Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Is SRD Stupid???

Remember the netting they did at Spruce Coulee last week, in which they pulled hundreds and hundreds of Brookies from the water, along with several large walleye. Only reason was to see if there was walleye in the water. If you know Spruce, you know it's not that big, and SRD used 4, yes 4 200' gill nets. They basically covered the entire lake. I was there when he set them. Were that many nets really necessary?
Anyways, I was at Spruce yesterday, and the fishing sucked....BAD. Before last Tuesday (when the netting was done) I would land 30+ fish in a day, some nice ones up to 18". Yesterday was only 6 10"-12", all day. I ran my sonar over the entire lake twice as well. Fish population is way, way down from where it was before the netting. SRD's excuse was they wanted to see if any walleye were left in the lake. Couldn't they have just done a survey, or used just one net? It also seems like they might be trying to cover there tracks, as it looked like it was recently stocked again. There was a whole bunch of small 4"-5" brookies hanging around the boat launch, along with several that were dead floating in the area.
Needless to say, Spruce is no where near the fishery it was just 10 days ago thanks to these IDOTS at SRD!! Lethbridge branch if you care to make a call.

A beautiful little lake, WAS a decent fishery, all gone because these idiots at SRD have no clue. Thanks for killing the fishing at Spruce for another 2 years you bloddy ret**ds!

Question: What does it take to be a biologist for SRD.

Answer: Pass the "I have no idea what I'm doing cause I'm and Idiot" test!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Banned

How many degrees do you have Shawn?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 PM

This should get good...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
This should get good...
Frick, I'm sitting on the sidelines with Geezle preparing to watch someone else go at it! Pass the popcorn G.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Banned

You could always email the person that collected the data and ask them how many fish were caught as well as the size distribution.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:50 PM

I love how some people think their fishing experience is paramount over the vitality over the entire ecosystem and area hahahahahahahaha.

Having said that its the government dude! really you should put your expectations in check. And we live in Alberta if it isnt black and rhyme with toil the PC party does not give two squirts of **** about it...maybe one but not two.

Cheers
Snooch
Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
You could always email the person that collected the data and ask them how many fish were caught as well as the size distribution.
You could even let us know what the results were.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You could even let us know what the results were.
Quoting the only person who's opinion you respect, eh??? LOL
Old 07-27-2012, 01:58 PM

In a respectful manner call the biologist in lethbridge and express your concerns and get his feedback. If your not satisfield with the response then
you can contact the head office in Edmonton. and so on.

My concern..having done test netting before ..would be the amount of time the nets were left in the water..and again what was the purpose of the set ?
It's costs alot of money to stock lakes and to kill those fish is not efficiency but again the WHOLE STORY is necessary before make any conclusions and pointing the finger.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Here ya go Slick, I'm sure Terry or Emeric would love to explain to you the ins and outs of population studies.

Terry.Clayton@gov.ab.ca
403-382-4362
Emeric.Janssens@gov.ab.ca
403-382-4353
Lethbridge
Old 07-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Quoting the only person who's opinion you respect, eh??? LOL
No, just adding to an idea.

Thanks for your deep thought Jack Handy.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:03 PM

A few years ago a couple of friends and I were starting to field dress an bull elk, when this CO rides up on a quad. The first thing out of her mouth "That's a nice moose you have there". My buddy responded by saying Oh Sh*t I put my elk tag on it. It was funny as hell, but pretty sad when the can't even tell the difference between and elk and a moose.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
Remember the netting they did at Spruce Coulee last week, in which they pulled hundreds and hundreds of Brookies from the water, along with several large walleye. Only reason was to see if there was walleye in the water. If you know Spruce, you know it's not that big, and SRD used 4, yes 4 200' gill nets. They basically covered the entire lake. I was there when he set them. Were that many nets really necessary?
Anyways, I was at Spruce yesterday, and the fishing sucked....BAD. Before last Tuesday (when the netting was done) I would land 30+ fish in a day, some nice ones up to 18". Yesterday was only 6 10"-12", all day. I ran my sonar over the entire lake twice as well. Fish population is way, way down from where it was before the netting. SRD's excuse was they wanted to see if any walleye were left in the lake. Couldn't they have just done a survey, or used just one net? It also seems like they might be trying to cover there tracks, as it looked like it was recently stocked again. There was a whole bunch of small 4"-5" brookies hanging around the boat launch, along with several that were dead floating in the area.
Needless to say, Spruce is no where near the fishery it was just 10 days ago thanks to these IDOTS at SRD!! Lethbridge branch if you care to make a call.

A beautiful little lake, WAS a decent fishery, all gone because these idiots at SRD have no clue. Thanks for killing the fishing at Spruce for another 2 years you bloddy ret**ds!

