Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2016, 11:25 AM

Default 25/06

Funny story from years back at Russell's. There were these regulars you'd see in there all the time, fella and his adult son would come in and bug the fellas at the counter about different rigs to bag about their "long range" ability.

The fellas this day were half arguing cause one of the guys behind the counter was passively questioning how they knew the distance to the deer they just shot at 700yds (it's always 700...). The old guy then says it doesn't matter because he was using a 25-06 round and they're laser flat. The counter guy says he thought the guy only uses 30-06 rifles cause they're the best. The guys says sure thing it's best because you can use 25-06 in it when he's shooting deer on the prairies. Bada boom.

I saw this same fella behind the counter at WW this week. Classic.

Its so laser flat that at 700 yards he didnt even have to hold over. Plus shooting it out of the 30/06 allows you to use them thar new fangled heat seeking rounds by nosler called the accutips, pricey but man they are worth. Super deep penetration and exteme expansion. They work so well the game animals shart themselves making gutting them a breeze!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:36 PM

Last year, an older gentleman brought his rifle to me to get it bore-sighted. It was on a Sunday in late November. He was in a hurry as his brother had just seen a herd of elk with two huge bulls on his land up about Whitecourt. And he needed to get their fast as he is the only one that hunts/owns a rifle.
After I was done bore sighting, I offered to walk him out but he insisted on putting on his trigger lock on the rifle before he forgets.

10 minutes after walking him out, one of the cashier comes up to me with a set of keys which the customer dropped on his way out. I immediately ran to the parking lot but he was long gone. I kept the keys by the lost/found shelf with a note but he never came back for them.

Since that day, my biggest fear is running into him again.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 AM

At Phoenix Gunrange in Edmonton, I wanted to look at a 10/22, and the old fart literally wouldn't show it to me. I was looking to seriously buy a new rifle, and he just said "You don't want that one."

I'm sorry, but I'll make my own opinion about whether I want it or not.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebhunts View Post
At Phoenix Gunrange in Edmonton, I wanted to look at a 10/22, and the old fart literally wouldn't show it to me. I was looking to seriously buy a new rifle, and he just said "You don't want that one."

I hate salesman like that!

Bass Pro d**kweed, I asked to look at Bushnell scope with 50mm objective, he said the same thing, 'you don't need that' "How about this 2-7x32"

I was shooting a .300 Win mag a the time.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:29 AM

Default Customer is Always Right

The customer is always right. I have the free will to make what ever dumb arse decision I want!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebhunts View Post

THis must be the norm in gun sales customer service now a days, I am currently picking parts to build a custom rifle and I have been researching gunsmiths to use, I thought I had selected a good one after responses here. I sent him an email stating what I wanted, when I would give payment and when I expected delivery. This clown responds with you don't want that, you want "X" calibre in different stock and different optics that I had requested... I shook me head and decided my $5000 will be better spent elsewhere.

When I'm paying, I get what I want
Old 11-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Banned

The above stories that you guys have related is pure and simple poor salesmanship and doesn't make for good customer relations. When a guy brings me and SKS or a Mossin Nagant to be dropped into a tacticool stock, I keep my mouth shut and take the order as "they" want it. When asked for an opinion, I simply reply that it isn't "my" cup of tea, but if it makes you happy, then I'm happy to build it for you. I will give my opinion when asked for but I certainly don't try to make a customer feel like a dork for his/her choices.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
The above stories that you guys have related is pure and simple poor salesmanship and doesn't make for good customer relations. When a guy brings me and SKS or a Mossin Nagant to be dropped into a tacticool stock, I keep my mouth shut and take the order as "they" want it. When asked for an opinion, I simply reply that it isn't "my" cup of tea, but if it makes you happy, then I'm happy to build it for you. I will give my opinion when asked for but I certainly don't try to make a customer feel like a dork for his/her choices.
After 30 years in sales I have learned that the customer is 'always right', if he thinks he is.
If on the other hand he asks for my opinion...or is unsure of what he needs, I'll gladly help him out.
But it most definitely isn't my job to make him feel like a dork...or that his opinion is stupid.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
I hate salesman like that!

