Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-13-2009, 10:15 PM

Default Star Lake Gill Nets

There was 3 gill nets out on Star Lake (just west of Edmonton) this evening. I'm hoping this is F&W doing some sort of test netting and not the alternative. Anyone know where I might find out if it was F&W?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Gone Hunting

You have a telephone, they have a phone number.

Did you call the report a poacher number (1-800-642-3800) when you discovered the nets?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned

I would hazard a guess and say that calling F&W would be the best way to find out if its their nets.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:09 PM

If it's the government, it's not F&W. I don't know how closely related the two are but the Alberta conservation association has been conducting angler surveys and monitoring Star Lake most of the summer. http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/de...-team-at-work/

If any government agency is doing netting there, it's them - though the site says "fall netting" and as of about 8:30pm last night, there was no one visibily present to collect the nets. I did try dialing several of the ACAs numbers this morning but was barraged with voice mail - we'll see if they get back to me.

I highly dought it was poachers as it would be pretty brazen to throw three brightly marked gill nets on a relatively small lake that's always being fished right in the middle of the day.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:07 PM

Thumbs up Testing

On the bathrooms outside wall is a poster of the people doing the count and sampling. I cannot remember which agency is doing the study.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
On the bathrooms outside wall is a poster of the people doing the count and sampling. I cannot remember which agency is doing the study.
I saw the poster too - it's ACA. But I didn't see any information about netting. The website says 'fall' netting and last I checked, August isn't fall. Still waiting for a call back from ACA.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 PM

I got a call back from a biologist there. It WAS them netting there last night. The 'fall' on their website was exclusively for walleye netting.

Had an interesting conversation about the lake with him. The only partial surprise was that they found that a fair amount of the stocked rainbows aren't surviving while those that do survive actually do very well. He wasn't exactly sure on why some were dieing but that's a big part of the information they're trying to gather so that they can stock more effectively.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Default Post Data

Thx for the help. Do you know if ACA will post there findings ?
Happy Fishin
Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
Thx for the help. Do you know if ACA will post there findings ?
Happy Fishin
I'm sure it'll eventually make it into the project reports on their site. No idea on turnaround time though.