Wholesale Sports 23 25.56%
Bass Pro Shops 5 5.56%
Walmart 1 1.11%
Canadian Tire 6 6.67%
Smaller Specialty Fly Shops 13 14.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 PM

Default Who do you support?

Where do you lay down your hard earned cash for your tackle and fishing related gear? Who has the most knowledgeable staff that are willing to give you the help your looking for?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 PM

fishin hole always gets my money. they stand by there products and the service is the best in calgary.i want the guy giving me advice to know what he is talking about not a guy who moved over from produce......
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 PM

You missed these options out:

* I don't really care
* Wherever I'm nearest to
* Wherever has it in stock
Old 04-21-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
You missed these options out:

* I don't really care
* Wherever I'm nearest to
* Wherever has it in stock
ready for that coffee yet photo?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
I can't figure out if you're trying to hit on me...
Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 PM

depends where there is a sale.Mostly fishin hole;good service!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:08 PM

PS. I'm not taking any sides - I'm being genuine when I say I don't really have any allegiances to one store another. Nowadays, I tend to visit most of them eventually (in a round-robin kind of way) and if I'm looking for something particularly hard to find (like a particular model Rap, in a particular size and colour) I'll call round till somewhere has it in stock - then I'll go buy it there. BPS does has some smoking deals on apparel though.

Incidentally - the fishing staff in WSS are the most annoying of any store I've been in to. They follow me around like lost puppies constantly asking if I'm ok. Maybe it's because the English aren't used to it, but it really gets on my tits
Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

Fishing hole first if they have it they got my money
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoplex View Post
ps. I'm not taking any sides - i'm being genuine when i say i don't really have any allegiances to one store another. Nowadays, i tend to visit most of them eventually (in a round-robin kind of way) and if i'm looking for something particularly hard to find (like a particular model rap, in a particular size and colour) i'll call round till somewhere has it in stock - then i'll go buy it there. Bps does has some smoking deals on apparel though.

Incidentally - the fishing staff in wss are the most annoying of any store i've been in to. They follow me around like lost puppies constantly asking if i'm ok. Maybe it's because the english aren't used to it, but it really gets on my tits
are you being served!...............
Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
PS. I'm not taking any sides - I'm being genuine when I say I don't really have any allegiances to one store another. Nowadays, I tend to visit most of them eventually (in a round-robin kind of way) and if I'm looking for something particularly hard to find (like a particular model Rap, in a particular size and colour) I'll call round till somewhere has it in stock - then I'll go buy it there. BPS does has some smoking deals on apparel though.

Incidentally - the fishing staff in WSS are the most annoying of any store I've been in to. They follow me around like lost puppies constantly asking if I'm ok. Maybe it's because the English aren't used to it, but it really gets on my tits
maybe after you speak and they hear your voice they classify you as a bad nationality that will poach fishing hooks.....
Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM

anywhere close usually wss or bps. gonna have to check out fishing hole, as im not a fan of bps fishing gear ...
Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 PM

I like to shop at the Fishin hole for most of my stuff because of the customer service and my old man and I are sort of buddys with one of the employees there. If the fishin hole doesn't have what I want, I go to whole sale sports.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM

The smaller specialty fly shops. The selection is great. The service toward me is excellent. These shops have to compete with the bigger stores in town that offer lower prices, but the service goes to pot. I would much rather spend a little extra money to help out the smaller stores, have a coffee and shoot the breeze with the owner. Not to mention get some great advice if needed.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 PM

The smaller store generaly = more knolage and more learning about the place your going to.
they will tell you secrets to let them come back to there shop and they tell someone and so on.
they arnt afraid to awnser ALL of your questions
great service i support the smaller shops
Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 PM

I shop at wholesale sports for my fly tying stuff. they have a selection that the fishin hole cant beat, their fly section is bigger than the entire fishin hole store. but if im buying big ticket items like a ice tent, auger, gps or rods im at the fishin hole.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
hahahaha. This is a great night on the AOF forum. a great night indeed
Old 04-21-2011, 11:16 PM

