Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-21-2017, 09:42 PM

Default 31"+ draw length

Anyone out there with a 31" or more draw length? What are you shooting? I am thinking of going with the PSE BRUTE FORCE LITE.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:13 PM

I'm 31" and shoot an APA Viper. Nice bow, works for me. Shot a PSE "The Beast" for ages before that but wanted something with a shorter axle to axle size. The PSE was in the 40" range and the Viper is around 31".
Old 01-22-2017, 07:43 AM

Bowtech Boss, CPXL for older.

Has anyone heard from LOST lately? Havent seen any posts from him. Hope all is well. Sorry for mini hijack.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:53 AM

The last couple of treads that LOST was involved in turned ugly with a couple of a-hole keyboard warriors. I imagine he said it wasn't worth the trouble and decided to refrain from giving free and valuable advice.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 AM

There are lots of models out there that hit 31.... APA are great bow easy tune or change strings or anything

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
The last couple of treads that LOST was involved in turned ugly with a couple of a-hole keyboard warriors. I imagine he said it wasn't worth the trouble and decided to refrain from giving free and valuable advice.

Lost is a unique breed man, very respectable guy with stick and string knowledge. Shame on the wing nuts that ruined his always entertaining and more so valuable input.

Lord of the Biscuit I call him. Again sorry for derail.

Brother has a 32" draw length and shoots PSE x force, he loves it.
I shoot a bowtech 82nd airborne with some cams I got from Ontario for it, bought at Backcountry sports in 07-08 somewhere. He hates mine and I hate his.
I wouldnt trade it for anything, well maybe for a weekend with Rihanna and a honeymoon suite.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:12 PM

Default Apa

I do like the APA. Unfortunately the budget is tight. I had bought a Bear Cruzer because the store I had bought it from said they could set it for 31", which you can except for the fact the cable pin on the cam passes the cable and smacks the cable when you release, causing an ugly vibration and inaccurate shooting. I was lucky enough to find someone who was willing to give me a good price for it so I sold it and I am trying to get the money together for a bow that fits.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:40 PM

Price max?
Old 01-22-2017, 12:51 PM

Exclamation Budget

The budget was $500, but I realized that was unrealistic for a decent 31" draw bow. I am trying to keep it under $700
Old 01-22-2017, 05:15 PM

Default Bow length

Shouldn't you just use a club knuckle dragger. That's what I was told. Most triggers are adjustable shorten your draw length give u.more options. My 2 cents
Old 01-22-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingaddict View Post
Shouldn't you just use a club knuckle dragger. That's what I was told. Most triggers are adjustable shorten your draw length give u.more options. My 2 cents
This topic comes up on Archery Talk quite often and the guru's advise against using a release to compensate for an improper draw length. They explain the rational behind this as:

1. The draw length of the bow must be correct to have proper form on your support arm and proper reference points for the string (corner of the mouth/ tip of the nose). If you are too short on the DL then your support arm will be using muscle as opposed to bones. If you are too long then you will be over extending and torquing your grip. Both too short and too long will also cause improper head position.

2. Your release and d-loop length then properly places your hand into your anchor, but that combined length (d-loop and release) must begin from a proper draw length.

My suggestion is too wait for a CPXL to come up used and believe me I have never been a big Bowtech supporter. But, every time a long draw thread comes up on Archery talk, the CPXL seems to be the favorite. Bowtech does have a bad rep for limb problems but you can get Barnsdale limbs for the CPXL if you every run into a problem with the stock ones. Sign up for Archery Talk and watch the classified and don't be scared to buy from the US.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 PM

I would look at bows with at least a 34 axle to axle measurement if you are going 31 inches or more on draw length. First off I don't like short bows for long drawlength shooters. If you have your heart set on it though, go try and shoot some of the 30-32 inch bows and make sure that A) the string will touch your nose when you are properly locked in at full draw and B) the peep sight does not look too far away from your eye.

My experience has been that a 34+ inch bow tends address these issues. You are not going to see an appreciable difference in weight or manuverabilty in 4" of bow length.

If $$$ are tight look for a deal on a used bow. I just let an older APA go for 350 bucks without a thing wrong with it.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 PM

Default Find a Matthews Switchback LD(long draw)

If you can find one that someone is willing to part with you will have mission accomplished. I saw one on the archery buy and sell section go for around 400.00.
I love my left handed one set at 31.5"
Old 02-06-2017, 02:29 PM

APA. I have two buddies that are both 31" and over and they love their APA bows.