Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2022, 02:28 PM

Default Lake Deifenbaker low water level

Picked up on this. Wow, need moisture asap.
https://www.beachradiopa.ca/2022/06/...e-diefenbaker/
Old 06-08-2022, 03:15 PM

That's terrible to see, doggone it. Does it have anything to do with the damming system at all?
Old 06-08-2022, 03:22 PM

The problem is that this is a "river". Alberta has an obligation to allow so many cubic meters a minute flow rate to Saskatchewan and Saskatchewan has the same obligation to Manitoba.

End result is a severe draw down where the early mountain melts last July saw less than full recharge for the reservoirs on the river. Until the ice set, there was evaporation and then an early spring with little run off around the lake as the ground was so dried out last fall.

Drewski
Old 06-08-2022, 03:29 PM

Okay, so this level in being controlled into Sask. Looks a lot like Lake Mead in Nevada, albeit for different reasons.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:52 PM

It was intentionally drawn down below normal levels due to work that needed to be done at the Gardiner Dam. It’s not a massive drought, it’s not “climate change”, just business as usual.

I totally get that it’s pretty shocking to see, but people are making a far bigger deal out of it than it is. Once the mountain run off (near record snow pack) and a few spring rains hit it, it’ll fill back up in a big hurry.

I sure wish I had the time and equipment to fly the entire thing with a drone. A geo-referenced photo mosaic of that exposed lakebed would be worth it’s weight in gold when the water is back up to normal levels…
Old 06-08-2022, 06:02 PM

Good time to dig some walleye holes. GPS location that only you will know.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:10 AM

Check again in July, you will be surprised in a good way!
Was out in the mountains yesterday and even the lower elevation mtns are still white. Tons of water coming.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:49 AM

Travers Res in south AB is still at its winter level, they havent been able to fill it due to runoff being late this year. I imagine in a month these reservoirs will be full.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:24 PM
Banned

There is a SWT walleye tournament this weekend at Elbow.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Travers Res in south AB is still at its winter level, they havent been able to fill it due to runoff being late this year. I imagine in a month these reservoirs will be full.
Your sig. line should read "squat"
Old 06-09-2022, 12:45 PM

Run-off is a month late. The water is coming...
Old 06-09-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
It was intentionally drawn down below normal levels due to work that needed to be done at the Gardiner Dam. It’s not a massive drought, it’s not “climate change”, just business as usual.

I totally get that it’s pretty shocking to see, but people are making a far bigger deal out of it than it is. Once the mountain run off (near record snow pack) and a few spring rains hit it, it’ll fill back up in a big hurry.

I sure wish I had the time and equipment to fly the entire thing with a drone. A geo-referenced photo mosaic of that exposed lakebed would be worth it’s weight in gold when the water is back up to normal levels…
Why bring FACTS into a great news article describing our imminent catastrophic extinction? Hysteria sells brother !!!
Old 06-09-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Take a trip one weekend and run it in the boat. Better than a drone as you can see the topography better from the side, and infinitely faster. That’s how we figured out Williston Lake originally when it was so low one year at ice out that the boat ramps were all out of the water.

I spent many hours on a cartography table with 3D glasses scanning aerial photos during my undergrad years. It is very useful. But I’d rather look at it in person from the side, especially without the benefit of trees to help gauge depth of view.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Take a trip one weekend and run it in the boat. Better than a drone as you can see the topography better from the side, and infinitely faster. That’s how we figured out Williston Lake originally when it was so low one year at ice out that the boat ramps were all out of the water.

I spent many hours on a cartography table with 3D glasses scanning aerial photos during my undergrad years. It is very useful. But I’d rather look at it in person from the side, especially without the benefit of trees to help gauge depth of view.
Better book more then one weekend! It's kinda big
Old 06-13-2022, 01:38 AM

River must have some pretty low flows right now. Our family spent much time enjoying that sand river valley. Many fond memories.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:00 AM

It’s good to hear there is a lot of room in the lake, the water will be on its way shortly to fill it up, over the next week or 2 any and all lakes that are filled up by river or irrigation system will be full.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:40 AM

Anybody seen or heard how the water level is doing? I was to the Riverhurst Ferry about 3 weeks ago and couldn’t believe how low the water was.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtracker View Post
Better book more then one weekend! It's kinda big
True. But Orrin is a tourney fisherman. He's going to be most interested in areas around the tournament launches. You can't make runs too far down the lake during tournaments, or you start getting paranoid someone has already landed a kicker before you even get a hook in the water in primetime.

It wouldn't take long to have a look at the practical spots...certainly much faster than a drone.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:25 AM

This weekend is the Riverhurst Walkeye Classic tournament, which is a big event that attracts anglers from all over the continent. It will be interesting to see how the rising water and turbidity that goes along with that will affect the fishing and the tournament in general.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:47 AM
Banned

Spent Sunday on Dief; launched at Danielson Provincial Park. $10.00 fee. Water was high and clean. Walleye hanging out at 30'. Highway 45 under major construction so expect delays.

Free
Old 07-26-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Spent Sunday on Dief; launched at Danielson Provincial Park. $10.00 fee. Water was high and clean. Walleye hanging out at 30'. Highway 45 under major construction so expect delays.

Free
good to hear heading there in august hope the catching is then .
Old 07-26-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Yup

Plus the panic of floods cause them to hesitate to fill in the spring.

Like a video I saw showing the Great Salt Lake level is super low…

Scientists showed rainfall is normal. Human use is way up.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-26-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
Okay, so this level in being controlled into Sask. Looks a lot like Lake Mead in Nevada, albeit for different reasons.
Ha when are they going to start showing the 55 gallon drums of bodies and sunken boats.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Ha when are they going to start showing the 55 gallon drums of bodies and sunken boats.
drum deposits are outrageous we have an abundance of hungry coyotes for waste disposal

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-30-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
drum deposits are outrageous we have an abundance of hungry coyotes for waste disposal
Ha that would be something!!