Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Default .338 lapua scope suggesions

I’ve always been interested in long range shooting, and after getting a smokin deal on an unfired savage 110BA in .338 lapua mag from another member on here, i think I’m starting to get myself set up.
Having said that, I’m looking for suggestions on what to mount for a scope. I’d like to work my way up to shooting 1000+ yards, will not be using it for hunting, my budget at the moment is about a thousand bucks, and I’m partial to the mil-dot reticle as opposed to MOA.
I know that’s not much of a budget for a long range scope, but it is what it is.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 AM

If $1000 is your budget, probably the best scope for the money is a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50
Old 03-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Might be able to get a used sightron s3 for that
Old 03-07-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
snip
my budget at the moment is about a thousand bucks,
snip
I know that’s not much of a budget for a long range scope, but it is what it is.
IMHO,
any good quality scope with an easily adjustable elevation turret will get you started,
but suggest that your budget is unrealistic, and will not allow you to achieve the potential of your firearm,
and raises the question of whether you can really afford the ammo cost to learn to shoot it effectively.

If you have such a scope on another rifle (that is hopefully cheaper to shoot), I suggest you properly remount it with a 20moa P-rail (and tip-off rings you may now have) to match your BA, and easily share the scope you have with both firearms. Total cost < $100. (saving ~1/2 the cost of a used NXS.

AFAIK, your BA probably has a 20moa P-rail (Savage # 108947 made by EGW # 41102-8) with 8-40 screws.
http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-...-ambidextrous/

You can then learn to shoot and load for LR while you save for the better scope you will require as your skills improve. You can then also use the better scope on both firearms.

None of my rifles wear permanently mounted scopes, but all have properly mounted & bedded P-rails.

Real bargains can be found, but most sellers know what quality optics cost, and you may be buying someone else’s problem. (Many people sell their unopened BNIB warranty scopes after multiple warranty issues.)

Always be alert for opportunity and thankful for luck, but don’t depend on either being available when you need them.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 03-07-2019, 07:47 PM

For my 338 lapua build I went with a nightforce ATACR 7-35. First focal plane. I really like it. The turrets ate very crisp with adjustments and the glass is unreal.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
For my 338 lapua build I went with a nightforce ATACR 7-35. First focal plane. I really like it. The turrets ate very crisp with adjustments and the glass is unreal.
I don’t think I’d get another ffp scope. At low mag the cross hairs are too small and at higher mag they are too big. I’ve had a couple nightforce scopes and I think they are overrated imho

If your budget is $1000 your probably going to be upgrading sooner than later
Buy once cry once
Old 03-07-2019, 08:53 PM

In my opinion the MOA reticle is way easier to learn and make shot adjustments with especially if your turrets are in MOA. It will also be easier to use with your ballistic program. The Nighforce SHV is a good choice or the Vortex Strike Eagle. And a cheap choice is the Cabelas Covenant. I have used these for shooting out to a mile plus with my 338 Edge.
If you want more info send me a PM
Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the info so far guys...
i should clarify again that I’m FULLY aware that with optics, you definitely get what you pay for - and i KNOW that a thousand bucks is definitely on the low end for the budget for a long range scope. I don’t need to be reminded about that.
I figure if i use it for the summer or a year or whatever, and feel like upgrading later, i can put the thousand dollar scope on my 7mm mag.
I’m NOT going to be mounting a scope and shooting a thousand yards right off the bat - I’m not a great shot, and have a lot to learn before i get to that point. Truth be told, the rifle might even sit in the safe for a while before i get out shooting it. I want to really learn about proper load development and shooting form etc before i really want to throw a couple thousand dollars more at this rifle.
I do 99% of my hunting with archery gear, and have let my rifle skills slip. I’ve always had interest in long range shooting, and this rifle came up for sale. I’ll toy with it and try it out. If it interests me further, I’ll spend the big dollars on a top shelf scope.
Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
Thanks for all the info so far guys...
i should clarify again that I’m FULLY aware that with optics, you definitely get what you pay for - and i KNOW that a thousand bucks is definitely on the low end for the budget for a long range scope. I don’t need to be reminded about that.
I figure if i use it for the summer or a year or whatever, and feel like upgrading later, i can put the thousand dollar scope on my 7mm mag.
I’m NOT going to be mounting a scope and shooting a thousand yards right off the bat - I’m not a great shot, and have a lot to learn before i get to that point. Truth be told, the rifle might even sit in the safe for a while before i get out shooting it. I want to really learn about proper load development and shooting form etc before i really want to throw a couple thousand dollars more at this rifle.
I do 99% of my hunting with archery gear, and have let my rifle skills slip. I’ve always had interest in long range shooting, and this rifle came up for sale. I’ll toy with it and try it out. If it interests me further, I’ll spend the big dollars on a top shelf scope.
Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback.
Have you thought about taking an RFMA course? I would seriously look into it if you’re wanting to improve your shooting abilities.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:32 PM

Maybe one of the swfa super sniper scopes?

They are highly rated.

Could look into a bushell one of their lrhs or tactical dmr type series

Might find something used as well
Old 03-09-2019, 05:05 AM

Whatever you choose make sure your reticle matches the elevation/windage turrets....moa/moa or mil/mil. Secondly, for a 338 Lapua I would suggest a scope with at least 100 moa (or the mil equivalent) of elevation adjustment. Eventually you'll want to stretch way past 1000 yards and you'll need the adjustment. Lastly, you'll want a scope with side parallax adjustment. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:21 PM

If you go MIL or MOA it doesn't really matter so long as you keep it all the same. So MIL reticle with MIL dials and work ranges in meters. Same goes for MOA just run your ranges in yards. Makes it a lot easier when everything is speaking the same language.

At your price point dont waste your money chasing a higher max power. In a lower quality scope it is pretty useless anyways. You better off staying in the 15-16ish max power range and have glass that is actually usable, Vortex PSt, Nightforce SHV and the new Nikon Black all come to mind and even some of the Athelon stuff is pretty good. You don't need 45x to shoot 1000. Mirage usually become a problem as you start cranking up the power as well. Some of my farthest shots ever were using 12x to get out of the mirage. Rarely in competition do I even go past 10x

Personally I prefer FFP so I can use the hash marks at any power.