Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 AM

Default Help - looking for your opinion on Stop Leak Products for Truck

Hey Guys,

I could really use some outside opinions on using Lucas Oil Stop Steering Fluid Leak product.

My 2010 Dodge Ram (80k kms) started leaking steering fluid from the rack and pinion, its not covered under warranty and the Chrysler Shop wants 1600$ to replace the complete rack and pinion set, just because one seal leaks!

I did some research and there are a lot of happy campers on the web who have used a stop leak product - it makes the seals swell up and stops the elak, some claim even permanently.

I mentioned it to the Dodge Shop Service guy and he said I would "destroy" the power steering with a stop leak product - but of course he rather replaces a bunch of expensive parts.

QUESTION: does anyone have experience or an opinion on the above? can using a product like that create even more damage? or is it worth spending 12 bucks on a bottle and give it a try???

Any comments appreciated!

cheers
chris
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 AM

We have used the coolant stop leak stuff on a fleet of school busses with great results. I haven't used the ps fluid stuff though
Old 08-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Banned

there are places that can replace the seals in a rack and pinion. its far cheaper if you can find a shop that will do it. fix in a bottle is a waste of money. yeah your rp leaks now so what can it harm?......well there is a pump in there too. maybe price check it before you think its only a 12 dollar gamble. your cheapest option is to get on the phone and find someone that will replace the leaking seal.

Last edited by ishootbambi; 08-14-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Banned

Cool

i put it in an 98 gmc 340 k km . miracle cure. power steering pump, 150 km later leak stopped worked fine ever since. now it needs a head gasket, oh well.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 AM

Somewhat related: In high school I had a 1961 GMC fleetside pickup with a 350 and a 4 speed Saginaw, I thought winterizing it would be the smart thing to do starting with a flush & fill on the cooling system. I knew my buddy that I bought the truck from had not done this previously as I was his mechanical advisor. Going through Dads stuff in the garage I remembered a can of boiler cleaner I had seen, and figured it would do just as well if not better than the automotive type cooling system flush. It did quite well, even removing some block sealer that had been hiding a crack in the #8 cylinder wall. Motor oil sure looks like frothy melted mocha ice cream when it's whipped with fresh Prestone.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Mechanic in a Can, is at best a short term solution. You already have an issue that needs to be addressed, it might work and it might not. Use it if you have to but be prepared to eventually break down and get the repair done properly.

BW
Old 08-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Mechanic in a Can....
BW

Not as demeaning as 1-Second Plumber
Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 PM

approaching 30 years of Millwrighting, were exposure to hydraulics has been steady, I can look back and say that a swollen seal, is a bad seal. Leaking seals can indicate trauma to the seal, or supportive structure wear, such as a bearing/shaft arrangement.

In my view, such additives are short term, where you plan on a exchange/overhaul in the near term.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 PM

At 80k km's that should still be under warranty unless you bought the truck second hand.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
At 80k km's that should still be under warranty unless you bought the truck second hand.
2010's are usually released in 09, steering components fall under 3/60 warranty. It's possible he's over in both regards depending on date of purchase.

x2 on the rebuild shop; there are some out there that rebuild components and it's well worth looking at. My experience is that there are those who can successfully rebuild and those that shouldn't be trusted trying to replace batteries in a flashlight.

You are also well within your rights to look at aftermarket shops and reman units from places like NAPA and their kind. You may find a better price. My caution is, get a guaruntee on the part and labour of rebuilding. I had three power steering pumps fail in a row on a van from NAPA and the customer paid labour all three times before we got a properly rebuilt one. We went after napa for the second and third labour time on behalf of the customer.

Stop leak products only hide the problem, fix it right or it'll likely come back to bite you.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned

Are you sure it's leaking from a seal and not a hose somewhere? Can you pressure wash it clean and verify where it's coming from?

Is there alot of fluid leaking?