Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2020, 10:39 AM

Default Tree stand location access...... in the dark

Anyone have tips for accessing their tree stand spot in the dark. I could easily ride my quad out very very early, hours before light. But the only issue is the tree stand location is on a fields edge, so its tough to find an area to hide the quad or park it far enough away so it doesnt spook any deer away (smell or sight).

Does anyone on here ride their quad to their stand or blind? I can bury the quad in brush and burlap blind material. Or would I be better off walking the km or so packing in the climbing stand, backpack, rifle ect. To note this isnt griz country, only seen one black bear on cam in 3 months. never seen wolves but definitely seen their tracks. So i am not overly concerned about predators.

First time solo hunting for whitetail! Pretty excited, but wondering the best way to attack the "getting to the spot".

thanks.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:15 AM

Walk in. Make sure your being careful to approach in a way that doesn't leave your scent all over the area/ trails you expect the deer to come from. Watch your wind. Have fun. I hope you fold a tag
Old 10-30-2020, 12:39 PM

1km walk in farm country, no mountains to climb or bogs to cross, taking the quad wouldn't even be something I would consider for a second regardless of what I had to pack in.
Keep the quad on the trailer until you need it to pack out your Booner...
Old 10-30-2020, 01:04 PM

Leave the stand on the ground on the tree that you're hunting and walk in ,like the other said hunting fields in the morning is tough to access without spooking everything.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2020, 01:15 PM

Always walk

X2 on what 35 whelen said
Old 10-30-2020, 01:30 PM

I like to get up extra early, go through all the preparation, and walk to my spot very early in the extreme dark.
That way, when I hear the deer all run away from me, I can't see them, and I can convince myself there were no giant bucks in there.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:39 PM

My best morning stand tactic is set up on the travel corridor away from their feeding spot. I try to be at least 80 yds in from the field and plan my route to the stand well in advance. I don't go anywhere near where they feed so I don't bump them. Set up well before first light. Often in my self climber I'll be in stand by 6-6:30 and sleep until shooting light..8:30. Bundle warm lol. Then try to fill the tag as they move off their feed into their beds.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:51 PM

I appreciate the input, 100% I will walk in, biggest challenge will be getting into the trees without causing too much disruption as the travel area for the deer runs along the tilled field and the treeline. Most likely will have to cross into the trees well before the spot for the stand.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308WIN View Post
I appreciate the input, 100% I will walk in, biggest challenge will be getting into the trees without causing too much disruption as the travel area for the deer runs along the tilled field and the treeline. Most likely will have to cross into the trees well before the spot for the stand.
One of the few reasons I don’t like climbers and hang stands well in advance
Old 10-30-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308WIN View Post
https://www.amazon.com/X-Stand-Trees.../dp/B01LWQ2P0H

Grizz
Old 10-30-2020, 08:21 PM

Lots of good advice but one thing I would add is sometimes spots are better just not hunted in the morning at all.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:40 PM

Yes walk in, one KM ain’t far!