I give the SS Fishin' Hole 90% of my business. I will hit up all the others as well for a looksy but Kevin and his guys are great to just shoot the jab with. When in the Calgary area I always hit up BPS.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
hahahaha. This is a great night on the AOF forum. a great night indeed
want Dace and me to come over and show you how not to mod out a boat?....lol
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
maybe after you speak and they hear your voice they classify you as a bad nationality that will poach fishing hooks.....
Just between us, mate, I feel a little like that anywhere I go in Alberta. It's kind of bad enough that we're considering moving away from Alberta to a province that's a little more accepting of people different from themselves. Don't get me wrong - I've met some really nice people here in AB... but, in general, it's quite a hostile place if you're not white, anglo-saxon, and christian (and I'm 0 for 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 View Post
The smaller specialty fly shops. The selection is great. The service toward me is excellent. These shops have to compete with the bigger stores in town that offer lower prices, but the service goes to pot. I would much rather spend a little extra money to help out the smaller stores, have a coffee and shoot the breeze with the owner. Not to mention get some great advice if needed.
The waders I was looking at were $70 more at CP than one of the big retailers. $70. That's a lot of extra lolly just for the personal touch!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
want Dace and me to come over and show you how not to mod out a boat?....lol
haha. nope, I think I got it. Hard enough to keep my father away from it.

Im designing a bucket and drumstick holder just for you. KFC might sponsor me for it. I figured something like that will lure you into my boat and I could get you onto travers sometime this summer. lol
Old 04-21-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Just between us, mate, I feel a little like that anywhere I go in Alberta. It's kind of bad enough that we're considering moving away from Alberta to a province that's a little more accepting of people different from themselves. Don't get me wrong - I've met some really nice people here in AB... but, in general, it's quite a hostile place if you're not white, anglo-saxon, and christian.

The waders I was looking at were $70 more at CP than one of the big retailers. $70. That's a lot of extra lolly just for the personal touch!

thats not good
Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
haha. nope, I think I got it. Hard enough to keep my father away from it.

Im designing a bucket and drumstick holder just for you. KFC might sponsor me for it. I figured something like that will lure you into my boat and I could get you onto travers sometime this summer. lol

hahha...their gravy is like chubby powerbait
Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 PM

[QUOTE=Photoplex;915704]Just between us, mate, I feel a little like that anywhere I go in Alberta. It's kind of bad enough that we're considering moving away from Alberta to a province that's a little more accepting of people different from themselves. Don't get me wrong - I've met some really nice people here in AB... but, in general, it's quite a hostile place if you're not white, anglo-saxon, and christian (and I'm 0 for 3)

First of all it shouldnt be that way canada is made up of all the nations put togther.
frecnh and native with europeans and russsians ,asians ect.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
thats not good
Meh, life's too short to get hung up on it - live and learn!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 PM

For me, it's all about conveniance. I'm not a hardcore puddle fisher here, but I do have a crappy tire within vision of my house. so, that's usually my first stop.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post

First of all it shouldnt be that way canada is made up of all the nations put togther.
frecnh and native with europeans and russsians ,asians ect.
Dude. Do us all a favor. Before you post, put it in microsoft word. Hit f7 for spell check. do the spell check. Then hit ctrl A, Crtl C, and then come on ao and hit crtl V.

Thx!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Ha! I used to love that show!

As for the poll, unless it's terribly inconvenient, TFH usually gets the first shot at my money. The guys at the two stores I frequent are great, especially the guys at the South store

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-21-2011, 11:34 PM

TFH southside Edmonton all the way, just my kind of shop.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Haha!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Cam T

Not BPS, I tried to buy fly line there three times in the past 4 months. NO one available to sell fly line. It is behind the counter and the "guy" was away, because winter time is not fly season. I suggested they shut the hunting section down when it too is out of season. So I buy my fishing supplies anywhere but BPS! Might as well as say it, BASS PRO SHOP, Come on Cabela's!

Tags
the fishing hole