They did exactly the same thing to Beaver Lake by Caroline earlier this year with exactly the same result.......... Go figure...
Old 07-27-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
No, just adding to an idea.

Thanks for your deep thought Jack Handy.
I know, just kidding. The edit button works good for adding thoughts too.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:

I would say you passed that test with flying carpets through your entire post.

In fact, if passing that test is all it takes to be a fisheries biologist, I would say the AFS may be ready for a new president. I hope you will be willing to accept my nomination of you, will anyone second this?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 PM

second it!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Shawnlh Is SRD Stupid???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well you can't please everyone next time tell them to consult you first.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Well you can't please everyone next time tell them to consult you first.
come on now....him not being able to catch or mark any fish is obviously a sign that all the fish are dead.

read down a few threads and you will see they must have gill netted pigeon as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 PM

Well that's a relief. It turns out that every time I didn't catch fish, there must have been netting earlier. It feels good to have someone to blame.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 PM

Perhaps they did take some fish out and lower the population.

That had nothing to do with the amount of food supply. Perhaps you have a slightly smaller # of fish with the same amount of food that used to feed them all. Easier for the remaining fish to find and eat food and stay away from a poorly presented hook.

I would suggest refining your technique to match the conditions. You already know that there are a few less fish and now you have to put a better presentation in the water.

I see no reason why you can't have 30+ fish days again if you change your fishing habits.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 PM

I think Shawn is just blowing off a little steam and venting, can understand the frustration I guess. It's a pretty small lake and 800 ft of net does seem a little excessive. I was out Sun and Tue, I think. Sun. got 6 little ones, the other day skunked. Did notice a few dead fish and more than a few small trout hanging out in really shallow water. As for the catching it's going to be a tough lake for the rest of the year, that place is packed with minnows. Fish were rising for the fry in surface, I would guess an honest 100 fry per sq mtr. Crazy the amount of minnows in there. Hopefully when the backswimmers started to mate things will get hot.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:48 PM

when you go for a physical do you tell them to just check your left side, if its good the right side must be ok too? or would you like to cover all the bases to be sure of a good diagnosis?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronk View Post
A few years ago a couple of friends and I were starting to field dress an bull elk, when this CO rides up on a quad. The first thing out of her mouth "That's a nice moose you have there". My buddy responded by saying Oh Sh*t I put my elk tag on it. It was funny as hell, but pretty sad when the can't even tell the difference between and elk and a moose.
CO's do not work for SRD nor have they for a few years now. Fish and Wildlife officers worked for SRD up to last fall. CO's work for Parks. Geesh bet your face is red questioning their intelligence now!

As for the original poster, appears that your fishing skills maybe more in question than the fisheries biologists you are so quick to condemn based on your vast knowledge and experience.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
As for the original poster, appears that your fishing skills maybe more in question than the fisheries biologists you are so quick to condemn based on your vast knowledge and experience.
Fishing skills have nothing to do with it. Seems odd the half dozen times I was out before the netting I would bring 20-30 fish to hand in a day, then just about nothing? All within a few days of each other? As far as knowing why they netted, I asked them while they were loading the boat. It was to check for walleye in the water. The biologist told me, and I quote "how else are we suppose to know if there's still walleye in here?"

Yes my original post did contain some venting from a days frustration. Sorry about that. And yes I have contacted several people from SRD and F&W. Hopefully I'll get a straight answer soon. If I can understand why they did this, and have a reasonable explanation, I can quit pouting. Not like it makes any difference how I feel, but then the rest of you won't have to waste your time reading my feelings on the interweb either.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:49 AM

One more thought. If a biologist, or some one affiliated with them reads this, perhaps they could be kind enough to explain why, here in this thread. That way we all would be in the know.

Again, sorry for the venting/name calling. Unfortunately I'm unable edit the original post.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:52 AM

Let us know how its fishing there once the hot spell goes away and if you notice an increase in average size when ice fishing this winter.

I would be interested in knowing.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
One more thought. If a biologist, or some one affiliated with them reads this, perhaps they could be kind enough to explain why, here in this thread. That way we all would be in the know.

Again, sorry for the venting/name calling. Unfortunately I'm unable edit the original post.
Eh, no worries.

It'll be interesting to hear what the results were.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:05 AM

Terry is back from holidays, why dont you call and ask him yourself? I caught 8 sturgeon last Friday. same spot next day not a bite. do you think someone came and netted them all in the night?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Terry is back from holidays, why dont you call and ask him yourself? I caught 8 sturgeon last Friday. same spot next day not a bite. do you think someone came and netted them all in the night?
Your comparing a river to a small lake how dose that make any sence ?????
Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmuiz View Post
Your comparing a river to a small lake how dose that make any sence ?????
sarcasm...