Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
TOO FUNNY! And too true... I think we ALL suffer from a little bit of that syndrome from time to time... some more than others, but I know very few who are totally immune.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:01 PM

For me and it being public land meaning therefore no one has ownership and no one can "claim" a spot.

How do you decide who gets to hunt where? Who has priority? For me, it’s the first person to that location and it resets every morning and afternoon.

This means you can not claim any area for more than one morning or afternoon hunt at a time, unless you hunt for the entire day.

Leaving your stand out over night or out for the afternoon is like claiming the area for more than one period.

A guy comes along, oh, no one here, and wow what a great spot, they look in the tree and there’s a stand. Well now what do you do? I want to hunt this location, but some left their stand here... are they coming back today? Tomorrow? When? Idk... I'd love to put my stand where their stand is. Do I take there's down, stick mine up or do I just jump up in their stand and leave mine on the ground?

For me, it’s etiquette to take your stands down when you leave so others can come in and put theirs up. If you leave yours up you should expect people to use it. When you show up, you have a right to get your stand, but you have no right to kick them out of the tree.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
I see this thread is quite divided.

I welcome people to use my stands. Heck if you find them, you'll be on some good trails and I've likely picked the best tree ... so go ahead use them - just leave them the way you found them. What's the big deal? If I can help a fellow hunter out when I'm not using the stand, why not? If I come along though, I'd expect you to move along somewhere else (or would could at least chat about it)

Same goes if I find a natural blind and/or stand. The person who set it up likely picked the best spot. Why would I bother setting up a stand when I can use one that is already set up.

If you leave your stand /blind in the bush, it is fair game to use and leave it as it was. Destroying and stealing stands/blinds is different - that's just plain mean, cheap and cowardly.

I see no etiquite problems what so ever by using a setup another hunter left behind, assuming he's not in the area.

X2. I may have a dozen or more stands to choose from during any given hunting season, and the only time I would have a problem with someone else sitting in one of them is if they were in the one I was planning to sit in that day. If that were to happen I would expect them to vacate in a hurry as BRL said. If not then we would have to "discuss" it further.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:03 PM

The answer to this whole dilemma is quite simple. Everyone should be like me. Develop a massive fear of heights and whammo... Never had the urge to put one up or use someone elses...
Old 02-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
This post is an eye opener.

I always wondered who would use someone elses stand, steal tree stands and pegs....

Well we have our answer.

BTW- Big difference between finding a small item that someone obviously misplaced such as a knife, five dollar bill, etc, and a treestand that someone took the time to put up in a tree- obviously not misplaced or lost. If I leave my knife on a log and you find it weeks later I lost it and you found it- my loss is your gain. If you climb up a tree and take a stand down you are a thief!! I though tht this was blatantly obvious, but I guess not?

some of these responses are really quite unbelievable.....
Isnt that the truth there Longdraw Great post .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
LMAO I KNEW ID END UP SEEING THIS AGIAN .
Old 02-19-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Isnt that the truth there Longdraw Great post .

LMAO I KNEW ID END UP SEEING THIS AGIAN .
HAHA. I had to keep it alive. It cracks me up every time i see it. Even if i posted it.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:25 PM

Ok, so hunter Skinny Bill, who weighs 150 lbs., soaking wet, puts up his tree stand. Safe and works well for him. Hunter Fat Al, weighs 300 lbs., comes along, uses the tree stand, without permission, falls down and is seriously injured. Is Skinny Bill liable for Fat Al's injuries?
Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 02-19-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I hate it when I see permanent stands on public land. Grinds my gears really bad cause I find it really disrespectful and plain old ugly.....let alone illegal.

Either way.....I dont use someone else's stand and I dont use someone else's property when I find it in the bush. It aint mine.....
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 PM

I look at the issue of treestands the same way that I do camping in a remote area. If you are on crown land you take out what you brought in and that means NO permanent structures of any kind.

If you want to put up a portable stand and then take it down when you are down hunting that is obviously the right thing to do. The citizens of Alberta who own the land do not want your treestands staying in THEIR trees.

