Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 PM

Remington Mountain SS in .270 win

Light... handles beautifully... easy on the eyes... deadly accurate
Old 01-19-2017, 09:13 PM

I think I am leaning towards a Tikka T3x in .308 Win. It should get me by for a while. I don't have the funds for anything else right now.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend to pick one up if it is in stock anywhere.

I think I might look into a wildcat composite for my Rem700 as well.

Thanks everyone. I'll post back with what I end up with.

Cheers
Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
For sure. Lw has its advantages. But 8 lbs is still fairly lightweight to me.
I have 2 "Featherweights" that are about 8-1/2lbs, never had an issue packing them, even owned a couple Weatherby Accumarks that didn't seem that bad to pack around at the time, but after packing around a rifle that weighs just over 6lbs scoped for a while you sure appreciate what an accurate ultralight rifle offers.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I think I am leaning towards a Tikka T3x in .308 Win. It should get me by for a while. I don't have the funds for anything else right now.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend to pick one up if it is in stock anywhere.

I think I might look into a wildcat composite for my Rem700 as well.

Thanks everyone. I'll post back with what I end up with.

Cheers

A word of caution for this rifle, check the balance of it. I had one and I think I had a VX3 4.5-14 on it and I couldn't hold it steady freehand if my life depended on it.

Some rifles are really light, but others are really light and well balanced. You'll know when you find one that's balanced.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:55 PM

Love my kimber ..... Deer , yotes and yup (a) wolf in 308 .... Hehe . Ultralight leupold scope. 6 pounds. Only thing I can really match to OP. Have a tikka in 270 and that's about 8.5 with scope and some rounds on stock.

Kimber- Not sure about 5-10 shot groupings , but it groups 3 shots great with my handloads. Only thing about the rifle is the bullet weight ..... Doesn't like 125-165 .... Gotta use 180 s ...... Oh we'll.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:15 PM

I just put together a similar rifle. I choose a Rem 700 mountain in .308. There are several fantastic choices but I chose this because .308 is easy to by reloading components for and a monolithic bullet such as a Hornady GMX or Barnes TTSX will increase the rifles ability to penetrate deeper on larger species such as Elk. I also chose the Rem 700 because of the after market parts. Shooting a light rifle is different , and mods like a lighter trigger really help accuracy. I also glass bedded it ,and it's Bell & Carlson stock has an aluminum bedding block in it like a Sendero stock that gives it more support. Any way, it's really light and shoots very very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 PM

Thanks everyone. I just picked up a Tikka T3x yesterday in .308 Win. I wanted the option of slightly heavier factory bullets weights with the 30 cal as well as slightly cheaper ammunition.
I have a Bushnell Elite 5-15 on it at the moment but will likely get a lighter, more compact scope down the road.
Now I need to get out to a range to find out how it shoots!

Cheers
Old 01-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Good Choice ! .. Have fun
Old 01-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Remington Mountain SS in .270 win

Light... handles beautifully... easy on the eyes... deadly accurate
That describes my 1954 Husqvarna Feather weight in .270 winny
Old 02-05-2017, 09:45 AM

Default 280 rem

I have a win 70 lightweight in 280rem nice to carry and eats anything you put in it with no problems and just shoots everything really nice
Old 02-05-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
^^^
Unreal how lightweight sells these days... apparently no one can carry a 8 lb gun anymore.
Yup. Why not get stronger and quit acting like 16 year old girls that needs a 5 to 6 lb rifle all in? My Grandfather carried a sporterized Springfield 1903 well into his 70's because he was conditioned and never carried a lightweight rifle. I could never keep the crosshairs steady shooting offhand on a lightweight rig. To each their own. " Hold my purse while I line this elk up with my ultralight"

Last edited by 1899b; 02-05-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Yup. Why not get stronger and quit acting like 16 year old girls that needs a 5 to 6 lb rifle all in? My Grandfather carried a sporterized Springfield 1903 well into his 70's because he was conditioned and never carried a lightweight rifle. I could never keep the crosshairs steady shooting offhand on a lightweight rig. To each their own. " Hold my purse while I line this elk up with my ultralight"
I have nerve damage in my neck and can't carry too heavy a rifle anymore, but at the same time if it's too light I can't shoot the ganged thing if the rifle is chambered in anything too big!!
I think my Ruger is about 7..5 and that seems to work well for me.
Anything too light and I have a hard time keeping things still as well!
Cat
Old 02-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have nerve damage in my neck and can't carry too heavy a rifle anymore, but at the same time if it's too light I can't shoot the ganged thing if the rifle is chambered in anything too big!!
Cat
I hear ya Dave. I have two ex wives. Me nerves are shot too!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I hear ya Dave. I have two ex wives. Me nerves are shot too!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
^^^
Unreal how lightweight sells these days... apparently no one can carry a 8 lb gun anymore.
Wait until you hit 50 yrs. old. the less weight you carry the better. It's called work smarter not harder.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Wait until you hit 50 yrs. old. the less weight you carry the better. It's called work smarter not harder.
Or be a real fit 50 year old that can bury 20 and 30 year olds in the gym. But then it's probably easier to just get a lighter gun for most...
Old 02-06-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
So you hav a 270 and a 7-08 .....hmmm....

