active, vigilant, and armed with fines.

One thing for everyone to be aware of...there have been quite some number of car break-ins in the parking lots recently, with plenty of fishing gear stolen.