Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

Default Lake newell summer/2009

We might as well get an annual report going for Newell as well people.

Again I will kick it off.

We were out on the lake Tuesday for most of the day, well from about 1:00 p:m until 9:30 p:m. The wind was quite bad and made for some very tough fishing. Anchoring was just about out of the question so we went to trolling different rigs and eventually settled on spinner rigs with either worms or Leeches. It took us a while to get on to them since this was my first time on the lake as well as my fishing partner's so we were at a bit of a disadvantage. With the help of a topo map I printed off of the SRD site I was able to locate some of the better structure and we concentrated on those area's. Like I said the wind was pretty tough with 3 - 4 footers most of the day with some I am sure pushing the 5ft mark. I will say I was sure glad I was in the big Lund she handled the water with a breeze. Thats where that big girl really shines is in water like that. Using the wind and back trolling we kept to the ledges and worked them over pretty good it wasn't the greatest day for production but we did manage 3 nice eye's in the 4# - 5# range and a few snot rockets just to make it interesting. Like I said this is my first kick at Newell and I definitely will be at it again. I have my class A tags for the lake so I have a good excuse to keep heading back. I could have filled the tags no sweat with our fish all three were well over 50cm with the fish coming in at 59, 60 & 62cm all really nice fish.

Here is a few pics.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Fantastic!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 PM

Walleyes, that last pic would be a good one for your Avatar pic
Old 06-26-2009, 07:09 AM

Nice looking fish. Good to see you caught a few. That lake can get really choppy really fast. Heading there tommorow and hope to have a good day. Sounds like the walleye are starting to turn on.