Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 01:02 PM

Default Model 70 scope mount issue

I picked up a Leupold freedom scope and the tube is too short for my standard weaver bases . Do I need to go to a one piece talley set up ? Maybe a rail set up . Not sure if Cabelas will have this . Going to be working near Bass pro tomorrow . Any suggestions would be appreciated . 1966 manufacture
Old 10-25-2020, 02:24 PM

Weaver along with other manufacturers make what is called an extension ring that will give you about 5/8ths less distance between your ocular lens and the objective bell. As a rule this will take care of the shorter tubed scopes. Take a measurement before you go shopping just to be sure. D.H.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:04 PM

You could use Tally one pieces; I’m not a big fan as I’ve had one crack but people do love them.

I would use Leupold bases (dual dove tail) with an extension ring in the front; I don’t trust the wind age adjustable rear base. However as stated earlier many manufactures make extension rings, you can also find extension weaver bases to assist with bribing the rings closer together.

Best of luck! Enjoy your new scope once you get it mounted up!
Old 10-30-2020, 10:56 AM

Default M70 mounts

I've found that Leupold bases with the extension rings set works good.
Talleys are nice, but from the sounds of it, you might not have enough real estate to work with them if the weaver rings aren't working.
A rail would give you all the back and forth movement you ever needed but it does send the scope significantly higher off the bore.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:58 PM

If you already have the weaver rings just get a full length base mount, you can then mount it anywhere you want

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.