Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Default Bowie Knife vs Leatherman for Hiking?

Should be a fun discussion lol.

I've had a Leatherman glued to my hip for about 8 years now. Use it constantly and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I do have an eye for the classics though and now that I'm taking up hiking again I've sorta got my eye on this Bowie knife from Winchester:
http://www.basspro.com/Winchester-Bo.../102917/100364

On the one hand my leatherman is a great all-around knife for fixing stuff, opening stuff, and in a pinch it's better than nothing for personal defense (external blade). I'll continue to take it quadding for its many uses.

Bowie knife is huge and intimidating. Probably keep the unsavory types at bay just by them seeing it on me. Makes a better backup to the bear spray than the leatherman does (yeah go ahead and laugh ). Could use it for hacking branches and stuff. And there aren't many philips head screws in the woods anyway.

Opinions?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
Bowie knife is huge and intimidating.
Who or what are you trying to intimidate?

I've NEVER come across anyone who threatened me while hiking, fishing or hunting (and for the latter, you have a gun). We really are taking this personal defence concept way too far. Scary to go out of the house these days without the short-barreled 12 gauge and a good big knife... LOL
Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM

depends. If you take a lot of gear hiking, like cooking items, filtration equipment, tents, or other equipment, then the leatherman would be the better choice because it can be used to fix just about anything that could break.

If you are a bare bones hiker and don't take much equipment, then the bowie knife would be best.

The one thing I hate about leatherman's is that you can't really get much leverage out of them to torque or pry anything. the handles are just too small. Granted they aren't designed for this so you can't really be too hard on them.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM

I'm with Oko on this one.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM

Lol well I realize I probably will never need to defend myself in the woods but it only takes once.

In response to PGH, I'm going for ultralight hiking so very few devices to fix. And even if I do need a screwdriver I've still got my trusty Leatherman Micra on my keychain (I like my toys).
Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM

At some point I'll probably get a neck lanyard so that I can have my LeatherMan Charge Ti on me when I'm in the shower, but for the meantime that's about the only time I'm without it, aside from infrequent formal dress occasions. The LeatherMan is obviously the more versatile of the two, but I'd choose something like a Kukri style machete over a Bowie knife anyways, because they'll be better at slashing vegetation which will be it's real-life main function, rather than defeating marauding wolverines, cougar and grizz (even noting that unlikely function, I'd prefer one for that purpose as well!)

I do prefer a good skinner blade profile, too bad LeatherMan hasn't incorporated something like that into a multitool yet.

This is my hunting knife these days (image culled from Google), a Buck ErgoHunter Pro

Old 08-14-2012, 03:47 PM

A leatherman and a good fixed blade compliment each other nicely

Not sure I'd worry about the intimidation factor too much

On another note.....a machete works well for hackin' up wood and zombies
Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM

I prefer leathermans, very high quality.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM
sheephunter

I'm guessing the need to tighten a screw or nut will come along long before needing to defend myself so I choose Leatherman.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Leatherman,
x2 what SH said...
Old 08-14-2012, 03:53 PM

No question a Leatherman is much handier. Bowie knives are pretty useless for 99% of chores, big heavy and silly.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 PM

I find that my well-seasoned musky man-odor is enough to frighten off any top-tier wild carnivores, and bipedal cougar as well!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Good points all around. However if you were gathering firewood, which would you rather have?

I'm tempted to just bring both now which would defeat the idea of ultralight hiking
Old 08-14-2012, 03:59 PM

chinese hunk of recycled re-bar vs. american made steel, not much of a choice
Old 08-14-2012, 04:11 PM

This is my knife:

It goes in my quad box, I can't imagine wearing it. I think I would feel silly.

I wear my leatherman in the bush with a small sharp, fixed blade knife on my belt beside it. Small knives are so much more useful than a big knife.

Plus, how intimidating am I with two knives?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 PM

Bring both.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vW54lAtldI

Get one like Micks .
Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

I've got a blackjack model 1-7, it's somewhat similar to a k-bar fighting knife in size, it makes a great camp knife. I've also got a blackjack model 15 which is what they call a pilot survival knife, I think it would make for a good hiking type knife, probably better than the model 1-7. I also have 3 different leatherman tools, the original, the fisherman one and the TTI. In an outdoor/hiking situation if I could only bring one it would be the blackjack model 15.

