Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Default Bear Archery Compounds

Time for a new bow and I may not be able to get the one I originally ordered.

I was looking at the Bear compounds. I tried to search for a thread with info on them but couldn't locate one.

Is anybody shooting one of these and had any experience good or bad they can pass on?

I realize that bow choice is a very individual thing but any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 AM

I will first qualify my answer with the warning that I am a gear head/equipment snob.

Bear Archery builds a decent enough bow, but most packages are entry level equipment IMO and if you really get into archery you will be shelling out for a better set up.

Look at BowTech, Matthews, or Hoyt. All three have full service shops all over Alberta. APA is another consideration.

I'm a hardcore Hoyt guy, but I picked up a BowTech the other day and have to say I'm impressed.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:42 PM

I retrospect I'm going to add that most compounds on the market are more than capable of shooting decent enough to hunt with. Buy what is convenient, but more importantly buy it from a local shop that will set it up and help you tune it. There is nothing worse than a poor fitting/set up bow. Find some buddies that shoot lots and get a referral to a good shop.

Bear has been making bows for over 1/2 a century. I'm sure they are more than adequate for letting the light out of a moose or deer. Just looked up the Anarchy and the Carnage. They are not overly short (stick with 32" axle to axle and up). Brace height is good at a little over 7" on both bows. Speed is very good. If it was me I would tend to go with the Anarchy as it has a little longer axle to axle. Less angle on the string and more forgiving as a rule. I don't like the look/aesthetics of the bows but that is a personal taste thing.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Thx very much for the advice Bluff - much appreciated!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Have owned four bear bow and love them all! Smooth fast and quiet! They have been around forever and have great service!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Shoot as many different ones as you can! Pick the one that fits u best!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:47 PM

I bought the new bear anarchy and love the bow,fast,quiet,smooth drawing and forgiving.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM

Spent an hour or so paper tuning our bows today,one of which was was a Bear and the results were pretty impressive. It is a lower weight bow and shot amazingly quite but also very accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo4.jpg (80.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 AM

I shot one for a few years and it was a good bow. I had a problem with the finish on the riser and it was replaced no questions asked in a timely fashion.

If a bear bow fits you best for your budget I would not hastate to recommend their product based on my experience.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Bear Archery makes a good product, they have been for the last 60 some odd years, and since they were bought out and revamped they have really turned everything around and have some tremendous bows.

Their flagship models (Carnage & Anarchy) will hang with the more popular manufacturers, and their economy line bows will allow the hunter to have a reliable bow and afford a dozen arrows.

If you can give them a shot or two, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised by them.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 PM

I think the Bear bows are just as good as any on the market. They don't get the hype that some of the other brands do but hold their own. I've been shooting an Attack since 2010 and am very happy with it. I had a pass through on A cow elk last season at 43 yards and the same on WT buck at 25yards. But like the others said its all about the feel and personal choice.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 PM

I'm a lefty and got to shoot a couple of them. I travelled around every archery shop I could find from Spruce Grove to Sherwood Park at the time, trying every left handed bow I could find or try. I even tryed a couple RH, as I am actually right handed, but re-learned as a lefty because I'm left eye dominant.

Mathews weren't an option - draw specific, nothing in LH, I did shoot a Monster at 70# in RH in my draw length and hated it (also probably louder than a .22LR), shot a solocam bow in RH and it was twice as nice!

I narrowed it down to my preffered bows at the time, after trying several (keep in mind only my opinion/choice based on what I was able to try as a lefty...a few years ago)
#5 Hoyt (pro series - I think it was an admiral? - not sure)
#4 Mission (not a pro series, more entry level - can't remember the model)
#3 Darton (i think it was called a 3800?)
#2 PSE (X force dream season)
#1 Bear (can't remember the model)

Problem was when I went back to get the Bear - it was sold!!! lol
Don't know much about the newer ones - but I liked the one I couldn't get!

I ended up buying the PSE and was happy with my purchase, smaller valley in near the end of the draw cycle (which I don't like to this day) - but quite efficient compared to any of the others I tryed as it get's better IBOs with the same arrow weight pulling 10lbs less...

Now 4 seasons later if I got "permission" for a new bow (again) - it would be a Bowtech - hands down, shot a few last year and just about purchased...
Old 08-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Thx a bunch guys - really appreciate all the feedback!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbander View Post
I bought the new bear anarchy and love the bow,fast,quiet,smooth drawing and forgiving.
Absolutely awesome bow. Bear's been making good stuff for a while nnow but the Anarchy blew me away. Price is up there but the bow is pretty nice..
Old 08-24-2012, 06:48 PM

Shoot a whole bunch of Bows in your price range and choose the Bow you like the best...Bear Bows will kill the animal as dead as a Hoyt,Bowtech,Mathews,Pse,Apa...Etc,It's the Hunter,Good Luck,Grizz
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 PM

i bought a bear last spring and just stareted bow hunting i like it until i started to shoot my freinds bow (hoty pse mathews ect) wich ya they payed alot more but if you are going to go out alot you pay for what yoy get . i am going to buy a hoyt and sell my bear to my bro .they seem to shoot alot better then the bear did but it is all in how much money you wanna spend good luck . if you gunna go out alot buy a good one
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 PM

Bear has a new line up for 2013 and is getting very good reviews. would love to sample some of these! http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/compound-bows