Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 07:25 AM

Default Pinnated Grouse in Alberta?

Did anyone read Mark Boyce's article this month in the AO about re-introduction of the Prairie Chicken? I'm wondering how many of you would support a re-introduction program and maybe even a yearly release!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Gone Hunting

They didnt make it and our sagies are on thier way out... I would only ask, when we are addressing none of the driving forces behind our losses, why bother? What a waste of time and resources... Our society is just a circus of retards going round and round in a seemingly endless circle of stupidity...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 Gun Salute View Post
Did anyone read Mark Boyce's article this month in the AO about re-introduction of the Prairie Chicken? I'm wondering how many of you would support a re-introduction program and maybe even a yearly release!

My father always talked about the prairie chickens that were here up until the 1930's. They were native to the area and the problem was they were to easy to shoot. Pioneers and hunters used to shoot the whole flock from their roosts. Sort of like the millions of passenger pigeons that used to be here too. All were decimated by the hunters of the late 1800's and early 1900's. Now both are extinct in Alberta.

If we brought them back, I am not sure they would have to be released yearly. I am quite sure they would rebound on their own.... if we didn't allow hunting them for the first decade.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-15-2014, 11:12 AM

I am all in for the reintroduction

David
Old 08-15-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
I am all in for the reintroduction

David
Same here.

Besides simply having Prairie Chickens back, this species back might help with land conservation efforts. The reintroduction could help break the circle Pack speaks of.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-15-2014, 12:02 PM

I am all for the re-introduction of a native species, far prefer it to dumping pheasants out to die, but as long as we are plowing everything under leaving no grass lands for nesting and wintering it's pretty much doomed.

here is an interesting write-up

http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2...-save-our.html
Old 08-15-2014, 01:05 PM

If there were opinionated grouse in Alberta, they would be on this forum...

Oh, you said pinnated. Carry on.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I am all for the re-introduction of a native species, far prefer it to dumping pheasants out to die, but as long as we are plowing everything under leaving no grass lands for nesting and wintering it's pretty much doomed.

here is an interesting write-up

http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2...-save-our.html
Yup, plow it up and crop it....the demise of all grassland species in Alta and Sask. Quite sad.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:50 PM

As unpopular as this statement will be, a program like RAMP, implemented right could have went a long way to help this.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 PM

I'm guessing they would tend to live in some of the same habitat as Sharpies. Would you be able to tell the difference on the flush?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:38 PM

There are prairie chickens around & living free in one area that'll stay unnamed. I know this second-hand from the farmer there. Course, I've no idea how abundant or scarce they are there.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
There are prairie chickens around & living free in one area that'll stay unnamed. I know this second-hand from the farmer there. Course, I've no idea how abundant or scarce they are there.
There have been no records since shortly after Alberta was settled. I expect that the farmer is talking about Sharptails. If not, they should be reported.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-16-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Most farmers down south call sharptail's prairie chickens and will not acknowledge they are in any way different. I have had landowners show us the elusive prairie chickens that weren't sharpies, definetly just sharpies.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:30 PM

I think the nomenclature of the bird has been an issue from way back. I have been reading some historical docs and pretty much every upland game bird in Canada has been referred to as a Prairie Chicken at one point or another included Huns and Pheasants after their introduction. I believe that's one of the reasons the Prairie Chicken managed to slip into obscurity without anyone noticing until one day we woke up and they we gone!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
Most farmers down south call sharptail's prairie chickens and will not acknowledge they are in any way different. I have had landowners show us the elusive prairie chickens that weren't sharpies, definetly just sharpies.
Yeah, that was my reply when I was told. "Nope. You have to be mistaken. Ain't no such thing as prairie chickens around."

Anyhow, maybe sometime I'll get out there myself & check it out.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:08 PM

Default p.grouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
There have been no records since shortly after Alberta was settled. I expect that the farmer is talking about Sharptails. If not, they should be reported.
I saw a bunch on a ranch in the 70's and I know the difference b/w a sharpie and a p.grouse & I am in favour of creating a reintroduction program

That said, just like the burrowing owl..once a rancher / farmer show the gov't a breeding population they get the bureaucratic bend over and lose control of part of their land...hence the reluctance & fear to come forward
Old 08-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
That said, just like the burrowing owl..once a rancher / farmer show the gov't a breeding population they get the bureaucratic bend over and lose control of part of their land...hence the reluctance & fear to come forward
So true, the same thing is happening in Sage Grouse country. There has been a flock on public land purchased by the ACA but there needs to be better support for private land owners who have endangered species on there lands.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 PM

Default True prairie chicken

A number of years ago I hunted with a landowner in central Alberta who told me a number of times, in confidence, that he had prairie chicken on his farm---he saw them most years when weather got cold and miserable---and yes, he knew that they were not sharptails.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
If we brought them back, I am not sure they would have to be released yearly. I am quite sure they would rebound on their own.... if we didn't allow hunting them for the first decade.
Agreed, reintroduction with a decade of no hunting may along them to bounce back.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
I'm guessing they would tend to live in some of the same habitat as Sharpies. Would you be able to tell the difference on the flush?
Yes. I've hunted sharpies in prairie chicken territory and it was obvious what was what on the flush. Just have to focus on education.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 AM

Ive ehard rumours about the odd one hanging around in 232, but have never in 27 years even seen one flush :P
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 PM

Does anyone have any old photos of Prairie Chickens?