Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2017, 08:07 PM

Default Battle Lake fishing

Hey there,

I browsed through the forums a bit and couldn't seem to find much on battle lake. Has anyone gone there and targeted whites or perch this year?

Would it be worth it or should I just stick to Gull and Sylvan for that?

I've been trying to explore as much as I can this year so trying to find them is fine with me, its just a matter of if they're in there with numbers enough worth while.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 PM

Battle lake whites and perch are very elusive. The whites are big so I'm sure they are filling up on minnows. They don't take wireworms or small typical whitefish hooks very good. The perch are even harder to find.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-21-2017, 09:20 PM

There's big ones in that lake, I've witnessed a few first hand.
Very hard to find and catch as the lake has very steep edges and drops off fast.
If you spent a lot of time on that lake you prob would be rewarded with a trophy white. I've yet to get one,but found this floating monster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4862.jpg (17.8 KB, 481 views)
Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 PM

Perch I doubt even exist there.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:48 PM

Ah thanks guys. I might still try to hunt around for those whites. Would be pretty neat to find a big ol fatty like the one in that photo.
On another note, why is it that the lakes that have higher take limits on these different species like perch and whites are always the ones with such elusive\smaller populations of said fish?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:25 PM

Be very careful. Battle has lots of springs, and not just near shore.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 AM

Default How's the action?

Hey dillzk, how's the action at battle lake? Thinking of going this weekend seeing the weather is going to be superb!

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Old news, but could that anything to do with the elusive fish?

https://www.google.ca/amp/edmontonjo...?client=safari
Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha10oz View Post
Some nice walleye in the pictures. Maybe someone should try to catch walleye on Battle Lake.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha10oz View Post
Quite a story. As long as they have been caught and stopped, populations will recover. The fines outweigh the money for fish so that part of it is good. If anyone is still seeing nets in Battle, might be worth bringing it to F&W attention so they can investigate.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Some nice walleye in the pictures. Maybe someone should try to catch walleye on Battle Lake.
Oh there are nice ones forsure. I fish it quite regularly during open water and my PB walleye @8lbs actually comes from Battle.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Plenty of walleye in Battle......nice sized walleyes and some who look like they swallowed footballs .... great walleye lake.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 PM

Great walleye but only one public boat access to the lake and not much room for parking boat trailers so I hope everyone doesn't show up at once.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 PM

Battle Lake walleye fishery has been on a steady decline, not only numbers but overall size. It's a small lake and it's been netted to death, and continues to be netted.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Great walleye but only one public boat access to the lake and not much room for parking boat trailers so I hope everyone doesn't show up at once.
Speed limit keeps quite a few people away...
Old 02-07-2017, 10:02 PM

Yep seen the Nets myself from shore to shore at the second little access to the north of the campground by the nice pencil reed patch. It was a while ago and think and hope it was the bunch that got the charges. Before that I had a spot literally swarming with monster whites. Even watched them spawn on my camera. Of course didn't catch many but if was fascinating and worth the drive anyway. 10 years ago roughly.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:20 PM

Two years ago I saw a net set up on Battle Lake and watched the area as I fished... some guys finally started showing up and pulling the Nets so I called Fish and Wildlife and let them know what was happening. They were out within an hour while the group was still there and I could see a good conversation going on. After some time the group finished up with their Nets packed up their fish and left. Shortly after I got a call from the CO explaining they were Natives and they were legally fishing with Nets. We were out again last weekend and the Chainsaw cut out blocks of ice which are the Tell-Tale signs of nets were there again ... on a fishing note we caught a couple small eyes and plenty of pike none of which were legal