Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 08:32 AM

Default General Rules For Air Rifle Hunting

Hello! I need some help with info!
I just got an air rifle. Under 500 fps which I know you dont need a firearms lisence for in Alberta. I only want to hunt rabbit which needs no lisence. I am also over 18 to own the air rifle.

My question is, can I just go to WMU 316 cause I was told it is rich with rabbit and hunt them? I dont think i need my AHEIA course done or anything but a little bit of clarification would be great!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 AM

If it is a .177 cal I would think twice before trying that. You will likely end up with more wounded rabbits running into the brush to die than you will get on the dinner table. Not super ethical IMO.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:24 AM

I forgot to say! It is a .22 caliber
Old 01-27-2019, 09:30 AM

You should be good to go then. Take headshots, welcome to the forum.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:04 AM

If for close range 15 yards maximum, head or neck shot, sub 500 fps is good enough. Body shots they could just running away and die you never found it.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 PM

Now do I need a lisence of any kind to hunt them? Or can I just go out and shoot them? Also! I got a pocket stove that I want to try out. Can I use it anywhere as long as there isn't a fire ban?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:54 AM

After going through the Alberta hunting regulations for you (yes this is a hint that you should also have a paper copy or read the entire thing online) I did not find anywhere that you will need a license of any kind for rabbits or squirrels. It reads:

“Wildlife Certificate
Hunters must possess a valid Wildlife Certificate and the applicable hunting licence to hunt big game or game birds.”

I personally wouldn’t take online advice as the final say, it would be in your best interest to contact a fish and wildlife office. Also, the AHEIA Hunters Ed course would also be invaluable for anyone wishing to get outside into the woods and hunt anything. I would recommend that.

Make sure you have permission to access the land you wish to hunt or know that it is public/crown land. Know your firearm discharge laws, as a firearm is classified as “anything that causes a projectile”.

Download iHunter Alberta (if you’re in Alberta) and get familiar with it. Buy the landowner maps for the areas you are targeting.

Happy hunting.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 AM

Default well

He's not hunting game birds or big game so no license required. Like shooting gophers,starlings,English Sparrows or pigeons on a farm. If pellet gun in question was over 500fps he would require a PAL to be in possession of it.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:27 PM

It is under 500fps. I will get the Ihunt alberta app though! Was told it let's you know what is public land and private sand all that.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
After going through the Alberta hunting regulations for you (yes this is a hint that you should also have a paper copy or read the entire thing online) I did not find anywhere that you will need a license of any kind for rabbits or squirrels. It reads:

“Wildlife Certificate
Hunters must possess a valid Wildlife Certificate and the applicable hunting licence to hunt big game or game birds.”

I personally wouldn’t take online advice as the final say, it would be in your best interest to contact a fish and wildlife office. Also, the AHEIA Hunters Ed course would also be invaluable for anyone wishing to get outside into the woods and hunt anything. I would recommend that.

Make sure you have permission to access the land you wish to hunt or know that it is public/crown land. Know your firearm discharge laws, as a firearm is classified as “anything that causes a projectile”.

Download iHunter Alberta (if you’re in Alberta) and get familiar with it. Buy the landowner maps for the areas you are targeting.

Happy hunting.

Squirrels are a fur bearer. There’s a different set of regulations for them and I’m guessing he’s not the trapper or on his registered line.

Rabbits are a free for all.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Squirrels are a fur bearer. There’s a different set of regulations for them and I’m guessing he’s not the trapper or on his registered line.

Rabbits are a free for all.
Correct, Crown Land red squirrel are off limits. Only private land can you hunt red squirrel.

LC
Old 01-28-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Correct, Crown Land red squirrel are off limits. Only private land can you hunt red squirrel.

LC

That is what I figured. Thanks for the clarification
Old 01-28-2019, 05:45 PM

Now that bring a new question or may be I should start a new thread.....

There are PCP airguns with .25 and .30 caliber and they are able to kill a deer.
What are the rules for using them in Alberta? Since they are over the required caliber, will they be allowed within a reasonable distance?
Old 01-28-2019, 06:02 PM

Default grey area for now

They are made up to .50 caliber Nothing new as The Austrians used them against the French and Lewis and Clark took one across the US while surveying the new territory.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:10 PM

Hunting rabbits with the low fps,will require head shots at close range.i would suggest a pellet like a Polymag.They are fairly accurate & those low fps ,you'll need some help.....You can also get some info .The Canadian Air gun forum.It;s all about airguns..Youtube also has tons of video on hunting rabbits,with airguns..
Old 01-28-2019, 10:47 PM

Now another question. Do I need AHEIA certification to hunt rabbit? Or is it just recommended to go for and have an easier time to hunt?
Old 01-29-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodan1 View Post
Now another question. Do I need AHEIA certification to hunt rabbit? Or is it just recommended to go for and have an easier time to hunt?
No you don't need just for snowshoe hares.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk