Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2014, 11:35 AM

So far you have checked scope and action screws for tight, cleaned out all copper. Gun still shoots bad.

Have you used a magnifying glass and checked the crown?

Have you used a bore sighter to check if the cross hairs are moving after each shot.

As you say, next step is mount a different scope. Seems very likely the scope is not holding properly. Return scope for repair if it is worth the money or replace, if it turns out to be the scope.

If the crown is good, and the scope isn't the issue sand out the pressure point, you can always put one back, and bed the action.

If none of that works then it is likely the barrel though that is hard to believe with only 1000 rounds down the tube.

At least going after it one thing at a time you will know for sure what the problem was.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossmann View Post
now here is the question
it was 27c out and i want to know how the heat will effect the grouping? is 2-3 min of cooling time between shots sufficient cooling time or am i worried about nothing? the barrel was a little hot

i guess its time to mount a new scope on the gun its a sad day. its been a good run for the scope i guess. i got it when i was a kid. maybe 20+ years ago.

i should still hit an actual range and get a perfect rest just to be sure.
That's a ton of time, you should basically be able to shoot, spot your shot, reload, get steady, and shoot again. If it's a hunting rifle, are you going to wait 2-3 min between shots?

Where are you at? I can lend you a scope if need be, and yes go to a range, or at least get a good shot setup, it doesn't sound as though you were overly confident in that you think you can get a better rest at the range.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That depends on the rifle, and on the load used. None of my centerfires would go 120 rounds without having the copper removed.
Yep. My 308 hoards copper like crazy with accuracy dropping off after 40-50 rounds.