Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Question House roof choices

I have a question about roofs on a house , I'm thinking of other kinds of roof that will last longer any help would be great thanhs Bulltrout.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:59 PM

Default Metal

I wiill be hard pressed to ever nail another shingle....
Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM

Freind of mine had a hailstorm last year it destroid his roof, now he went with a rubber roof and it looks great, just like cedar shakes, and you can get them in all kinds of styles and colours.

If you ever go to a provincial campground , like miquilon lake, Jarvis bay, or Crimson lake, look at the roofs of the new shower buildings , they are all rubber as well and it looks nice.

here is a link.
http://www.builtgreencanada.ca/g-e-m...roofing-system
Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Every building I own has a tin roof on it. Pretty hard to beat.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 PM

Next time I build, I'm putting metal roofing on (the ones that look like shakes) Cost is high, but will pay for itself over the years.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 PM

I agree with the rubber roof, it cost more but the variety of styles and colors rivals that of asphalt shingles, plus it lasts a long, long time. Metal roofs are good to from what I hear but I had one when I was a kid and all I remember was the noise it made in heavy rain and hail, could have better insulation for the sound now that was 25 years ago.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 PM

Fibreglass shingles are the norm, and are fire resistant, over asphalt or rubber. IS this a rural or cabin setting where forest fire risk exists?

There is one big caveat with Fibreglass, they are brittle and susceptible to wind damage. They do not seal well, but if you put roofing adhesive on each tab as you go along, the seal is vastly improved.

Alot of the homes that survived Slave Lake had fibreglass shingles that did not melt and burn, like the asphalt shingles.

Drewski
Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeya View Post
Next time I build, I'm putting metal roofing on (the ones that look like shakes) Cost is high, but will pay for itself over the years.
That's where I'm leaning, too. Should last at least as long as the rest of the house.

You wouldn't need sheathing, either, although you would need nailer boards across the top of the trusses/rafters.

Wonder what the noise is like during a hailstorm?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Neighbour had his tin roof damaged(lots of dents) in a recent hail storm we had. I thought they were hailproof- apparently not. Any thing is better than asphalt shingles though.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post

Wonder what the noise is like during a hailstorm?
Here ya go
Not as bad inside of course - slightly louder than a shingled roof.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 AM
AvayaAce

I put 35 year fiberglass shingles on last year. They are rates for 135 mph winds and seem good so far. I replaced cedar shakes. Shakes were going to run $40k for a new roof.........rubber was even more
Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 AM

We had fiberglass shingles on in the winds of the Crowsnest pass. They never did that well as the wind would get under them and peel them off. We replaced them with asphalt at least they stick. I have seen one guy with a metal roof and he took it off and put on asphalt. I have heard of you do put on metal to put a good backing down first.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 PM

I just re roofed our house and a large shed. Both got asphalt shingles. Looked at all the options but kept coming back to asphalt. Just don't buy cheap asphalt.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 PM

Just got back from Golden. I was big believer in metal roofs, at least until yesterday. Were up in Kicking Horse resort, where the general architectural style is steep roofed Alpine, with lots of valleys. Lot of the units there were originally covered with metal, but they are being replaced by asphalt. Being a curious sort, I buttonholed the contractor applying ****ty looking asphalt shingles. Seems with their extreme snow loads, the snow builds up in the valleys, till the weight forces it down and rips the dickens out of the metal. Snow load there is 130 lbs. per sq. ft. Asphalt apparently stands up better. Took a couple of pics of damaged valleys, but they're buried deep right now.

Grizz
Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 AM

Always wanted to build using old school galvanized steel. I think its a heavier gauge than the new stuff. Lasts a minimum of 75 warrantied years. Snow slides right off, and it's paintable. It could always be a fresh color, as long as I'm willing to scramble up there with a little tremclad enamel.

I think a person gets used to the noise, if it rains or hails, a lot of people like it. With good insulation it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl649 View Post
I just re roofed our house and a large shed. Both got asphalt shingles. Looked at all the options but kept coming back to asphalt. Just don't buy cheap asphalt.
Me too,and did the next door guys as well.30 year asphalt shingles.Buy the good ones.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
I agree with the rubber roof, it cost more but the variety of styles and colors rivals that of asphalt shingles, plus it lasts a long, long time.
Perhaps....bear in mind that rubber roofs have been around less than 10 years, so it is difficult to be sure just how they do at 20, 30, etc.

Quote:
Metal roofs are good to from what I hear but I had one when I was a kid and all I remember was the noise it made in heavy rain and hail, could have better insulation for the sound now that was 25 years ago.
Almet makes an incredible product....lifetime warranty, very quiet, 100% fireproof, and hailproof up to 2" hail.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Me too,and did the next door guys as well.30 year asphalt shingles.Buy the good ones.
Go with Malarkey Legacy asphalt shingles....rubberised, impact-resistant, class-A fire rating, 50 year warranty....hard to beat.