In any event, if I come upon a treestand in the woods and it is not being used, I will use it if it suits my needs. It no longer belongs to anyone if it is constructed on crown land. This is what I have done in the past and I will continue. The stand is not supposed to be left there anyway - so I am effecting noone. If the owner comes up and has some sort of issue with that (which has never happened since most of the jerks who construct the treestands just abandon them) I would be more than happy to oblige him in further discussion of the issue.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I hate it when I see permanent stands on public land. Grinds my gears really bad cause I find it really disrespectful and plain old ugly.....let alone illegal.

Either way.....I dont use someone else's stand and I dont use someone else's property when I find it in the bush. It aint mine.....

this is ridiculous. who cares if you find it disrespectful.its called public land not rackmastr land. no harms done , anyone can use them. and id be surprised if you could even see them till your pretty well under them. for the most part any stand ive ever made is just a base between three trees. usually about 10' of the ground. whats with this alarmist crap? do you go out in the bush and report to the cops on kids tree forts and hunters stands? im sure they enjoy your important phone calls on riveting issues.

as for leaving your expensive self climbers and what not in the bush, its a risk your taking and you know it. plain and simple. when you leave it there you know your worried about someone taking it. so why leave it.? i know you should be able to leave things like that and not have them stolen. but thats not how it works and it sucks.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 PM

treestands icehuts whats the difference if it's not yours leave it alone
they are both private property weather or not they are on crown land it doesn't matter
an unlocked car in parking lot or cut line an unattened quad in the bush is private property on public land and should be left alone unless you own it or have permission to use it stay out of it
it's called respect some one else's personal property and leave it alone
this is my opinion
Old 02-19-2009, 06:25 PM

didnt some asian guy kill a few hunters in the bush when they caught him in their tree stand a few years ago. they came out with new rules for tree stands after that. i cant remember if it was here or in sask? does anyone know what was ever made of that?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
this is ridiculous. who cares if you find it disrespectful.its called public land not rackmastr land. no harms done , anyone can use them. and id be surprised if you could even see them till your pretty well under them. for the most part any stand ive ever made is just a base between three trees. usually about 10' of the ground. whats with this alarmist crap? do you go out in the bush and report to the cops on kids tree forts and hunters stands? im sure they enjoy your important phone calls on riveting issues.
Yep...you said it right. Its PUBLIC land....not YOURS. So what gives anyone the right to build something permanent there?? My opinion is that people dont need to be building permanent stands and leaving them in OUR public land.

What the hell do you mean alarmist crap? Did I say anything about reporting it?? Making things up to help prove your point?? Oh ya...riveting all right...
Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
didnt some asian guy kill a few hunters in the bush when they caught him in their tree stand a few years ago. they came out with new rules for tree stands after that. i cant remember if it was here or in sask? does anyone know what was ever made of that?
Happened in Wisconsin

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,139338,00.html
Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
It was in Wisconsin, and he was not only in their stands, he was on property which he did not have permission to be on.
he also did not kill them in self defense...
Cat
Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Yep...you said it right. Its PUBLIC land....not YOURS. So what gives anyone the right to build something permanent there?? My opinion is that people dont need to be building permanent stands and leaving them in OUR public land.

What the hell do you mean alarmist crap? Did I say anything about reporting it?? Making things up to help prove your point?? Oh ya...riveting all right...
If you take it down at the end of hunting season or after you fill your tags I don't see the harm. But I guess keep in mind others may use it and others may take it haha
Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
Take your junk home with you , if l find a jackknive in the bush or a good hunting knive , its mine , if l find an arrow in the bush its mine , if l find money in the bush , its mine , if l find a gun in the bush , its mine , if l find a squaw in the bush , shes mine , if l find bow in the bush , its mine , if l find a treestand in the bush , its mine , if l find a trailcam in the bush , its mine , if you dont want your junk to disappear , take it home .
so its your trailcam if i spend countless hours finding that perfect spot for it,make scrapes in front of it, and lock it just because it is on crown land. MAYBE IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO DO SOMETHING MORE CONSTRUCTIVE WITH YOUR LEISURE TIME LIKE SHUFFLE BOARD. NO OFFENCE TO THE SHUFFLE BOARD PLAYERS.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned

Default wow

I thought this would be a little more clear cut. Guess I was wrong.

If I find someone else's anything in the bush I leave it alone. It's not mine. I would never help myself to something that obviously belongs to someone else. There's lots of bush and lots of deer. If I saw a stand I might pay extra attention and hunt my way out of the area, but I sure wouldn't touch it.

