Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 09:54 PM

Default awesome pike rod

hey all dumb question here...im buying myself a pike rod at the fishin hole sale ...im completely new to this ... what would you guys suggest ...I wanna be able to use big flys and handle big fish when nescessary ..so what 8 wt ?? what type of reel and whats a good all round line ... thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
hey all dumb question here...im buying myself a pike rod at the fishin hole sale ...im completely new to this ... what would you guys suggest ...I wanna be able to use big flys and handle big fish when nescessary ..so what 8 wt ?? what type of reel and whats a good all round line ... thanks in advance
8wt is good for everything you are talking about, I have used mine for lake trout, largemouth bass and pike and it's served me very well. I have a Lamson reel on mine. Most reels these days have a good drag which is important especially if you might want to use it for fish salmon or lakers, you will need it with those fish. For brands, as a lot of people suggest Reddington, Echo, TFO are all great setups.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 PM

Last year i got a 10wt for pike, and im starting to wish that i didn't. For everything but the largest fish it is overkill. Sure you can cast anything with it, but when you catch a fish it is more your dragging it in than fighting it in. I also use it lake trout fishing with a full sinking line, but again a bit overkill. If i could buy again i would probably want a 8wt. A rod that size can handle fairly large flys and practically any sized fish. It would have been much enjoyable than my 10wt.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:54 AM

8wt, maybe a 9wt if you regularly catch them above 36" or you plan on heading to northern Laker and Pike lodges.

I'd vote Lamson for a reel, bulletproof, sexy, and not bad prices. There are other good options available though.

Note: you can find Lamson reels on ebay for a decent price if you search "factory second". they'll often be quite a bit cheaper brand new because the logo didn't stick properly, or there's a small mill mark somewhere.

http://waterworks-lamson.com/

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 AM

I bought a Reddington Predator 8 wt last year for a pike'n'stremer rod and paired it with an old Orvis Mach 5. I couldn't be happier with it honestly, and the price is quite reasonable.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 AM

I use a 9' 9 weight rod from Temple Fork Outfitters and have been extremely happy with it. I use it when I head to the NWT for pike. This year it had no problems landing a 21lb er.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 AM

I use a TFO BVK in 8 wt and it is awesome. The line I got on it is Rio Outbound short and its great at rolling over big flies.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
im buying myself a pike rod at the fishin hole sale
When is the fishin hole sale?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:57 AM

An 8wt will do the job in an awful lot of scenarios that you could fish in.
May want to spend a little extra on the reel for bigger fish, one that is rated for salt water use so to speak. You'll get a good smooth starting drag that way, which is really nice to work with.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:28 PM

Rods, reels, are not as important for pike as your line choice.

You will need a line designed to turn over very large, wind resistant flies.

Most line manufacturers make lines specifically for this job. SA and Rio make specific "Pike" lines, while other good options include the above mentioned Outbound Short and Coldwater Clouser, etc.

A general floating / sinking line will leave you unsatisfied.

ETA, as much as I appreciate a high end rod, a dedicated pike rod is where I would be more likely to go with a mid-range rod; Redington Predator, TFO, etc.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
When is the fishin hole sale?
august 21 I believe
Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 AM

I have a 9wt redington Vapen with Rio pike line and I have yet to cast a fly that I can't turn over, including those big flashy 10" flies.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:21 PM

Sharkskin magnum is a great pike line. Paired with my echo solo never met a fly I can't cast.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Banned

I'm selling a g loomis 8wt
With a redington 7/8 reel
And a pike fly line!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:32 PM

Sage Method, It's a cannon!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 PM

Default Loop

http://www.bowrivertroutfitters.com/...t01returnid=22

Try casting one of these rods.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 PM

Default Rod

Another vote for the TFO- BVK. I also use one of their reels, and am very happy with this set up
Old 07-30-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Another vote for the TFO- BVK. I also use one of their reels, and am very happy with this set up
And another vote for this set up. You won't be disappointed
Old 07-31-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Not a dumb question.

I regularly use two different 8wt rods---a St. Croix Imperial and a Sage Motive.

The Imperial is a classy, smooth casting rod. It is fast action, but a nice fluid cast. I would recommend it to anyone, but it's not my favourite.

The Motive is classed a salt-water rod. The rod is stiff, like a 9wt, but it is still quite light, kind of like a heavy 7wt. It is not for the novice caster. Once the rod is loaded properly, it is a beast.

It is not as nice as the Sage Method, but I feel it out-performs the BVK. The price tag sits appropriately between the two.

Personally, I feel the role of the 8wt is to deliver a long, powerful cast through the elements. I know that long casts do not catch more Bow River trout. On the still water, short cast still catch fish, but long casts can catch more fish; to get to that rising fish, or pull a streamer/popper along the edge of a weedbed. On the salt, a long accurate cast will catch you more fish, but dealing with the wind requires a robust rod and caster.

In general, I love the Lamson reels.

Last edited by scel; 07-31-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 AM

redington predator, that's my suggestion.have a 10w works like a dream, not a bad price..