Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2009, 07:03 PM

Default Dead Fish

I recently did some walleye fishing down at marina bay in sylvan lake. I found 6 dead fish washed up on shore. After fishing for a couple hours it was very apparent what the problem was.

First: Unsupervised kids. There had to be over 10 kids 13 yrs old and younger out Bait fishing without someone there to properly handle the fish and remove the hooks in a timely and humain manner, without stepping on them or throwing on the rocks. These kids would toss the fish 10, 20 feet out into the water. This after having the fish out of the water for a unneeded amount of time.

Second: Bait fishing. I realize that it is not illegal to bait fish in a lake, but at the same time, bait fishing for a fish that you cannot keep makes no sense to me.

I would just like to see a C.O down at the lake making sure that this doesnt get carried away, so that no walleye fishing takes place.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 PM

I've seen the same but there were only adults there. Disgusting.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:09 PM

I wouldn't touch this thread with a 10 foot stripper pole. All I can do is this:

Old 06-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Give the C.O. a call, They do some good work teaching kids the reg's.

People need to supervise thier children!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:12 PM

some people,s kids.......and some peoples parents....
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Banned

whats wrong with using bait. i always get the hooks out easily
Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 PM

I will tell you what is wrong with bait for C&R !
the fish takes it really deep usually gut hooking it and its chance for survival is minimal.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

not that i have noticed....i can always get the hook out easily!!

maybe something to do with my amazing hooksets
Old 06-25-2009, 08:23 PM

I agree PD, this could be a long one
Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Banned

since the law is on my side i wont bother arguing opcorn
Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer loop View Post
the fish takes it really deep usually gut hooking it and its chance for survival is minimal.

Yah thats the problem,, bait unreal,, here we go again,, the perfects in this world are on patrol...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammat View Post
First: Unsupervised kids. There had to be over 10 kids 13 yrs old and younger out Bait fishing without someone there to properly handle the fish and remove the hooks in a timely and humain manner, without stepping on them or throwing on the rocks. These kids would toss the fish 10, 20 feet out into the water. This after having the fish out of the water for a unneeded amount of time. .
I spend a lot of time at the lake with the kids. If you take a minute and go over and explain to them the proper methods of catch and release they make an honest effort.

Many are urban kids from homes with a single parent or parents that are too busy entertaining themselves to spend time with their children. They simply don't know.

I buy them bait, lures, rods and reels in hopes they will become outdoors people. I take the time to teach the kids and I encourage my son to pass on eithical information and fishing tips.

Sylvan Lake is crawling with Walleye. It is not uncommon for my ten year old daughter to land 30-50 fish in an evening. There is a mortality rate but at a very small price compared to the benifit for these kids.

If you can't make an attempt to help educate and encourage children then you are missing a big part of the outdoor experience. Those ten kids could just as easily be smoking pot and playing video games, but instead have made a choice to enjoy honest fun in the outdoors.

Give them a break!

MK
Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 PM

well said MK2750
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 AM

I agree with MK also lets remember that you are not perfect and trust me if we watched you I am sure we could find something to complain. I know for a fact we all want to be able to enjoy the outdoors for a long time but pull your head out of you ass. If you truely felt like this was aproblem you would have and could have gone and talked to them and seen why they were doing this like that. Maybe like others said there parents bought them some fishing gear not knowing what they need as they dont fish there for maybe not having the proper tools to let fish go. Like needle nose pliers and such.

Remeber we can all be quick to judge but if you dont know the truth your are a moron and no better then the situation.

My 2 cents Tinman
Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 AM

I agree with the last couple of posts. I think if you went over and talked to them and explained the proper way of releasing fish and explained that what they are doing is harmful and and tell them that doing what they are doing cause harm and kill the fish and that would lead them to catching less fish. I know that the lake has an abundance of fish, but scare them into thinking that there actions could cause less fish for them to catch. If you show them that their actions could immediatly effect them, then I think they would think it over. I don't know if I would go as far as buying them/giving them equipment, but that's just me. However, with that being said, the way the world it is today you have to be careful talking to kids. You never know how the parents would react. I know if I saw a strange person talking to my kids I would definently be going over and seeing what's going on. And if the parents are ignorant you could get into an unwanted confortation
Old 06-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

Less typing.. More teaching.

Good on those kids being out and doing some fishing. Just need a bit of help is all.

Jamie
Old 06-26-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer loop View Post
You really don't catch much fish do you?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 PM

Default dead fish

I'm not saying this to brag, this is not out of the ordinary. I have caught multiple of 1000's of walleye out of CV. I have and will continue to use a jig with a minnow. with a good quick hook set. the jig will most always get set into the top of the mouth, with the barb less hooks they slip out with great ease. I have yet to see a fish not swim away as soon as it get back into the water
we were at sylvan early this year. and I did see a dead walleye in the marina. and I did see kids fishing on the rocks. next time I'm there I will spend some time with them teaching them how to release a fish if I see one being released in a improper manner
Old 06-26-2009, 02:25 PM

Good for anyone that will take the time to teach kids how to fish and how to properly handle fish! Respect for the outdoors and the animals, fish, plants etc is something that has to be learned from experiences with others who have that respect!
I don't think that the C&R with bait should ever be brought into this as it is the proper handling that will make more of a difference then arguing about why bait should or shouldn't be used
Education is the key!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 PM
brook trout

were did you get that smile?