Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-12-2023, 10:03 AM

Default SPFGA- Comments

Visited this range yesterday, for the first time in over 30 years.
I've got to say, I was impressed.
From the safety, to the cleanliness, to the layout, to the members. Everything was pleasantly surprising.

I had a membership at Genesee for many years and only made it out once due to closures, events, more closures...

Anyway, if you're a SPFGA member and take advantage of the range, consider yourself lucky.
And if you're a proud volunteer, I thank you.
It was a pleasure being out there.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:16 AM

It is a nice facility, but there are behind the scene issues that are driving away some volunteers and members.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:10 PM

Wow. Guy comes here and said he had a great experience and you post this.
Well if you call them out then post it up for the rest of us in case we are thinking about going there.
WDF
Old 06-12-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
Wow. Guy comes here and said he had a great experience and you post this.
Well if you call them out then post it up for the rest of us in case we are thinking about going there.
WDF
I have made inquiries to the executive, and am awaiting a reply, but one concern is that while expenses have been reduced significantly , examples being the termination of affiliation with AFGA, and the termination of the company that has looked after memberships and membership services, and the closing of the office, the membership rates have increased significantly. Many of us would like to know where the extra money is going. There was also controversy over the dismissal of a previously elected president, because he held some new people accountable . Several volunteers also ceased volunteering, because of the treatment of some volunteers by the new executive. It's still a nice facility, but there seems to be some issues with the way recent executives want to run the club
Old 06-12-2023, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have made inquiries to the executive, and am awaiting a reply, but one concern is that while expenses have been reduced significantly , examples being the termination of affiliation with AFGA, and the termination of the company that has looked after memberships and membership services, and the closing of the office, the membership rates have increased significantly. Many of us would like to know where the extra money is going. There was also controversy over the dismissal of a previously elected president, because he held some new people accountable . Several volunteers also ceased volunteering, because of the treatment of some volunteers by the new executive. It's still a nice facility, but there seems to be some issues with the way recent executives want to run the club
Is that all?

Whew!
I was worried you were going to say that the executives were going to demand that everyone where a badge with their pronouns.
That would have ended it, but what you're talking about I'll probably be able to deal with for now.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I havnt been a member for the last 4 years after a 20 year membership... politics took over - resulting in too many changes for me...
Old 06-13-2023, 09:46 AM

I know there has been some issues and changes the last few years with SPFGA that bothered some people but I think the club is headed in the right direction IMO.

They are currently finalizing hiring two full time maintenance employees as the property was starting to go downhill a bit counting on volunteers(limited people/time).

They have or are in the near future upgrading ranges and trails that have been needed the last few years.

They upgraded the main gate from a manual open to an automatic/electronic swipe a year or two ago.

They are looking to start more shoots/programs for all members, but especially youths and females.

They are looking at expanding the land area/facilities at the SPFGA range. Details to come once decided I was told.

They renovated/upgraded the clubhouse in the last year so it can be used year round, prior to that water needed to be shut off in the winter. Members and other clubs are using it frequently again which is good PR for the club.

All of these things account for the minor increases in range fees the last couple years IMO.

All in all I think it's a great facility that's pretty well run, fairly close to Edmonton and now has a vision to keep operating with members/neighbors support well into the future....
Old 06-14-2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
I know there has been some issues and changes the last few years with SPFGA that bothered some people but I think the club is headed in the right direction IMO.

They are currently finalizing hiring two full time maintenance employees as the property was starting to go downhill a bit counting on volunteers(limited people/time).

They have or are in the near future upgrading ranges and trails that have been needed the last few years.

They upgraded the main gate from a manual open to an automatic/electronic swipe a year or two ago.

They are looking to start more shoots/programs for all members, but especially youths and females.

They are looking at expanding the land area/facilities at the SPFGA range. Details to come once decided I was told.

They renovated/upgraded the clubhouse in the last year so it can be used year round, prior to that water needed to be shut off in the winter. Members and other clubs are using it frequently again which is good PR for the club.

All of these things account for the minor increases in range fees the last couple years IMO.

