Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 AM

Default British Labrador Breeder(s) in Alberta

Hello Everybody,
I am looking for a British Lab puppy as hunting dog.
Do you know any breeder(s) in Alberta?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 06:50 AM

What is the difference,canadian,us etc.Or are you looking for a reputable breeder?
Old 01-02-2017, 07:08 AM

If you're looking for an English lab I would highly recommend cowboy up kennels. We got a pup from there this fall and he's been great.

- Fred Bear
Old 01-02-2017, 03:16 PM

PM Pixel shooter. He is very active in the field trial scene, likes all Labs and knows a great deal about who the current best breeders by type and traits are.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Banned

I just bought a lab from Prairie storm kennels in saskatoon, have had her a week tomorrow and so far i'm blown away. Pup already knows its kennel and shes lasting 5ish hours a night in the kennel without a noise. Also knows exactly where her pee spot is in the yard. I did a lot of research and Danielle was amazing in answering questions etc etc
Old 01-02-2017, 03:36 PM

Wildrose Kennels in DeWinton. I bought one from there 6 years ago. Easy to train and and great hunting dog as well as great with kids. Can't go wrong.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:46 PM

Contact Randy Blanchard, I know his labs are from a Scottish line and he swears by them.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 PM

Default British labs

Nice British( Show) Labs in Calgary.
I found my Lab from Labralynne in Calgary. The breeder said that they have been breeding the hunting out of her labs for 4 generations, and that they were show dogs.
Well, my SHOW dog flushed and retrieved over 40 birds this season. Then she came home and pranced around the yard like she won the breeders Cup
Hilarious.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta.elk View Post
Hello Everybody,

I am looking for a British Lab puppy as hunting dog.

Do you know any breeder(s) in Alberta?

Thanks

Hey there not sure when you are looking for a pup. But I will be breeding my yellow British lab to a yellow uk male. As soon as she goes into heat this month or next. 4 pups are spoken for already. I am not a kennel. Just a hunter breeding for hunting dogs. She is 2 and is a hunting machine. But calm as can be at home. That's why I wanted a uk lab. My name is Ross and I live in Calgary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 12:15 AM

I got my lab from Eagertrieve labs. She is an English and loves hunting. She was a year in Sept and had no problem going for grouse and loves riding in the side by side. She is very quiet and great with my kids and all dogs. We have a 4lb York who is her boss.

In my neighborhood, there is an American style Male and he is always cold in the winter and my English goes and rolls in the snow or stretches out in it. I had her out ice fishing with me all last winter and she was never cold even at -15 C for 6 hours.

she is a great dog, extremely smart and loyal.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:41 AM

x2 for Cowboy Up Kennel. We have two from them and they're both great dogs.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:08 PM

allot of confusion after reading some of the replies, English and British are totally different lines, they are not the same. I know of no British breeders in Alberta, quite a few out east and south of the border, you may have to expand your search. Lots of good reading on britishlabradors.com. Very different philosophy in training and expectations.

I have owned English for 35 years and its much more difficult to find solid English hunting lines, my last dog I had to go to PA to find what I was looking for. Im a big fan of repeat breedings. British field trials are very different then north American lol, amazing to watch the ability of these dogs as well as different training philosophies
Old 01-14-2017, 07:33 PM

I seen some REAL NICE old world black labs at Randy Blanchards place, he would certainly be a good place to start and he's an excellent trainer.

Pixel, what's the difference between British and English? I know the difference between American and British.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:07 PM

I had to get uk field trail lines from Mississippi. But glad I did

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 05:07 PM

x3 for Cowboy up kennels, I picked mine up 4 years ago. Beautiful looking yellow female great companion.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:31 PM

Google Oak Lane Retrievers. Kristy produces some really nice British labs. She's located just outside of Melfort Sk. We got our black male from her not quite 2 years ago and he is great. She has both american line labs as well as the British labs from UK field trial lines. I'm not a huge waterfowler but this dog has all the tools. He loves to retrieve and very easy to work with. He is primarily our family pet but i'm working at turning him into a shed dog. He's been super eager to work with and would sit stay and wait for up to 10 minutes by 4mo. He's by far the calmest 20 month old lab i've ever met. Friends and family comment on it all the time. He's about as big as he'll get at 60lbs now. So far, he's pretty much everything we expected to get in a British lab. I'm working on convincing the wife to get another.

Last edited by Saskabush; 01-19-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:11 PM

Its funny on what we may or may not think on what a good to a great dog is, some of the comments on a certain Kennel is not what I would desire,.HAVING WORKED WITH SOME OF THESE DOGS and there owners,I see just about zero drive from them,would they retrieve a bird for you ,,Yes...would they lay there head on your lap..YES...would they retrieve 60 birds in a day and look at you saying thats it,,,NO...having trained and certified three labs for .Search and rescue, certified by the RCMP, taken labs to senior hunt cert,one thing you can not train in a dog is DRIVE,....what you may think is drive and what a trainer who trains dogs thinks in drive is too different Ave ,one thing to remember is that WE are the weakest link..we are nothing more than the chauffeur.the Mom and the Dad and generations of grandfathers,mothers determines what is in your dog..PLEASE ...plesase do your home work,,,by NO means am I a professional trainer, but have trained with hundreds of dogs.Do not get caught up on the British to the English to the silver VS the black and the yellow, get a dog thats going to do what your ability of training is going to take it to be, the best friend that you can make it.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-20-2017, 12:11 PM

X2 on Eagertrieve labs, we love our English type yellow. This is him he was born May 28 2016.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yukon2.JPG (86.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0733.jpg (48.6 KB, 58 views)