Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Banned

Default "Fencelining"

A 1/4 of private land in oats borders against 2 1/4s of crown to the North & West. Owner of the private won't give permission.

Owner of the private (hunter himself) has his panties in a bunch because I have a stand 35 yards from his fence to the north. Calls it fencelining and says he will phone the fish cops if I don't remove it.

I'm well aware of the legalities so no need to discuss that aspect, curious what others would do in this situstion. My opinion is too bad so sad, crown land.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:28 PM

The deer probably feed on his oats and then head back onto to crown, to bad so sad sounds fair. But that's just my 2cents.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM

Sure, except when whatever you shoot goes onto his property... You'll be having a hard time with him allowing you on to retrieve downed game. He will say "no, get lost"
You'll say "I have to get on to get my animal"
Eventually F&W will be called and they will eventually make arrangements to let you get your animal. By then, the meat could be spoiled and you've wasted a lot of time trying to get all of this done. Seems like more hassle than what it's worth to me. I'd maybe find a trail and back track it a little further from his property to lessen the chance of shot game making their way to the landowners' side of the fence.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 PM

He should respect that the crown land is not his....have him call F&W. They won't do anything, make darn sure if you shoot something it is in the crown though....if it runs to his land, call F&W ASAP and have permission from the. To go look....

LC
Old 08-27-2014, 01:51 PM

Also be aware that if you shoot at an animal along the fence line, and a projectile enters the private land, you could be charged.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM

You built a permanent stand on crown or are you leaving a hang on stand? 35 yards isn't fencelining but you might run into some opposition for having a permanent stand if he wants to make it difficult for you. A permanent stand isn't private property either. Forget about all this if you have a hang on stand.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:06 PM

Too bad so sad! It's not his land and he has no say. It's quite simple. So long as you follow the regulations as stipulated for 2014 and any of the discharge of firearm/projectiles regulations, there's nothing he can do about it.

I would phone F&G to get the conversation started, so that you can just immediately phone them when your attempt to contact the land owners does not work.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
Sure, except when whatever you shoot goes onto his property... You'll be having a hard time with him allowing you on to retrieve downed game. He will say "no, get lost"
You'll say "I have to get on to get my animal"
Eventually F&W will be called and they will eventually make arrangements to let you get your animal. By then, the meat could be spoiled and you've wasted a lot of time trying to get all of this done. Seems like more hassle than what it's worth to me. I'd maybe find a trail and back track it a little further from his property to lessen the chance of shot game making their way to the landowners' side of the fence.
I have shot quiet a few deer making there way to a field to feed. About 35 yards in the bush from the tree line. I have never seen one run to the field after being shot. They either run to where they were coming from or to the closest cover.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I have shot quiet a few deer making there way to a field to feed. About 35 yards in the bush from the tree line. I have never seen one run to the field after being shot. They either run to where they were coming from or to the closest cover.
I believe ya, and that is definitely what deer normally do. On the other hand, I've shot a deer just entering a field. I was sitting across the field 100yds away, and instead of turning around for cover, he decided to book it across the field right at me. I had to stand up out of the grass before he stepped on me. My point being... you never really know what an animal will actually do until you see it actually being done.

For the OP, all I'm saying is to be prepared for that situation should it occur.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Banned

It's just a hang on stand. I agree the chances of an Elk running into the wide open after the shot are slim, its possible but unlikely.

Pretty sure hes just trying to intimidate away competition anyway
Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fishin Magician View Post
It's just a hang on stand. I agree the chances of an Elk running into the wide open after the shot are slim, its possible but unlikely.

Pretty sure hes just trying to intimidate away competition anyway
I shot an elk with my bow last year....he came from the open and ran back into the open the way he came.

I find they will run back to the area they came from more so than an "uncharted" direction.

If an animal comes from the grumpy guys place and you shoot it....I would say there is a highly likely chance it will run back to where it came from.

LC
Old 08-27-2014, 03:31 PM

Go hunting you are good. I can see his point but it isn't in line with the law.
What is fence lining anyway? Is there a certain distance that you must be from a property line?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:35 PM

This sounds similar to a quarter that I have permission on. The 1/4 to the North of the fence has a blind about 10 feet in from the fence line. I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have permission to hunt on the same quarter that I'm on but that's where the deer are. Luckily I spotted him or her because they leave the windows open in the blind and sky lined them selves, other wise there's a chance that when a deer comes out either one or both of us could be shooting in the direction of the other guy.

I just leave when I see "him" in the blind as I don't want to shoot towards him and I definitely don't want him shooting towards me. Maybe one day we can work out a system.

Anyway, be careful that you don't inadvertently put yourself in the line of fire of someone shooting off of the private land towards the crown land (you), they might not know that you're there.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-27-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
I believe ya, and that is definitely what deer normally do. On the other hand, I've shot a deer just entering a field. I was sitting across the field 100yds away, and instead of turning around for cover, he decided to book it across the field right at me. I had to stand up out of the grass before he stepped on me. My point being... you never really know what an animal will actually do until you see it actually being done.