Blackjack model 1-7

Blackjack model 15

It's hard to tell in the picture but the model 15 is 10-1/2" long and has saw teeth on the back of the blade. The model 1-7 is a bit longer at 12".
Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM

Grasshopper: One must always be prepared for cutlery one-upmanship in case of an encounter with Paul Hogan.

Edit: yarrgh, Homesteader beat me to the pop-culture punch!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Good points all around. However if you were gathering firewood, which would you rather have?
I'd rather hav a USEFUL knife and a compact folding saw that weighs 4 or 5 ounces. I always have both on me when out in the woods for any length of time. I've used the saw more than once to cut up firewood, or bone.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM
sheephunter

Quote:

I'm tempted to just bring both now which would defeat the idea of ultralight hiking
You might be able to slice the odd branch off a green sapling with a Bowie but I don't see it taking the place of a chainsaw...or even a dull axe for that matter.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM

I have a few other Leatherman tools, one of which is their Surge Model. It's a big heavy unit, but I liked the saw/file attachment system which uses a Bosch t-shank jigsaw style holder. What's neat is that the diamond file is now detachable and can be used to sharpen the blades on the tool itself (drawback is that it can also now be lost); this attachment system also allows for using any t-shank jigsaw blades, which can be purchased in longer lengths than could be folded into the tool and stored either in the sheath or elsewhere. The thing is a boat anchor next to a Charge TTi though. The replaceable wire cutter blades are a nice touch.

Damn, I went to Leathermans website for a reference and there's a tempting new model out; participating in this thread might be expensive!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:52 PM

MY choice is neither. Get a Mora knife with a scandi grind. Available cheaply at lee valley, MEC, campers village, online, etc. You can get em for 10-50 bucks and there virtually indestructable. From whittling a makeshift spoon to cutting kindling a Mora will do it. Best steel around IMHO.

Can't beat a mora.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'd rather hav a USEFUL knife and a compact folding saw that weighs 4 or 5 ounces. I always have both on me when out in the woods for any length of time. I've used the saw more than once to cut up firewood, or bone.
I gave my folding saw away about 15 yrs ago when I found the Pocket Chainsaw:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ea9...FeVnQgodPmEAPA

If you've never used one of these, you need to. I can cut through a 3" branch easily in under 10 seconds, requires minimal effort for cutting. They are amazing. They come in a can about the size of a Copenhagen can. I carry one with me in my hunting pack, another in my quad box, always. I gave a couple to my hunting buddies for helping me do some work on my quad, and now about 6 other guys are carrying them too (after a demonstration at the shop)...Leatherman super or Wave on my belt at all times. Also a Sog Seal Pup when hunting, just because I can.

http://sogknives.com/store/M37.html

Covers all the bases nicely.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 08-14-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:20 PM

Your belt goes 360 degrees, right? Bring both!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Banned

Legal or not, I always had a nicely balanced double edge boot knife on my person whether in the woods or not. Got pretty good with throwing it too. In the woods, I had a home made bowie knife that my uncle - a blacksmith - made for me.

Don't know what kind of metal he used, but it took a while for him to put a razor edge on it - but it never dulled.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronk View Post
Your belt goes 360 degrees, right? Bring both!
Not sure why you would sacrifice the functionality of the Leatherman to pack a Bowie knife. Leave the Leatherman on your waist, put the Bowie in your pack.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
Not sure why you would sacrifice the functionality of the Leatherman to pack a Bowie knife. Leave the Leatherman on your waist, put the Bowie in your pack.
Was going for weight savings; a few objects the size of the Leatherman will add up. I think I might bring it afterall though. Only I think I'll keep it in my pack and wear the fixed blade in case an animal does attack.

Going to Bass Pro this weekend and I'll check out a few options.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Leatherman
Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Default knives..

bowie knife not the best choice.
go with multitool

if you want a fixed blade - go with a survival knife such
as:

http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-5.htm

(cool survival manual on site http://www.eseeknives.com/SERE.Manual.pdf)

or

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/SAR-Bravo-1.htm

or

http://blackbirdknives.com/