Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM

Default fishing around fox creek

Hi im going to be fly fishing a little later. i live in fox creek, but ive fished most if not all little creeks and rivers, i got skunked yesterday at athabasca river where pine creek runs in on the 947, so any tips in jasper hinton edson or fox creek area for fly fishing trout, grayling, mountain whitefish would be awsome thanks.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 PM

don't 100% understand your question.

have you fished a lot around Fox Creek area? then you must of fished the Little Smokey river. it is probably in the top 2 if not top grayling stream in alberta. a little farther over is the Freeman river that produces excellent number of grayling also and is not too far away if you cut across country on the oil roads. Nice thing about the Freeman is there are more access points then on the Little Smokey if you head back into the hills and get away from the crowds.

you can alos take 942 and head north of Edson to the Emerson Creek Rd. lots of nice little feeder streams of the Athabasca that hold Grayling, Whites, Atha bows, etc. there is one creek in that area that has some huge grayling in it and atha bows, but i am not going to mention it on an open board, its not c&r and don't want to see it fished out.

rgds
Mike
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Berland River....?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 AM

Default Thanks

ended up driving to hinton fished obed for a while and then went to millers lake but got skunked, i was shore fishing, but i have fished little smokey alot mostly 2nd bridge on the bigstone, thanks for the spots although ive probably fished most if not all of them. i think i will go try for some athabows.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM

marsh head creek....berland river....little smokey....simmonett river....wild hay....pine creek...windfall creek...oldman creek....macloud river....i could go on forever but ill refer u to the alberta fishing guide thats done by berry mitchell...u have alot of rivers and creeks and small bush lakes in the area..i live in whitecourt and fly fish them all the time...try a dry royal coachman...grayling seem to love them...also love the irisistabul adams...head to 947 take it to the anc follow anc to km 104.5 go right on the right hand side of the road u will see a pool that has a culvert under the road ( mabey 2kms off the anc) lots of grayling in it...also can hike the creek (marsh head) lots of fish...

good luck...
rob
Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 PM

I was living in Fox Creek for a while, moved back to NS last October. I was working at the mill until it burned. Hoping to move back in the next couple years.

Try an adams, had lots of luck on the Little Smokey with it. Try some big streamers as well, there's some nice bull trout up by grizzly junction. Have you fished Swan. Some realy nice bows. I liked shore fishing with the fly on Jerry, pike put up a nice fight on the fly rod. Pick up a map and check most of the creeks between Fox Creek and Whitecourt. A co-worker told me there was some good fishing in eather Chickadee or Two Creeks, can't remember which one. There's suppose to be a stillwater not far from the highway between the highway and the Athabasca River. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 AM

Go down 947 , pass the plant when you come to a t or y intersection take the right. follow that and it should cross the river again.just up stream is where the berland comes into the Athabasca,
.Good for whites

JR
Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 AM

Hey GG,

I live in Fox Creek as well and it's almost time to hit Swan and East Dollar for the boatman flights. Stay in touch and maybe we can hook up. You can also hit Emerald for brookies, Smoke Lake for pike, walleye and big whites, Jerry Lake for small to medium pike and Iosegun for good medium size walleyes.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Hey cool to see somone else from fox creek johnk, went fishing yesterday at crystal lake just off the 947 you take anc to km 5 and take a left caught a couple brookies a 3 pound and a 4 pounder fishings pretty good there, and to jr ive fished many times where the berland runs into the athab caught grayling out of there last week overall a good spot though even rainbows in there. i think i will go fishing a little later just dont no where yet.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=mikeym;362375]don't 100% understand your question.

have you fished a lot around Fox Creek area? then you must of fished the Little Smokey river. it is probably in the top 2 if not top grayling stream in alberta. a little farther over is the Freeman river that produces excellent number of grayling also and is not too far away if you cut across country on the oil roads. Nice thing about the Freeman is there are more access points then on the Little Smokey if you head back into the hills and get away from the crowds.

you can alos take 942 and head north of Edson to the Emerson Creek Rd. lots of nice little feeder streams of the Athabasca that hold Grayling, Whites, Atha bows, etc. there is one creek in that area that has some huge grayling in it and atha bows, but i am not going to mention it on an open board, its not c&r and don't want to see it fished out.

rgds

grayling all but disappear in the athab mainstream and its tribs upstream of the emerson road bridge. the only place i have seen more than one is lower plante cr. barry mitchells AFG is not as accurate here as it is down south on his home waters. rainbows are pretty scarce in the unmentionable creek until it gets close to the athab and the grayling cant match those in the wildhay off the beaten path.

gunter grayling before your next shore fishing trip to obed you might want to check it out on google earth.