Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2014, 03:35 PM

Default **Recreation on Agricultural Public Land - 2014**

Just to make it clear at the commencement of the 2014 hunting season, everything you as a hunter and you as a leaseholder, need to know can be found per the following links.

“In 2003, the Alberta Government clarified the rules for recreational and exploration access on agricultural dispositions issued under the Public Lands Act, including grazing leases and farm development leases. The legislation balances the needs of the leaseholders to protect the land and livestock from harm with the rights of the recreational users for reasonable access. The legislation also includes a process for addressing exploration disputes. The new rules encourage communication, co-operation and respect.”

Link to Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development - Recreational on Agricultural Public Land
http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-pu...d/default.aspx

Link to the Recreational Access on Agricultural Public Land and Access Condition Information interactive map:
https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/RecAcces...ewer=RecAccess

So, as a leaseholder, know what you can and cannot do! If you don’t like what your terms are, sorry, talk to government about your lease terms to see if they will entertain a change. Also, please check terms of your lease for recreational access so that educate yourself on what it says and to ensure that the most up to date information is associated to your lease (most of time, I find that the leaseholder doesn’t even know what is stated on the web for their lease).

And, as a hunter, please respect the terms to accessing agricultural public land for recreational purposes and do your due diligence by following the terms as set out in the lease agreements.

If everyone does these two little things, there shouldn’t be any issues.

And.. remember, you don’t own the land, you simply lease it from the public (which means you, me, and every other tax paying citizen of this great Nation)!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 PM

Just a question I hope you can answer. If i go on the website and click on an area i want to access and the contact info says "No Contact Required". Is it OK to access without trying to contact anyone?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbrechin View Post
Just a question I hope you can answer. If i go on the website and click on an area i want to access and the contact info says "No Contact Required". Is it OK to access without trying to contact anyone?
Are you asking if it says "no contact required", are you required to contact?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 PM

I can't access the different locations on my iPad as I'm missing a program to run it. Is Polehaven west of Cardston listed there?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 PM

Be sure you know what "type" of "leaseland" you are trying to access.

And don't be too ignorant while demanding permission, there may be a silver lining for being polite.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-28-2014, 11:45 AM

A good informative post on the responsibilities of both the leaseholder and those accessing this public land. Thanks dsopkow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Be sure you know what "type" of "leaseland" you are trying to access.

And don't be too ignorant while demanding permission, there may be a silver lining for being polite.
True on both points.

The link provided is for Agricultural Public Lands.
Being polite should be a given. And never demand permission. Permission from the leaseholder is not required to access these lands.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 AM

I still say you contact the leaseholder. The default terms on the website doesn't mention contact being required. I filled out all the information in February and have checked the site numerous times and they still haven't upgraded the conditions. I have called a lot and they say they are in the process of doing it, I doubt it will ever happen. Most leaseholders fill out that information, toss it in the mail and assume it's changed on the website. You can save yourself a lot of headache by just going that extra mile and contacting regardless of the website, unless it states in there "no contact required". If it doesn't mention contacting at all then you should call the leaseholder.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
A good informative post on the responsibilities of both the leaseholder and those accessing this public land. Thanks dsopkow.

True on both points.

The link provided is for Agricultural Public Lands.
Being polite should be a given. And never demand permission. Permission from the leaseholder is not required to access these lands.

You are right, but having good relations with landowners might open up some fantastic opportunity on deeded. It's worked well for a lot of hunters in my area, even a couple members on here.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw