Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2021, 11:37 PM

Default Bear Down

Went out and sat my bait for the first time this year.
Windy nights are usually a bad thing in the bear stand, worse than that are south winds as that’s directing scent from the ladder stand to the bait.

Oh well the quiet time is therapeutic so what the heck I’ll stick it out and see what happens.

Long about 7 pm I got a bear in the bait, I looked I pondered I almost took a pass, then I said nope, I’m gonna fill a tag for a change.

I brought the old 870 Remington up and put the front bead of the sight between the notch of the rear sight and sent a 1-1/8oz Challenger slug on its way.

At 43 yards I thought that bear would just simply topple, especially since I took aim at the near side shoulder. The bear flipped and flopped a bit got its legs, and sprinted west from the bait.

I hate tracking and a bear on the rim of a pretty steep creek gorge wasn’t an ideal way to spend the rest of the evening. I got out of the stand and walked over to where the bear was standing, I could see the turned up earth from the flipping around it did but didn’t immediately see signs of a hit. I stood there looking off in the bears direction of travel wondering about the time I should give it, and who to call for assistance, when the bear came into sight, I had a small window to take a shot and when the bear made the spot I sent another slug on its way. The bear disappeared, I walked about a half dozen steps and the bear appeared again this time in a different spot, and was heading for the gorge, it’s times like this where you go “oh no you don’t” and I pounded a slug into it at about 40 yds, that one I knew connected and after that.

There are no absolutes