Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 05:19 PM

Default Canyon Creek Report. Slave Lake. Attention!

Hi there!
Just returned from Slave Lake, fished Canyon Creek area. First of all I wanna share important information and give you guys heads up on the ice conditions.
We got there on Saturday morning, drove no problem, fished there till 5 PM and on the way back, there was water on the ice already by the shore, and ice started to raise...
That what we saw the next morning, today...

Brutal!
Use to be an acces to the lake...

This absolutely awfull... Few trucks pretty much trapped on ice, I hope they gonna make it home soon and safe. This morning we had to walk on ice to get some fishing, there was one local on the quad, he made it, but somewhere more south. He said, that a lot of shore ruined like so, he also mentioned that in 20 years he lives there, never have seen s..t like that...

So, yeah, if you were headed that way, hang on, or be ready to walk a kilometer or two, and grab your sled.

FISHING PART

Windy as hell!!! Straight for two days, pretty much non stop. This was our first trip to Slave, what a huge lake it is! Wow, and deep too. Fishing was kinda slow though, but didn't get skunked, in fact managed to catch 3 different species: burbot, pike and walleye! Which is not bad!
There is some fish the first day has brought to us:

Closer to the evening we mooved farther in the lake, ended up above 60+ feet deep hole! Crazy, that walleye and pike can live that deep. You could tell it by his eyes!

DAY #2

Started before sunrise...

But first fish we landed was around 9 o'clock

We'd probably catch more, but had to leave before noon.

This lake, without a doubt deserves another try and attention. Hopefuly the situation there will normalize soon.
Thanks for watching!

Stay safe, folks!

Angler and grouse_hunter

https://bit.ly/2RNVTKm
Old 01-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Banned

So, you are starting a thread while your woman is cleaning what you caught?!
I had a great time fishing, even though it was a bit slow. The wind was downright intense.
Big thanks to "Marco" who gifted Angler and I some burbot and a pike! The walleye were all on my rod this time!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
So, you are starting a thread while your woman is cleaning what you caught?!
I had a great time fishing, even though it was a bit slow. The wind was downright intense.
Big thanks to "Marco" who gifted Angler and I some burbot and a pike! The walleye were all on my rod this time!
Well, yeah! That's how it works in the old country, man catch, woman clean and cook! Ha, ha, ha. Kidding, I like to clean fish myself, imagine that I'm a surgent...

100% Thank you "Mirco" on that fish you gave us, with all that we had a good haul to bring home! I hope you make it home safe, bro! He was one of the "prisonners" on the lake.

This our catch with Mirco's share!

Old 01-15-2017, 06:13 PM

You shouldn't fish in 60 fow. Every fish you catch will have barotrauma and most will die.

You shouldn't really fish much deeper then 30 fow unless you plan on keeping everything you catch.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
You shouldn't fish in 60 fow. Every fish you catch will have barotrauma and most will die.

You shouldn't really fish much deeper then 30 fow unless you plan on keeping everything you catch.
Everything that we caught at that depth was of legal size. It worked out well. Thank you for your advice.

There's one 55cm walleye missing from the "catch of the day" picture.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Well, we caught only 3 fish in that hole and kept one... So, I don't think we did that much of the impact to the lake. But good to know that, next time we'll try to avoid deep spots like that. My concern is more about those numbers of burbot people catch and throw them on the ice to feed crows, what's up with that!? If you don't want it, release, or give it to people who will eat them, like me and grouse_hunter. I think it's just disrespect to GAME Fish! IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
It worked out well.
This time.

Still not a good practice, next time you might catch half a dozen undersize out there. It is easy to catch your limit on Slave in under 30 fow, no need to fish deep like that imo.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
Well, we caught only 3 fish in that hole and kept one... So, I don't think we did that much of the impact to the lake. But good to know that, next time we'll try to avoid deep spots like that. My concern is more about those numbers of burbot people catch and throw them on the ice to feed crows, what's up with that!? If you don't want it, release, or give it to people who will eat them, like me and grouse_hunter. I think it's just disrespect to GAME Fish! IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.
The burbot wasting is retarded and an old stupid rule that I am pretty sure was put in place to allow commercial fishermen to waste them since there was no market for them.