This one's for you Bud. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrkGotVOeeQ

Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Ok, so hunter Skinny Bill, who weighs 150 lbs., soaking wet, puts up his tree stand. Safe and works well for him. Hunter Fat Al, weighs 300 lbs., comes along, uses the tree stand, without permission, falls down and is seriously injured. Is Skinny Bill liable for Fat Al's injuries?
Grizz
I think it goes without saying that using someone else tree stand is "use at your own risk"
Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergrey View Post
If you take it down at the end of hunting season or after you fill your tags I don't see the harm. But I guess keep in mind others may use it and others may take it haha
Completely agree with you there.....something that is put up for a season and taken down at the end is no different than someone putting up a wall tent or something like that for a season too.

Its the stuff that is built and sits for years and years....was just making the point that some people are really bad stewards of the land and decide they can leave whatever they'd like out there.

If done cleanly and professionally its no issue at all, especially if taken down at the end of the season and not build 'permanently'
Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
I think it goes without saying that using someone else tree stand is "use at your own risk"
I wouldn't put it past our courts. I could see it. Then again nothing suprises me anymore.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
To paraphrase an earlier post by you Bud, if I catch you in the woods with something of mine, YOUR AZZ IS MINE! LOL

As for being charged.... You're in posession of my property, with your prints on it. I say I just got down to have a whiz, and while I'm gone you steal it. I'm going to get charged with something? Laughable. Oh, and you got the shiner and broken ribs when you fell as we tussled as I tried to get my property back.

Funny, if I found something in the woods of value and I could figure out who's it was, my first impulse would be to give them a call and say "I think you might have lost something".
Send them hockey tickits back.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 PM

Default No Qualms about it.

If I catch you in my stand the only way your coming down is with an axe. Once you've crashed to earth along with the tree, look out!

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
Take your junk home with you , if l find a jackknive in the bush or a good hunting knive , its mine , if l find an arrow in the bush its mine , if l find money in the bush , its mine , if l find a gun in the bush , its mine , if l find a squaw in the bush , shes mine , if l find bow in the bush , its mine , if l find a treestand in the bush , its mine , if l find a trailcam in the bush , its mine , if you dont want your junk to disappear , take it home .

Wow trail cams to eh... Ummm aren't those sposed to be left in the bush? And good luck trying to take my ol' lady home
Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverflats View Post
And good luck trying to take my ol' lady home
I hope you didn't leave her strapped to a tree like a trail cam??

lol...just joking buddy..
Old 02-20-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
If I catch you in my stand the only way your coming down is with an axe. Once you've crashed to earth along with the tree, look out!
wow....??? such venom and violence for what?? a hunk of metal in a tree?? sheesh....wow...if it means that much to you take it off all of our trees when you are finished with it at the end of the day then pack it back in the next time you come out.

let me be straight..i am not in favor of using others stands..and i wouldn't do it. but to use such violence as an action of someone using it blows my mind..sheesh...
Old 02-20-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I hope you didn't leave her strapped to a tree like a trail cam??

lol...just joking buddy..

Well if my trail cam is gonna get stolen along with all my other goodies, that way she can be a witness.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
So I guess when ' Bud "dy is out looking for stuff to FIND in the bush the tires are fair game on your truck to find by someone else. Perhaps there is a reason why one has to post and advertise for hunting and fishing partners !!!
That last sentence is very childish and way off topic , if your referring to me asking if anyone whats to go to Mcgreger , well l just happened to meet up with a very nice young fellow who went with me and we had a very good day, also met up with my Nephew and his Dad , and l didnt HAVE to post it either , lots of guys here do the same , hope the mods slap your face on that comment.
Sure glad it was,nt you l took with me, or we would have been in a ditch fight and you would have been walking home with 2 black eyes , haaaaaaaa.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 AM

Longdraw you're right, some of these guys are unbelievable. If they found someone elses stand in the bush they would use it? They're all from the "if it ain't bolted down, they'll take it" crowd. It's just that their degree of theft varies a bit. In other words, my stand, my work & my scouting stay the heck away. PLEASE NONE OF THE BS ABOUT DIFFERENT MORALS & ETHICS - STEALING IS STEALING.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 AM

Has anyone ever found someone in their stand? Or been found in some ones stand?