Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-14-2009, 08:51 PM

Default So I just did my RPAL course...

...and get this: Since 01 January 2009 (I'm guessing this is part of Anastasia's Law), I have to get the normal RCMP paperwork done, *plus* a SQ (Québec's provincial police) form, which I have to deliver in person to an SPVM (Montréal police) station or an SQ post in order to actually get the RPAL.

Jigga-what? I guess they think that looking into my eyes as I hand the forms over will show them whether or not I'm the type to do something stupid...

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Banned

Default Don;t blame us...

...we didn't vote for them.

Congrats on getting your RPAL by the way.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
...we didn't vote for them.
Nor did I, though I like Charest better than the hard-line b*tch the PQ has as leader now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Congrats on getting your RPAL by the way.
Thanks. Next step is the CZ 75B in stainless that made me do it in the first place...

...though I have *no* idea how I'll get that past Mrs. Roadkill.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post

Jigga-what? I guess they think that looking into my eyes as I hand the forms over will show them whether or not I'm the type to do something stupid...
I doubt it. I imagine they need to verify that you are who you say you are. Lots of licences require that you actually show up at some office.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Wow, it is much easier here. Fill out the forms, and a phone interview for you and your references and you are all set.

Congrats on the RPAL, everybody should have one.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Pants View Post
Wow, it is much easier here. Fill out the forms, and a phone interview for you and your references and you are all set.
Yeah, it used to be the same here, but after the last college mayhem the provincial government enacted Anastasia's Law, which laid down a bunch of new rules and such. This is just part of the package now.

I guess I don't *really* have a problem with it. As Okotokian says, it's not an unknown practise or anything. Hell, I'll know for certain that my application won't get lost in the mail, at least.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I doubt it. I imagine they need to verify that you are who you say you are. Lots of licences require that you actually show up at some office.
Now that is just siding with the "Questapo". No other province requires this.

Hey roadkill........look up the Norinco CQ 5.56
Old 06-17-2009, 11:03 AM

Default Congratz on getting your 'Restricted'

I take it the RPAL stands for 'Restricted Possession and Acquisition License'.

Sounds somewhat similar to what I've heard about in New York state.

They require that you go to a police station in person to drop off your restricted firearms application and to have three people to vouch for you in person with there signature at the police station before they even start processing the paper work for your application.

I'm guessing the idea there is to further associate law enforcement with your application and give more accountability to the firearms community.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerykho View Post
I take it the RPAL stands for 'Restricted Possession and Acquisition License'.

Sounds somewhat similar to what I've heard about in New York state.

They require that you go to a police station in person to drop off your restricted firearms application and to have three people to vouch for you in person with there signature at the police station before they even start processing the paper work for your application.

I'm guessing the idea there is to further associate law enforcement with your application and give more accountability to the firearms community.
Yeah, it's for stuff like pistols and revolvers... and big, meaty rifles that you use to hunt zombies rather than deer.

Yeah, I have to bring the RCMP paperwork in to the station, plus the special SQ form and they fill it out while I'm standing there. Because it's only been in force since 01 January, I don't know anyone who's had to do it, so I don't know if there's an interview or whatever.

I guess I'm going to find out, though

Last edited by roadkill; 06-18-2009 at 10:25 PM.