I have personally already sent requests to AEP to change that law and hope others will as well.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:08 PM

Default Canyon Creek

Drove out today from Slave to Canyon Creek as a friend that fishes there constantly and has his shack off Widewater said at least 4 trucks dropped their front tires in following the road crossing the ice ridge when they left the lake.

No vehicles were on the ice but while there a jeep headed out. There seems to be a safe route across the ice ridge east of the marina. My Friend has been fishing and commercial fishing Slave Lake for the past 20 years but will NOT drive a truck out on the ice this year.
Takes his quad, then again he lives less than a click from the lake. Fishing has not been great but heck it is just too nice not to get out there. I loaded up my quad.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Agree.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
This time.

Still not a good practice, next time you might catch half a dozen undersize out there. It is easy to catch your limit on Slave in under 30 fow, no need to fish deep like that imo.
Practice is practice, either it's good or bad. Now we know, that fish pulling from that depth, more likely will die. I'd say, that we were more curious (when we messured the line) to check out, if anything lives at that depth, as we never fished before in holes like that. Let's say we learned our lesson. But what about half a dozen of shacks parked in that area? Are they just observing the fauna there via aqua vu? Whose gonna know what they've done to fish over all that time? We went there, seeing people fishing in that area, and weren't looking for the hole like so...
Perhaps, it would be a good idea to bring this message to people who do it on purpose?
Here is the coordinates:

With all respect...

Old 01-16-2017, 07:52 AM

There is as report sent in about the criticism of fishing too deep
In this case I really think it is was not unfounded criticism but good education as the OP did not realize that the fish would die if released after being caught at that depth .
Personally I hate ice fishing but thousands of people every year look forward to it and that is a great thing to have a winter hobby like that!
Cat
Old 01-16-2017, 08:28 AM

Cool man slave is my favourite ice fishing spot just for the big lake experience there literally dozens of access points along the south shore pretty sure those people trapped an just drive over to assineu depending on the drifts there wasn't any pressure ridge there last week and I could see the canyon reek shacks from where I was fishing last week . I personally fish 25-30 fow no problems with releasing fish u won't get as many burbot but should be able to stay on the walleye.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Any reports on the access at other points in the area? I am planning to head up there for the first time this coming weekend and curious about getting on the lake. I'll probably load the quad up to go out instead of the truck, so info on the amount of snow on the ice would be helpful too.

Thanks!

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-16-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
This time.

This is something I dislike about widewater and canyon creek all the guys set up their shacks in 50 fow. When I fish there we fish in 24 fow and do great with walleye and burbot!

To the OP thank you for the report and sharing looks like it was a good time!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:12 AM

You will have no problem getting around with your quad Sam....biggest thing is crossing the ice heaves...don't take long for them to find a way around them as the guys renting out shacks have a lot at stake if they cant get the clients out to them
Old 01-16-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Any reports on the access at other points in the area? I am planning to head up there for the first time this coming weekend and curious about getting on the lake. I'll probably load the quad up to go out instead of the truck, so info on the amount of snow on the ice would be helpful too.

Thanks!

SS
Quad is a good plan!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:32 PM

Not very much snow up there, more likely to encounter spots of bare ice now with the winds the way they've been.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM

I didn't realize that the guys set up their shacks that deep in these places, I don't get why since I know guys including myself the times I have been there have been able to find them in shallower water.

If you are going to fish in over 30 fow you better better have a descender system set up so you can release undersize fish. There are a few ways you can do this but one of the easiest is to use a 1 lb bullet head jig with the barb ground off, tie the line to the hook instead of the eye so it hangs upside down vertically. Then hook that into fishes lip and lower them down to the bottom using an extra rod, give it a hard pull up to set the fish free. If 1 lb jig isn't doing enough attach a 1-2 lb weight to the jig eye for extra weight. This is what we did when fishing for rockfish out on Vancouver Island this summer, also works good for lakers at Cold etc that don't burp properly.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:59 PM

Some one went in st Cutbank too now ... Sounds like this warm weather causing a lot of grief setting off pressure cracks I think I'll wait for it to freeze back up before going back
Old 01-16-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize that the guys set up their shacks that deep in these places, I don't get why since I know guys including myself the times I have been there have been able to find them in shallower water.