Bass Pro d**kweed, I asked to look at Bushnell scope with 50mm objective, he said the same thing, 'you don't need that' "How about this 2-7x32"

I was shooting a .300 Win mag a the time.
Yeah, at WSS I wanted to look at a fixed 4x scope, the staff pretty much treated me as if I was mentally challenged and kept trying to show me scopes in the same price range which were variable. I already have plenty of variable power scopes, and I wanted to try a fixed 4.

Not that its at all relevant to the post, I have a 2-7x32 scope on a .270 and I really like it.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-29-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:52 PM

Was at WSS Calgary and I heard a little voice saying "daddy thats a big ******'in moose daddy, daddy thats a big ******'in moose" over and over and won't stop saying it. I started laughing and had to walk over a couple of aisles...there was a young embarrassed father with his 2 or 3 year old daughter who obviously mimicked what he said when he saw one of the store mounts....then I see a WSS employee sprinting to the back and as soon he hits the door, you could hear his roaring and belly laughing all over the store.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Banned

who actually shops in a sporting good store anyways?

Add to cart is the way to go...
Old 01-02-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
who actually shops in a sporting good store anyways?

Add to cart is the way to go...
Unless you need something now, and don't want to wait days to receive it, or you don't want to pay the surcharge to have powder and primers shipped to you, when they have them in stock locally.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unless you need something now, and don't want to wait days to receive it, or you don't want to pay the surcharge to have powder and primers shipped to you, when they have them in stock locally.
Exactly... Why pay shipping for something, then have to wait 4 days.

Only time I really want to buy something online is if its on sale and the store doesn't have it, or if there is free shipping.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
Exactly... Why pay shipping for something, then have to wait 4 days.

Only time I really want to buy something online is if its on sale and the store doesn't have it, or if there is free shipping.
Or being in the store to look at all the other stuff you don't really need.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Banned

With the answers being no more than yes and at a point where I am not starting from day one and don’t need to fondle anything anymore I haven’t been in a store for a long time.

Fly’s is by far the very best at what they do if they had mail order I wouldn’t bother with anything else.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:39 AM

Default Wss gp

Young guy behind counter was trying to sell a "goat " rifle to a customer. Here was the converstation
Customer: hey I'm looking to get a rifle for sheep/ goat hunting
Clerk:OK what caliber do you want it in
Customer: don't know I have a 7mm RM but I'm not sure if it will work well on sheep/goats
At this point the clerk turns around and grabs a box of hornady SST shells and continues...
" the 7mm is a great round for sheep but you have to shoot the right bullets... the biggest part about sheep hunting is you want a light FAST bullet that will penetrate well. Sheep have hollow hair that tends to makes it hard for normal bullets to penetrate BUT. Hornady designed these bullets specifically with a super sharp tip that is able to part the hair and penetrate deeply. With these bullets you could use your 7mm rm and be able to make kills out to 1000 yds no problem
Old 01-21-2017, 08:33 AM

Now that's funny.

Hornady hair bullets. Think I'll get some 300 H&H HH's
Old 01-21-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Young guy behind counter was trying to sell a "goat " rifle to a customer. Here was the converstation
Customer: hey I'm looking to get a rifle for sheep/ goat hunting
Clerk:OK what caliber do you want it in
Customer: don't know I have a 7mm RM but I'm not sure if it will work well on sheep/goats
At this point the clerk turns around and grabs a box of hornady SST shells and continues...
" the 7mm is a great round for sheep but you have to shoot the right bullets... the biggest part about sheep hunting is you want a light FAST bullet that will penetrate well. Sheep have hollow hair that tends to makes it hard for normal bullets to penetrate BUT. Hornady designed these bullets specifically with a super sharp tip that is able to part the hair and penetrate deeply. With these bullets you could use your 7mm rm and be able to make kills out to 1000 yds no problem

Wow!!
Did the customer buy it?
Old 01-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Banned

That sounds so far in left field that the salesman had to have been yanking his chain.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
That sounds so far in left field that the salesman had to have been yanking his chain.
Customer just stood there nodding and saying " oh really,oh yah, OK good to know thanks" he bought the box of ammo but I'm not sure he completely bought the pitch. Sales guy was definitely not yanking his chain. He went into great detail explaining how sheep and goats have hollow core guard hairs that help help them insulated at higher altitudes that also makes it difficult for bullets with lead tips to penetrate well. The sharper the bullet point the better it can part the hair
Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 AM

Default Hollow hair

I guess we should be using SST for all big game hunting. As I am sure they all have hollow hair of some sort or some time during the year such as winter!