All in all I think it's a great facility that's pretty well run, fairly close to Edmonton and now has a vision to keep operating with members/neighbors support well into the future....
Hmm 2 views of what is going on and happening, I like the latter best.
WDF
Old 06-15-2023, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Hmm 2 views of what is going on and happening, I like the latter best.
WDF
Of course you like the latter best, everyone likes to hear how great their club is doing. If you are a member, you already should be aware that the AFGA affilation was terminated, you should have been notified that the company that handles member services is being terminated, and you are well aware of the cost increases. You may even be aware that Wednesday night trap was terminated, because there were no volunteers willing to take over. The gate was upgraded a few years ago, before all of these things happened.
Yes the club now has a mission statement, and the online orientation now teaches history and the mission statement, as well as safety, that was taught previously in orientation. There are now regular e-mails informing members of these changes, that must be acknowledged to maintain range access. And if you notice someone shooting a banned firearm on the premises, which can endanger the approval of the range, you are not to mention it to the person,because they don't want anyone to be offended.
It all comes down to whether you believe that all of these changes benefit the members or not.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 06-15-2023 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Of course you like the latter best, everyone likes to hear how great their club is doing. If you are a member, you already should be aware that the AFGA affilation was terminated, you should have been notified that the company that handles member services is being terminated, and you are well aware of the cost increases. You may even be aware that Wednesday night trap was terminated, because there were no volunteers willing to take over. The gate was upgraded a few years ago, before all of these things happened.
Yes the club now has a mission statement, and the online orientation now teaches history and the mission statement, as well as safety, that was taught previously in orientation. There are now regular e-mails informing members of these changes, that must be acknowledged to maintain range access. And if you notice someone shooting a banned firearm on the premises, which can endanger the approval of the range, you are not to mention it to the person,because they don't want anyone to be offended.
It all comes down to whether you believe that all of these changes benefit the members or not.
If a member attends the AGM all the financials should be available to the membership. That should answer many of your concerns in your first post.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
If a member attends the AGM all the financials should be available to the membership. That should answer many of your concerns in your first post.
Except the AGMs have been virtual for a few years.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:33 PM

As a disclaimer I do not go to the meetings as I have spent too much time involved in meetings and do not want the frustration. I do volunteer but only for things I enjoy or at least feel are useful. My views are from the point of view of a member.

Personally I like the direction the club is moving. There is more involvement from shooters and more new shooters have been showing up.

There is much more communication in the emails. Having to acknowledge receipt is only a matter of clicking on a button.

There are also the points given in the first post.

I am not arguing your points as nothing is perfect to everybody but I believe they are headed in the right direction.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I thought what I said was the end of the conversation, why is it that you have to make a statement and keep writing when it is not warranted? Seriuosly, is there not one post you have not posted in?? Really think about it before responding! Gonna be hard to do isn't it....
WDF
Old 06-15-2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I thought what I said was the end of the conversation, why is it that you have to make a statement and keep writing when it is not warranted? Seriuosly, is there not one post you have not posted in?? Really think about it before responding! Gonna be hard to do isn't it....
WDF
So when you post, it's the end of every discussion? You alone decide what is warranted? I didn't
realize that AO had a king.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
So when you post, it's the end of every discussion? You alone decide what is warranted? I didn't
realize that AO had a king.
No just my discussion with you! Now to find that block button. Yaaa found it!
Have yourself whatever kind of day you want, I know my will be great.
Cheers
WDF
Old 06-16-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
If they can pull off all that without any of it showing in the end product, and their membership prices are lower than most others, that's impressive.

I was a long time member at Genesee, and 90% of the time when I wanted to go there, the range was closed or booked for some function. Not only that, their single person membership fee is ridiculously high and going up substantially every year.
Hence why I moved over.

Maybe we'll see a different result coming from these changes in the next few years, but like I said, I was thoroughly impressed.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:42 AM

SPFGA is a premier facility in every sense of the word.

Does less than honourable stuff happen behind the scenes? Haven’t found a group of humans that run something beyond questioning yet, so if there is not currently, just wait a while

I gave up my membership due to braked rifles beside me. Just ruins my day, but I realize they pay the same fees as I did.

The key to membership is help out when you can.

Ranges run on volunteers.

Where else can you go to take kids camping, shooting, and fishing all in the same place, and have a padlock close behind you?

Smiles don’t lie.

That was 10 years ago. Both them boys are shooting 7 Rem Mags now. Time flies when you are having fun!

Last edited by sns2; 06-17-2023 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:00 AM

Smiles don't Lie! They were having fun that's for sure!
Old 06-17-2023, 09:12 AM

A proud member out there and there are many changes that i am on board with.
They are, however, catering to the new woke behaviours, like catering to the minority.
All the money on cameras, yet they treat infractions as the majority’s fault.
They cut the tables out of the benches because they dont want to go after who was actually being unsafe while uncasing.
They have target boards that are all shot up with birdshot, so we get crap boards to shoot on.
Consequences change poor behaviour. Education next.
If they grew some teeth, i really wouldnt have anything else to say. My son and i will be creating smiles there today.