Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-16-2023, 07:17 AM

Default CDS question on specs - AB specific questions

Hi everyone,

Dan with Average ballistic and shooting knowledge here. Some would say below average

I recently bought a Leupold vx 5 3-15x44 scope. I would like to get a CDS custom made for my round of choice for my 7mm rem mag. I like the Barnes 160gr TSXBT. Mostly because I have a good supply of them.

I’m wondering if anyone can help me with what I should enter for CDS questions like: average temp, average altitude and actual muzzle velocity. The rest of the questions are ballistics info I can find.

I know this all depends on what I hunt, where etc. I live in Edmonton and usually hunt peace river country, parkland areas, some foothills areas, but would like to be able to go for sheep one day too.

Any suggestions on this would really be appreciated

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2023, 01:53 PM

What I did for my setup is get the average elevation of where you are going to be, if for hunting determine early or late season and get an average temp, get your velocity from a chronograph.

That has worked effectively for me. However I am more of a hunter than a Len accuracy chasing target shooter so results may vary. The most important part is to verify your drops for varying temps and elevations to ensure it is going to work for you. Based on my experience you will likely not notice a lot of drift until you get past 5-600 yards.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:38 PM

As far as velocity what I do is take ten shots past my lab radar and send Korth the average velocity of those shots. I know the elevation of my bench is 2350’ so that’s what I use for elevation. Atmospheric conditions I get from my Kestrel.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:53 PM

Thanks guys! That helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk