Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Default Perch fishing in Calgary

Anyone interested in fishing for Perch in Calgary tomorrow morning? PM and I will try and get you fishing...

Sun
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Thanks, it is nice to see someone offering to help others, especially when perch are available. My daughter and me are heading out for pike tomorrow. Good luck!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 PM

Thanks as well sundance would love to but have to put in some over time. Dont have to reveal but where are there perch in calgary
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 PM

They are in Lake Sundance. Lake Midnapore also has perch. They were illegally stocked and now the lakes need the perch fished hard so that they do not stunt...

I have caught perch as big at 16 inches.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:41 PM

Darn, I'm heading out to Chain Lakes on Sat. I've been hoping to find someone with access to Sundance as its been a few years since I've had smoked perch....yum! You wouldn't happen to be heading out on Sun too would you?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
They are in Lake Sundance. Lake Midnapore also has perch. They were illegally stocked and now the lakes need the perch fished hard so that they do not stunt...

I have caught perch as big at 16 inches.
I thought those lakes were private and require a lake card for access, I would be more than happy to try and eradicate those perch with hook and line if I can get on legally.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 PM

A 16" perch would be huge and would likely be the record in Alberta, so I'd like to see proof of that. I've heard they are already stunted and nothing is bigger than 4". Plus you can't throw any back, so even if you catch a little one you have to keep it....but I'd be interested in this sometime, if they truly are worth the size of something worth eating at least.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:22 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
A 16" perch would be huge and would likely be the record in Alberta, so I'd like to see proof of that. I've heard they are already stunted and nothing is bigger than 4". Plus you can't throw any back, so even if you catch a little one you have to keep it....but I'd be interested in this sometime, if they truly are worth the size of something worth eating at least.
But there is no limit so what does that matter? Kill as many of those little buggers as you can, they've ruined far too many fisheries.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 PM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Perch over 20'' long have been reported from Alberta. A skinny 16'' perch may only weigh around a pound, could be much heavier though, depends on the girth.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Perch over 20'' long have been reported from Alberta. A skinny 16'' perch may only weigh around a pound, could be much heavier though, depends on the girth.
True...still would like to see that pic though
Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
But there is no limit so what does that matter? Kill as many of those little buggers as you can, they've ruined far too many fisheries.
Maybe, but I find it really hard to do that for some reason, not sure why. Maybe they should open the lake up to a public season so anyone can go (hopefully a controlled matter) and then we could help with the population.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 AM

The lake is open for residents to take in their guests under the rules. All perch must be killed as there is no limit it is not uncommon to have people taking home lots. Some small, some big, mostly smaller these days. The guys that came out today caught fish. The last two guys to leave took probably 60 perch over 8 inches. Not a bad feed.

As for the 16 inch perch it came up today as someone has posted the pic at the Fishin Hole in the north.

I will see if I can figure out how to post pics or at least track it down on the computer for you.

By the way...the Alberta record is 16 1/4 inches I believe. I have seen perch on the camera that easily go that big but they are beaten to the hook by the smaller fish most times. The biggest perch at our derby was 10.5 inches.

Cheers

Sun
Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 AM

Sunfishdancer, are you still there? if you get this post give me a call, myself and two buddies are heading out today and looking for somewhere closer to town to set up.

Matt
869-8946
Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 AM

Hey Nicemustang here's a pic of some Sundance perch. I saw the 16"er, so it's not BS.

The 16"er was caught a few years back, but I imagine there is still some around. I caught some 14"ers last summer on my fly rod. You are right that the size is decreasing with many around 6", but there is good numbers of 8" and some 10"ers
Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 AM

tracked it down...

ignore the happy face...it was my biggest perch ever...

Cheers

Sun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perchkevin 2_1.jpg (28.3 KB, 264 views)
Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
tracked it down...

ignore the happy face...it was my biggest perch ever...

Cheers

Sun
Saw that pic hanging up at the Fishin' Hole a few days ago; it's a gooder!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Anyone interested in fishing for Perch in Calgary tomorrow morning? PM and I will try and get you fishing...

Sun
hey i would really like to join you on sundance
Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 PM

I am very impressed, that is awesome. Would be great to try that out sometime.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Anyone wishing to get out...PM me. I often go out last minute though. I took 5 out yesterday and a number out the previous weekend. I am most likely going out next Sunday.

I am curious if anyone has an idea how to selectively target the big ones. I am thinking a medium jig tipped with a live leech and monitored on camera may help to get a really big one to bite and exclude smaller ones. We still need to slaughter the small ones in a big way. Our lake is going to net them this spring and summer to knock their numbers down as much as possible. I may need volunteers depending upon how many are interested in the community. Anyone participating can share in the perch.

Cheers

Sun
Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Plain hook, and a minnow. Let it float. little ones shouldn't hit it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 PM

have you seen the hali jig?
its a spoon with a chain about 4-6 inches from the flasher and use a maggot the smaller ones like the flash but the big ones like the bait
Old 01-11-2009, 01:54 PM

We will have to have a friendly competition to see who can catch the biggest
Old 01-11-2009, 02:05 PM

For perch I just use a small jig or hook tipped with a minnow or perch eyes. Jerk it away from the smaller perch. I know most people think it's a pain, but I have fun doing that
Old 01-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Wow that perch is a HOG!!! Nice work!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM

Ha ha! I love it! My mom and in-laws live in Midnapore and have lake cards as well as my brother in-law is in Sundance with a lake card. I think I can even see a friend of mines house on the lake in one of the pictures. I had no idea the fishing was potentially that good, here I've been driving all over the province and a great Perch lake is 5 mins from my house. No more driving to Pine and dealing with the snowmobilers for me I'll probably head out for sunday as well Sundancefisher, ill Pm you! thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 PM

Default Perch Fishing

Hey whats the best lake to fish Perch around Calgary i no Sundance Lake but Ice Fishing is closed this Year dont no why but any other lakes with perch in it ???
Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChassie86 View Post
Hey whats the best lake to fish Perch around Calgary i no Sundance Lake but Ice Fishing is closed this Year dont no why but any other lakes with perch in it ???

closely guarded secret , don't think you'll get much info out of people !