For the OP, all I'm saying is to be prepared for that situation should it occur.
Good advise.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:38 PM

I would pull out and move my stand deeper...
Old 08-27-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Beats getting shot at, on purpose or other wise. lol
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Beats getting shot at, on purpose or other wise. lol
I go a field to enjoy myself, simple as that... If I feel any pressure in an area I leave and enjoy somewhere else..
Old 08-27-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
lol. I thought you said "I will pull out and move my stand deeper.." not "I would...".
This made me think you were the OP and heeding my advise about the risk of getting shot by being close to a private fence line. I too move along if others are in the area.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Banned

Not too concerned about getting shot, its archery season and the guy doesn't bow hunt. By rifle season I hunt closer to home to avoid the idiots.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:28 PM

Who needs a hassle I would just backtrack the trail an additional 50 yds or so and set up there so the chance of a hit animal making his field is less. I agree he is trying to intimidate you so he can have his cake and eat it too but you have every right to hunt the crown qtrs. Never heard of fencelining thats his made up term and in means nothing in respect to your rights to hunt crown land . if you are in the crown land 3 feet from fence you are ok but like I said why provoke an issue just move back a bit and when you get an animal offer him a steak. That will either calm him down or really get his goat and either is OK if he is a jerk
Old 08-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Banned

Shot animals very SELDOM run for OPEN areas or open fields , hunt the Crown land and to hell with the sour-puss wanna-be on and Baron ,
Old 08-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Banned

Very interesting thread. Never knew that you had to stay a certain distance from a fenceline on a landowners property. Also wonder if you are on crownland (legal) and your bullet strikes a nice buck on the wrong side of the fence, have you commited an illegal act? You never stepped on the prohibited property, but now you have a buck down there and you are allowed to harvest an animal where it ends up.
Sounds like 2 neighbors arguing about the apple tree that is in one yard but drops apples in the other.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Also wonder if you are on crownland (legal) and your bullet strikes a nice buck on the wrong side of the fence, have you commited an illegal act?

If you read the Wildlife Act, you don't have to actually enter occupied land, to be guilty of hunting on occupied land. If you aren't the landowner, and you shoot onto, or even over the property, without permission, you are guilty of a violation. You can also be charged if a bullet or projectile passes within 200 meters of an occupied building, even if you are farther than that from the building, when you discharge the weapon. The way the laws are written, if the projectile that you discharge enters the property, then as far as the law is concerned, you have entered the property
Old 08-27-2014, 07:50 PM

Might be adviseable have a bow mounted camera.(like a go pro) If u need to positively verify were a shot was taken.
Also it would make an excellent recording device if u have a incident in the future. Just hit record and lean the bow against a tree or hook it on a limb at eye level and walk in front of it too record the discusion. Like on those police cars. Knowing your on camera will help you maintain your composure and document any perceived threats accusation.cover the record lite with tape.
Same as recording any phone call made to me.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Very interesting thread. Never knew that you had to stay a certain distance from a fenceline on a landowners property. Also wonder if you are on crownland (legal) and your bullet strikes a nice buck on the wrong side of the fence, have you commited an illegal act? You never stepped on the prohibited property, but now you have a buck down there and you are allowed to harvest an animal where it ends up.
Sounds like 2 neighbors arguing about the apple tree that is in one yard but drops apples in the other.
You have committed an illegal act.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM

Exmpler, which part of ninjas discription is illegal act ? The so called fencelining? Or the shooting on or over 'holy ground'?
Parallel shooting to the no-fly zone isnt violating anythingor is it?

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 PM

What's the point of sitting there if you're ticking the guy off? Just move somewhere else. This isn't life or death survival here, just out enjoying the woods right.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
What's the point of sitting there if you're ticking the guy off? Just move somewhere else. This isn't life or death survival here, just out enjoying the woods right.
I'd share this perspective. Find the main trail that the Elk are using, and move back along it if possible. Of course, I prefer to avoid any sort of confrontation. You are, to the best of my knowledge, within your rights. I'd just be more interested in keeping the guy content.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-27-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I'd share this perspective. Find the main trail that the Elk are using, and move back along it if possible. Of course, I prefer to avoid any sort of confrontation. You are, to the best of my knowledge, within your rights. I'd just be more interested in keeping the guy content.
Agreed , you are doing nothing wrong with placing your stand where it is ,but who needs th hassle . On the recovery aspect of game I have heard both sides of the scenario where the F&W guys get permission to go , sometimes yes , sometimes no .
Old 08-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Banned

Watching animals in the field is good for morale but setting up in the bush along a trail intersection would be more productive IMO.

Besides, I don't like people knowing where my tree stand is, especially someone that doesn't want me there.