Maybe A-Max would be better ....
Old 01-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
I guess we should be using SST for all big game hunting. As I am sure they all have hollow hair of some sort or some time during the year such as winter!

Maybe A-Max would be better ....

Clearly, we need to be using hollow point on hollow haired animals. Think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
Clearly, we need to be using hollow point on hollow haired animals. Think about it.

That makes absolute perfect sense!!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 AM

Default Dumbest at counter

Guy who was obviously really high not stoned but on bath salts or something came in asked for an "assault rifle", I told him (with no intention of selling a butter knife to him) we don't sell "assault rifles". He looked at an AR, told me he wanted that with th biggest mag he could have. I told him the biggest by law was 5......he told me "not enough."... I told him I wanted to see his licence, he told me he didn't have one...... told him he couldn't buy any firearm without a license.... he tried to buy a cross bow...... didn't have enough money......

Or anytime someone held the tacti-cool guns and said they were "badass"......
Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 AM

^That's scary !! ^
Old 01-25-2017, 10:21 AM

When I first arrived in the city as young man I went to the local gun store. There was a great big guy in there bragging about his 300 WinMag.
Then I overheard them talking about knives and I said I had a small skinning knife that I used for everything. The big guy puffed up his chest, looked down at me and told me "boy where I go hunting I carry at 12 inch blade "! I seriously asked what for? And he looked down at me, I realized that I had taken the bait, he said "because boy, where I go hunting it's grizzly country!"
I just responded to him "well I think that if you can't kill him with your 300 WinMag you better just turn that knife on yourself and save the bear the trouble." Everyone there looked at the floor and that conversation was over.
The guy that I was with just looked up at me and gave me a grin.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
When I first arrived in the city as young man I went to the local gun store. There was a great big guy in there bragging about his 300 WinMag.
Then I overheard them talking about knives and I said I had a small skinning knife that I used for everything. The big guy puffed up his chest, looked down at me and told me "boy where I go hunting I carry at 12 inch blade "! I seriously asked what for? And he looked down at me, I realized that I had taken the bait, he said "because boy, where I go hunting it's grizzly country!"
I just responded to him "well I think that if you can't kill him with your 300 WinMag you better just turn that knife on yourself and save the bear the trouble." Everyone there looked at the floor and that conversation was over.
The guy that I was with just looked up at me and gave me a grin.
you missed a perfect opportunity.

you should have said

"i carry a twelve inch (use your imagination) i plan on killing the bear with"
Old 01-25-2017, 10:47 PM

Default Bullets

Had a buddy buy bullets at Cabelas for his .300 Weatherby magnum and got sold .300 win mag ammunition. They told him they were the same thing just cheaper! Lol
Old 01-26-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimog3 View Post
Had a buddy buy bullets at Cabelas for his .300 Weatherby magnum and got sold .300 win mag ammunition. They told him they were the same thing just cheaper! Lol
I have seen two different people shooting 300winmag ammunition in 300wby rifles. The funny thing is, that even after seeing empty cases with almost no necks, they mever caught on, and had to be told what was going on. However, without being present at the store to hear what they asked for, I don't necessarily blame the store,. I have heard people refer to a Vanguard in 300win mag as a 300wby, and I have had people tell me about their 300 Remington rifle. If they don't know what they have themselves, who knows what they asked for.. As to the "bullets", both cartridges do use the same bullets.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:53 AM

At basspro, heard a young Asian fella asking if an under armor shirt would stop a bullet. The guy said "you bet" and walked off shaking his head...