If you are going to fish in over 30 fow you better better have a descender system set up so you can release undersize fish. There are a few ways you can do this but one of the easiest is to use a 1 lb bullet head jig with the barb ground off, tie the line to the hook instead of the eye so it hangs upside down vertically. Then hook that into fishes lip and lower them down to the bottom using an extra rod, give it a hard pull up to set the fish free. If 1 lb jig isn't doing enough attach a 1-2 lb weight to the jig eye for extra weight. This is what we did when fishing for rockfish out on Vancouver Island this summer, also works good for lakers at Cold etc that don't burp properly.
A descender isnt the answer either. Most of the damage is already done. But I guess it might help some.
Another solution might be fish with a camera so you can see what is biting and what size but it really isnt the answer either.
Best solution is fish less than 30'.

There is a reason Guide to Sportfishing Regs recommends fishing in less than 23 fow.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
This is something I dislike about widewater and canyon creek all the guys set up their shacks in 50 fow. When I fish there we fish in 24 fow and do great with walleye and burbot!

To the OP thank you for the report and sharing looks like it was a good time!
Yes, a lot of shacks set up in the deepness, I assume those guys know, that it isn't recommended to fish that deep, but obviously don't care...
I read regulations once again, and they say you shouldn't fish that deep (up to 7 meters/23 feet is OK), don't say you not allowed, so it isn't illegal, right? That’s why nobody touch them I guess...

Thank you, for the thank you, man! At least one guy found this useful...

Moral of my message was mostly to deliver awarness...

Old 01-16-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
Yes, a lot of shacks set up in the deepness, I assume those guys know, that it isn't recommended to fish that deep, but obviously don't care...
I read regulations once again, and they say you shouldn't fish that deep (up to 7 meters/23 feet is OK), don't say you not allowed, so it isn't illegal, right? That’s why nobody touch them I guess...

Thank you, for the thank you, man! At least one guy found this useful...

Moral of my message was mostly to deliver awarness...
No it is not illegal. It would be pretty much impossible to enforce.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:56 AM

This is near Cutbank on Lesser Slave. A different spot but I believe the ice is similar all over the lake! Be safe out there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck.jpg (20.5 KB, 312 views)
Old 01-17-2017, 08:49 AM

Just wondering what you guys are using to catch the burbot? I haven't caught one since I was a kid. They are the best eating freshwater fish IMO.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7Extreme View Post
Just wondering what you guys are using to catch the burbot? I haven't caught one since I was a kid. They are the best eating freshwater fish IMO.

Minnow right on the bottom is best with little to no movement. At least that's what I've found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Many times I caught burbot on the tip up, once there was even a big spoon with a smelt on the end(was expecting Pike to grab it), and it took it.
But, for a lake with multiple species, I prefer to put a jig head on the tip up, with a minnow, tear it's head out though, more effective. I've caught walleye, burbot and Pike like so. Use fluro leader like 20 pounds or more, you'll catch more fish, than with steel leaders.
Also you could make a sandwich with dew warms and minnow, works good for burbot as well.
Same type of rig for the rod.

As for the fish, absolutely agree, those guys are delicious!
Glad not everyone concume them, so there's more for us! Lol
Just don't waste it peps! Don't leave it on ice, set free!

Old 01-17-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Last week we caught 6 Burbot with a jig and minnow 2" off the bottom at Slave. That's my favorite thing about ice fishing Slave, you never know what will come through the ice.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve19 View Post
This is near Cutbank on Lesser Slave. A different spot but I believe the ice is similar all over the lake! Be safe out there!
Built like a Rock! Sinks right to the bottom!

All joking aside, I hope the occupants are ok.

BW
Old 01-17-2017, 02:59 PM

Default Video Report

I was a bit lasy to edit yesterday, but got it all done today.
Here is a short video report from our trip. I hope you enjoy!

Watch Here