Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2017, 09:02 PM

Default What happens to oilfield testing when weed is legal

Had a pre-access test a few weeks ago and asked the fellow what is going to happen when/if pot becomes legal. He said it wouldn't be an issue because as long as the company has a no pot policy in their HSE manual it wouldn't be allowed regardless of the legality or when it was smoked. If you test positive you are unfit for work and fired or offered rehab.
I don't smoke (anymore) but I've worked with potheads and drunks and know which I prefer.
No sense arguing with the pee catcher but after reflection, I work in a highly regulated environment (industrial radiography), I need a criminal record check to apply for entry level certification and industry has consistent drug testing. I have worked alongside guys who are on prescribed methadone for opiate addiction, and have seen them fall asleep during their work shift while working. I don't know if that was because of the methadone or they "slipped" on their days off.
But how do they pass a test while on methadone and drive to/from work (plus be the judgement on weld integrity) when the helper fails for smoking a joint two weeks ago on his days off?
I'm not saying the guys trying to recover shouldn't be offered a chance but how are workplace rules going to integrate legal recreational use of pot (actually how are guys with medical permits doing in the workforce?)

Anybody have answers or personal knowledge?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 PM

If you work for CN Rail in a safety sensitive position it doesn't matter if it is prescribed medicine or even cough syrup, if you test positive on the job you are fired. It is up to the employee to book off on medical leave if certain drugs are required for treatment.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger257 View Post
If you work for CN Rail in a safety sensitive position it doesn't matter if it is prescribed medicine or even cough syrup, if you test positive on the job you are fired. It is up to the employee to book off on medical leave if certain drugs are required for treatment.
Yup , won't matter if it is made legal or not .
A positive test is just that, be it booze or a legal drug
Cat
Old 01-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Marijuana is an interesting substance in that regard. You can smoke a "joint" and test positive 3 weeks later. I bet that a good lawyer would love to take on a case like that. Cocaine is out of ones system in about 3 days though...
Old 01-21-2017, 09:47 PM

My understanding is; if it comes up in a test even if you did it 3 weeks ago it is in your system. If it's in your system you are technically impaired by it. It won't matter if it's legal or not. Booze is legal and you can't come to work drunk.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Marijuana is an interesting substance in that regard. You can smoke a "joint" and test positive 3 weeks later. I bet that a good lawyer would love to take on a case like that. Cocaine is out of ones system in about 3 days though...
It all depends on the type of tests and the threshold level of the panel screens
Cat
Old 01-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Banned

They can do testing that can tell if you're impaired just like alcohol
Old 01-21-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It all depends on the type of tests and the threshold level of the panel screens
Cat
I tested in Slave Lake a year ago. The girl said they can now detect cocaine six months after use. FYI chewing gum tests positive for alcohol 2 hours after spitting it out.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
My understanding is; if it comes up in a test even if you did it 3 weeks ago it is in your system. If it's in your system you are technically impaired by it. It won't matter if it's legal or not. Booze is legal and you can't come to work drunk.
A positive test can't be interpreted as a sign of current impairment when it comes to cannabis. THC and cannabinoids bind to ones fat, lipids if you will. So if you are a man of girth, you'll test positive for a longer period of time after consuming cannabis than a skinny spit .... like myself would. I passed a test with my own urine 2.5 weeks after consuming marijuana. Alcohol is usually tested through a breathalyzer type of a device. Now if cannabis was tested for through the means of a saliva test, it would be a different story.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 PM

The place i am at swabs for safety sensitive and thats about it. Makes it so pot doesnt show up unless it was within the day or so i believe. i think the policy for pot will be changed to allow for more margin of error, more tolerance just the same as booze where the 0.04 applies which is techinically a few beer then cruising into work after dinner.

Generally dont want to lose employees that take 3-6 years to train over stuff they do in their time off. I work for a pretty over zealous employer when it comes to safety too, they do alot of research on statistics within the corporation world wide and find the drug thing to be not a big issue it seems.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:29 PM

Maybe they will finally weed the garden?
More Filipino's working in oil, less in McDonalds?
I worked service years ago, have family that works service rigs now, it is a huge problem that seems to be worsening. New rules might be a good thing.
Drunk stoned coked out rig hands on the floor or in the truck on the way home is hardly never a good thing.
More stringent rules that are actually followed would be great.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I worked service years ago, have family that works service rigs now, it is a huge problem that seems to be worsening. New rules might be a good thing.
Drunk stoned coked out rig hands on the floor or in the truck on the way home is hardly never a good thing.
Come on Ken, there is no need to compare marijuana to cocaine. Even though you'd like to vilify the user of any substance that you disapprove of.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Come on Ken, there is no need to compare marijuana to cocaine. Even though you'd like to vilify the user of any substance that you disapprove of.
It's difficult to approve of any illegal narcotic.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Drugs and alcohol are a big issue , in industry and in everyday life , whether they are legal or not , I think that is what he was trying to get across .

