Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 PM

Default Is it possible?

I was clearing my trail cameras A little north west of Two Hills. They had been running since about November 30 and I collected them this past Monday. I got home and checked the pictures and had the usual stuff: whitetail and mule deer, a moose, quite a few coyotes, a fox, a few snowshoe hares and one mystery animal. The picture of the mystery animal was taken of his back end. He was very dark, almost black and had a fuzzy tail. Also smaller than any of the foxes and coyotes in the other frames.
My question is: could it be possibly a fisher? Do they dine on rabbits/hares? There are the odd red squirrels in the area and rarely a flying squirrel. I'm a little ancient when it comes to computer, but I will retrieve the photo and eventually post it or send it to any responders to this post.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:41 PM

Default Fisher

We live south of Lac La Biche and where we throw out the kitchen scraps for birds and whatever, we have a fisher come around and seems if its meat they eat or pack it away. Im sure they eat every thing from mice to anything they can catch. It comes around for 2-3 days and is gone for 2 weeks. I take that to mean they travel a lot.
If you tied a bone up in a tree where coyotes cant pack it away and put your camera back, you may get more pictures. Fisher climb very well.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:49 PM

Possible....and by the sounds of it, quite likely. Their main prey is rabbit.

If you want, email me the pic and I would post it for you.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Possible....and by the sounds of it, quite likely. Their main prey is rabbit.

If you want, email me the pic and I would post it for you.
Agree. Quite likely
Old 01-18-2017, 08:55 PM

Default Fisher?

I was cruising through the Internet and came across 2 fellows that were doing a study on fishers. There were a number of fishers transplanted in Elk Island Park. Their study area extended north right up to the North Saskatchewan River from the park. They were saying yes it was a fisher. Apparently a trapper up around Two Hills had caught one in one of his coyote snares and reported it. So they are around. COOL! Eh?

Last edited by NW Tradegunner; 11-29-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:00 PM

They're in the Lloydminster area as well.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:03 PM

I think the only one I've ever seen was at Marie Lake, just west of Cold lake, when we were ice fishing. He came out of the bush and was running zig zag, which apparently is a common trait of theirs.

Nice !
Old 01-18-2017, 09:18 PM

Saw one run across the road just south of highway 28 and north of St.Paul a couple years ago.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:00 PM

I know a guy who caught one near the Edmonton airport .....
Old 01-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Tradegunner View Post
I was clearing my trail cameras A little north west of Two Hills. They had been running since about November 30 and I collected them this past Monday. I got home and checked the pictures and had the usual stuff: whitetail and mule deer, a moose, quite a few coyotes, a fox, a few snowshoe hares and one mystery animal. The picture of the mystery animal was taken of his back end. He was very dark, almost black and had a fuzzy tail. Also smaller than any of the foxes and coyotes in the other frames.

My question is: could it be possibly a fisher? Do they dine on rabbits/hares? There are the odd red squirrels in the area and rarely a flying squirrel. I'm a little ancient when it comes to computer, but I will retrieve the photo and eventually post it or send it to any responders to this post.

Had a few incidental catches in coyote snares in that area over the years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 04:20 PM

My buddy had one roaming around his acreage by glendon. And i seen one 2 months ago up at imperial oil north of cold lake. Theyre around, buddies have been spotting raccoons also
Old 01-21-2017, 09:45 PM

Is this one?

Old 01-24-2017, 11:31 AM

Our family farm is NE of Two Hills and beem seeing fishers around there for probably 6-8 years now. Dad likes feeding them.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Banned

Default Is it possible?

I know a resident trapper that traps around Two Hills. In the last 2 years he has caught two Fischer in coyote snares. F&W let him keep them both to be mounted. My grandfather caught a big Male Racoon once by two hills.
Anything is possible

Old 01-24-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I know a resident trapper that traps around Two Hills. In the last 2 years he has caught two Fischer in coyote snares. F&W let him keep them both to be mounted. My grandfather caught a big Male Racoon once by two hills.
Anything is possible

Ive got numerous trail cam pics of racoons in the marwayne area and seen one hit by a vehicle 1 mile from the Heinsburg store.
Ive seen multiple fishers in the Onion Lake/Fishing Lake area.

Last edited by 7mmremmag; 01-24-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:44 PM

Had one run across the road in front of me south west of Mrynam last spring. No mistaking that big weasel.
A customer of mine had one on trail cam south of Hwy 619 south of town here a couple years ago.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:34 PM

Very possible, we called a fisher in while calling coyotes in the Two Hills area. He high tailed it as soon as we shot a coyote. We were not expecting that.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:12 PM

It certainly is possible. I just caught a Fisher on my trail cam this week in my backyard near Tofield. Interestingly, a coyote travelling along the same path a couple days later must have picked up on the Fisher's scent and started following it and was caught on camera in exactly the same position. Not too many years ago you had to "read" the stories nature wrote by the tracks left in the snow. Now we have trail cams to better illustrate the stories nature writes when we are not there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0045c.jpg (95.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0108a.jpg (92.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 01-31-2017, 10:35 PM

The fishers people are seeing are part of a successful translocation of fishers in 1990.

This is the study paper regarding the fishers guys are getting on cams in central Alberta. Good education to know about our wildlife.

Use your browser to look up :

"Distribution of Fishers central AB 2014.pdf - ResearchGate" and download the PDF page.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 01-31-2017 at 10:48 PM.