Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Gerber Multi Plier for me, haven't worn a Gerber lock back since they brought them out!
Cat
Old 08-15-2012, 06:01 AM

Leatherman for sure for functionality. For defence against bears and crazed humans I would say bear spray. For intimidation just crook your neck, squint one eye and lurch around while grunting ugauga!!! That would intimidate the heck out of me.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Default knives

Take the leatherman and a fix blade. Do not get the Winchester, or any other new gerber for that matter. A Ka-bar,Eese, Rat,etc will last forever & make the work easier. JUHO
Old 08-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Leatherman for sure over the Chinese bowie.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
Only I think I'll keep it in my pack and wear the fixed blade in case an animal does attack.

seriously?? If an "animal does attack " chances are the you will either drop your knife or stab yourself with it before inflicting any damage on the marauding wild animals
Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
seriously?? If an "animal does attack " chances are the you will either drop your knife or stab yourself with it before inflicting any damage on the marauding wild animals
You know I am aware that I stand little to no chance of ever being attacked, let alone successfully fending off a bear with a knife

That being said, there are some fairly respected experts who think the knife is worth carrying in addition to the bear spray. The matter is certainly up for debate but until God himself tells me the knife won't save me, I'll run with it and atleast use it for utility purposes.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 PM

I'd prefer to take a big knife with me every time.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM

I hate to call you out on it.... but I'd LOVE it if you'd direct me to these experts that say a Bowie knife is a must for bear defence.

Bush knives, like guns, do impart a bit of image projection for alot of outdoors types. I'd encourage you to carry that big knife for as long as you want in the bush...... It'll communicate alot about you, and eventually you'll learn about its usefulness...... which is little to none in my opinion.

Its like when I was young and figured a cast iron pan was an essential backpacking-back country hiking tool. It now resides at the bottom of the valley along the Goat Lake trail in Waterton. I can still hear the 'clank clank' of it careening down the mountain. Experience it an excellent teacher.

'Lions and tigers and bears.. oh my', is a great marketing tool to sell stuff. Having said that Bear spray is your best bet.

Take the advice of the majority here. Leatherman and a small fixed blade or folding blade.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I hate to call you out on it.... but I'd LOVE it if you'd direct me to these experts that say a Bowie knife is a must for bear defence.

Bush knives, like guns, do impart a bit of image projection for alot of outdoors types. I'd encourage you to carry that big knife for as long as you want in the bush...... It'll communicate alot about you, and eventually you'll learn about its usefulness...... which is little to none in my opinion.

Its like when I was young and figured a cast iron pan was an essential backpacking-back country hiking tool. It now resides at the bottom of the valley along the Goat Lake trail in Waterton. I can still hear the 'clank clank' of it careening down the mountain. Experience it an excellent teacher.

'Lions and tigers and bears.. oh my', is a great marketing tool to sell stuff. Having said that Bear spray is your best bet.

Take the advice of the majority here. Leatherman and a small fixed blade or folding blade.
There's a guy named James Gary Shelton in BC who's written a few books on the subject.

And yes, it crossed my mind that he's just vilainizing bears to sell books. Nonetheless he seems to have the respect of some people so I'll give him the benefit of a doubt.

If I ever do encounter a bear the first thing I'm gonna do is calmly walk away and failing that I'll use the bear spray. But if that doesn't work (there's some debate about that) or if the wind is blowing in my face and assuming I have a whole second to make the choice then I might be glad to have a knife with me as well.

Not sure yet if I'll get the Bowie or a smaller tactical knife, I'll check out a few at Bass Pro this weekend.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
That being said, there are some fairly respected experts who think the knife is worth carrying in addition to the bear spray.
Yes, to kill yourself with if the bear spray doesn't work and the bear is leisurely dining on you.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Yes, to kill yourself with if the bear spray doesn't work and the bear is leisurely dining on you.
There's that

I actually came across a sort of account/legend from the old days concerning a trapper who thought he was well protected from bears with a pair of 45 pistols.

Years after said trapper had disappeared, they found a local bear who had died of old age. When examining the bear's skull they found two large calibre bullet holes in the back of his mouth
Old 08-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You might be able to slice the odd branch off a green sapling with a Bowie but I don't see it taking the place of a chainsaw...or even a dull axe for that matter.
Its a lot easier to carry than a chainsaw.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:12 PM

Actually... On second thought.
A running chainsaw would beat all the other bear deterrents hands down!

I'd adobe you pack that I stead of the Bowie knife.

Way more useful too!

And it sure makes a statement.

Never seen a Bowie knife used in a zombie movie...
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-15-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Actually... On second thought.
A running chainsaw would beat all the other bear deterrents hands down!

I'd adobe you pack that I stead of the Bowie knife.
Yeah but then evolution happens...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear.jpg (41.2 KB, 7 views)