Well seems you want another gun, I'm gonna say 260 in Tikka T3x or 280 rem in Tikka T3
Does Tikka offer a 280?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Does Tikka offer a 280?
not according to their website. I looked about a month ago.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
not according to their website. I looked about a month ago.
I do not recall a .280 since the t-3 was first produced. I wish they would do 280.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Its a short action Cartridge so you can get it in a lightweight gun.

Here is a Video of a guy anchoring elk with it.

https://youtu.be/IOo6gprtKeA
x2

I had the same dilemma as OP and chose X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmoor. A very beautiful rifle with bronze cerakote finish, 6lbs 5oz, short action, glass bedded. Barrel length is 22" and it comes with a muzzle brake that you can remove if desired. Got it from P & D for $1320 but received $75 back from Browning, so not the cheapest but not too expensive either. I ended up getting Zeiss Conquest HD 5-25 RZ800 on 20 MOA rail on it
Old 02-07-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have the itch for a new lightweight rifle for deer and elk hunting and I am having trouble deciding on a caliber. My current go to gun is a Rem700SPS in 7-08. It is nice and compact as I bought a youth model and then added a Boyds stock. Nice rifle but I would like something lighter. The closer to 6lbs the better and low recoil as well.

I went into Cabela's last weekend and shouldered a Browning x-bolt, Ruger American, Tikka T3 all of which are in the 6-7lbs range. Personally they all felt about the same to shoulder but I was most impressed with the Tikka.

If I get something new I will likely get a Tikka T3 but there is also a nice Sako 85 Finnlight (25-06) for sale here that looks nice.

Calibers I am interested in are:
25-06
260 Remington
280 Remington
7mm-08 (already have one though)
.308 Win

Animals that I have gotten in the past are typically between 200-300 yards (ranged) with some closer. My farthest to date is 330 but I would like something capable of clean 400 yard kills on elk. I think any of the above calibers would be capable of that right?

What caliber would you recommend and why? Any others I am leaving out?

I am leaning toward the 308 at this point due to the lower cost of ammunition and the wide selection of bullets. I also have a 270 in the safe but I always take the 7mm-08 over it.

Thanks
I own a Remington Model 7 in 260 Rem. I love the rifle however I never shoot it anymore as my wife has adopted it. She shoots it very well and has killed several good Whitetail bucks in the last few years as well as taking her moose this year. The only concern I see in your post is that I don't believe the 260 retains enough energy at 400 yards to make a good elk calibre. My wife shot a Whitetail at 416 yards ( ranged with my Leica rangefinder) and I recovered the Barnes XLC in the heart of the deer with minimal expansion. As I have had no issues with the performance of this bullet in the past, I have no other explanation for the failure of the bullet to open. The rifle would certainly tick off almost all of your other wants.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I chose a light rifle for the mountains, when you are carting 70 + pounds up and down and then up again you really start thinking about how to shave weight on the next trip.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
My current findings with offhand shooting stability have more to do with rifle center of balance than lightweight. If it is a normal balanced rifle the weight will be balanced just a couple inches forward of the trigger and end up between your hands. For offhand shooting this lets you tuck your arms tight against yourself for a solid shooting position and then have a nice hold for stability. These heavy barreled tactical style rifles are poorly balanced too far forward, and the arm position is in a sloppy too far forward unsupported position. The same thing usually ends up happening with these super light weight rifles because the sporter barrel stays the same weight and they cut weight by hollowing out the stock or using super light stock materials, and so the balance again moves forward too far. The typical 6.5 to 7.5 pound rifle design is popular because thats the best balance point when typical caliber sporting rifles are made from steel and wood. Start adding barrel thickness or removing weight from the stock and everything goes wrong, unless they lighten both ends to keep balance, but how skinny of a barrel are you willing to go. I know kimber reduces a lot of weight by using titanium hollowed out actions so the middle part of the rifle is very light, but some of the other methods of getting a package light is just cutting the corners if the balance is lost.

Last edited by Nyksta; 02-07-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Banned

Good points
its always easier to shoot a heavier gun with a lighter trigger more accurately.
Really light guns are great to carry but more difficult to shoot accurately imo.

7-8 lb gun and a 3-4 lb trigger is a nice lightweight set up for me.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:18 PM

Default get one of these......

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...hunting-rifle/

probably not available in Canada yet....