I doubt very much if the panel thresholds will be lowered if and when it is legalized
Cat
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 PM

The swab test is becoming more popular. As stated it will only show positive for recent use.
If someone has a medical card you will not be able to operate heavy equipment or drive as it will be considered impaired operation. Same as any prescribed medication that states not to operate equipment or drive. It is up to the employee to inform the employer if you have this type of prescription. If you don't and there is any type of incident where they do a drug test and you fail without having informed your employer you could be fired
Old 01-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's difficult to approve of any illegal narcotic.
Most companies regard medical marijuana the same way as they would the "illegal dope". No use on site and possible negative repercussions if you test positive. That's no different than punishing an individual for using prescription opiates in the same way as a company would if that person were found shooting up with heroin or smoking opium on the job.
I hope that most workplaces will adopt a more immediate means of testing for intoxication with cannabis, as in a saliva test versus a urine sample.
I don't want for anyone to think that I'm advocating for irresponsible cannabis use. I've seen the damage which a "high" individual can cause to a parking lot while operating a front end loader during snow removal operations. By the way, at that time, I was sober and in a skid steer
Old 01-21-2017, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
Had a pre-access test a few weeks ago and asked the fellow what is going to happen when/if pot becomes legal. He said it wouldn't be an issue because as long as the company has a no pot policy in their HSE manual it wouldn't be allowed regardless of the legality or when it was smoked. If you test positive you are unfit for work and fired or offered rehab.
I don't smoke (anymore) but I've worked with potheads and drunks and know which I prefer.
No sense arguing with the pee catcher but after reflection, I work in a highly regulated environment (industrial radiography), I need a criminal record check to apply for entry level certification and industry has consistent drug testing. I have worked alongside guys who are on prescribed methadone for opiate addiction, and have seen them fall asleep during their work shift while working. I don't know if that was because of the methadone or they "slipped" on their days off.
But how do they pass a test while on methadone and drive to/from work (plus be the judgement on weld integrity) when the helper fails for smoking a joint two weeks ago on his days off?
I'm not saying the guys trying to recover shouldn't be offered a chance but how are workplace rules going to integrate legal recreational use of pot (actually how are guys with medical permits doing in the workforce?)

Anybody have answers or personal knowledge?

Thanks
I do not believe it will ever be legalized. It was just an election gimmick.
Just for the principle you have brought up can you imagine a testing crew so bored they smoke up legally ?
There has been lots of cocaine on the rigs in the past and in downtown Cowtown in the oil industry which has been very sad. Watched a farm neighbor of mine go through the rehab. Mud man.
Some form of drug testing frequently will weed out the ones fast. No use endangering someone's life. Too many hazards closely associated with decisions in the field.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
I do not believe it will ever be legalized. It was just an election gimmick.
Just for the principle you have brought up can you imagine a testing crew so bored they smoke up legally ?
There has been lots of cocaine on the rigs in the past and in downtown Cowtown in the oil industry which has been very sad. Watched a farm neighbor of mine go through the rehab. Mud man.
Some form of drug testing frequently will weed out the ones fast. No use endangering someone's life. Too many hazards closely associated with decisions in the field.
Read the previous posts
Even if it is legalized it will never be legal to be under the influence in industry .
Cat
Old 01-22-2017, 06:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You adhere to employers rules, regs, policies and procedures or you are terminated...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yup , won't matter if it is made legal or not .
A positive test is just that, be it booze or a legal drug
Cat
What about medical purposes, im surprised this one has not been challenged yet, we talk about this one at work often wondering when it will be. Now remember that booze is legal and you can not be under the influence at work which obviously makes sence, but the medical use of pot will be an issue, someday someone will scream discrimination because they need pot for a disability so they can work, its coming fer sure.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Banned

A neighbor administers drug and alcohol tests. He some people are buying what they call Quick Fix synthetic urine in order to pass screening.

Good Lord what next
Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 AM

It is very common in my trade to have to do a D and A test prehire. I would think if you test positive for anything there won't be a job.

They can also demand a test if there is an incident at work or if they have cause to believe you are impaired. I believe that trace amounts would be tolerated if you have a prescription.

I would think that if there was no prescription involved, you might get counselling.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
What about medical purposes, im surprised this one has not been challenged yet, we talk about this one at work often wondering when it will be. Now remember that booze is legal and you can not be under the influence at work which obviously makes sence, but the medical use of pot will be an issue, someday someone will scream discrimination because they need pot for a disability so they can work, its coming fer sure.
It will not matter, if one of my Hands is on a prescription drug that impairs him he is required to stay at home until he's off it.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:24 AM
Banned

Default Alert for Drug Tests

Just thought I would mention.

If you ever go to Peru and end up going to see Machu Picchu going through Cuzco you will most likely chew on some leaves the locals use for altitude sickness. The city of Cuzco is at 3100 meters.

These leaves were used by the Spanish to get more worker productivity and your lip becomes numb when chewed for a while. It does help altitude weakness.

Never go for a drug test for at least a few months after either drinking the tea or chewing the leaf. This leaf is used in the manufacture of heroin.

Otherwise they will think your a heroin addict.

False results for something so innocent.

I know someone who had a lot of explaining to do but with the correct backup she was understood as being ok. Insurance companies.

Be careful so you do not get misunderstood.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Gadds ! If they cannot understand the difference between a "Double/Double"and a "Double Cup" there will be dead Filipinos decorating the floor at service rigs daily,,,
Oh well , there lots more where they came from,,,
Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
It will not matter, if one of my Hands is on a prescription drug that impairs him he is required to stay at home until he's off it.
Im just interested when it will be challenged, i understand the impairment
Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 AM

My company's drug policy requires us to get approval for cold, flu and allergy medicine as well as ibuprofen. My previous employment had the same policy.

All that legalization will do is make it more likely for employees who work for companies that have drug policies to be dismissed. Not sure why an employee would want to risk employment just to get high.

As a matter of fact, not sure why people would vote for someone just so they can get high (medicinal weed is already legal). Must be a pretty easy life if that is all that matters to them.

And for the record, I am for legalization.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Im just interested when it will be challenged, i understand the impairment
It has been challenged in court
Whether or not s person has a certificate makes no difference in the A&D testing requirements
Cat
Old 01-22-2017, 12:06 PM

I work contract at a potash mine, and the owners stated at a group meeting that they do not give a #%€@ about legality..you get caught you are gone, period.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat336 View Post
I tested in Slave Lake a year ago. The girl said they can now detect cocaine six months after use. FYI chewing gum tests positive for alcohol 2 hours after spitting it out.
Nope she's wrong