Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
So enlighten us then.

This area has seen thousands of years of human use... camping... use of mass fires for hunting (pretty common tactic).....

This area has been shaped by humans for a serious long time.... what 'point of restoration would you like to see..?
You should be asking yourself how much more do you want to see your favorite area decline, and what do you want to see preserved for your grandchildren or your grand children's children?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:57 PM

All I want are the ATVs restricted to pullling out critters or putting in camps.

Enforce random camping stays.... keep hunting and fishing... keep logging small scale... reduce oil and gas exploration.... and I'm good.

Do this and I figure there'll be plenty of critters for my kids.

I ask again.... what do you want to see?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 PM

Yes the children. Always mention "the children" to shame any opposition to your view.

This is very bad for future access If the furher herself will be there. I'm three hours away and will not be able to make it. Please go and make it as uncomfortable as you can for her and her saviours of the earth as possible.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
All I want are the ATVs restricted to pullling out critters or putting in camps.

Enforce random camping stays.... keep hunting and fishing... keep logging small scale... reduce oil and gas exploration.... and I'm good.

Do this and I figure there'll be plenty of critters for my kids.

I ask again.... what do you want to see?
I'd be very happy to see exactly the same things and activities you want preserved, controlled but not eliminated because they are exactly the activities I have done both north and south of the Pass for a long time.

I'd maybe go one step further and say I'd support watershed protection, enhancement and management - because without that, you won't have the recreation values you and I both appreciate.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:08 PM

They could start by taking out the ski resort!

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 PM
Banned

Just want to give a big thumbs up to all the OHV users that aren't calling for a ban on hunting. Good to see they understand the importance of sharing the wild spaces with all Albertans.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 PM

I hope
They don't close the castle where I learnt to hunt n was married on the castle it's a place dear to my heart
Old 01-19-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Various conservation groups and "outdoorsman" groups have lobbied government(s) to to protect the Castle and create a "wilderness area" since 1965. Think Ghost, Siffluer, White Goat Wilderness Areas.

Now, because of the cumulative impact of decades of petroleum development, logging, indiscriminate off-road vehicle use, commercial development and government mismanagement, the Castle region can no longer even be considered to be a wilderness area anymore.

The primary goal now for the management of the Castle area will be restoration rather than the protection of the original pristine wilderness it once was. There's been plenty of time and opportunity for stakeholders to get involved with the long on-going "management" planning and discussion processes.

Difficult decisions no doubt have already been made and I applaud a government for finally having the guts and determination to manage and protect whats left, and to do what the majority of Albertans want done in the region.

Trying to disrupt or upstage an announcement event, even if there is one, will just be perceived by the media and the general public as another group of special interest whiners.

If you're perceived as not part of the solution - you're now part of the problem.
This message is brought to you by the official shill of the NDP.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:38 AM

How am I going to pick huckleberries down there and I have been doing it since 1965. This was the first year I couldn't go as they took the bridge out at the ski hill and were giving trucks tickets if they forded the river. Oh I forgot you can't pick flowers in a park so I guess no more berry picking for anyone. What's next hunting gone? Most of the area has been logged or burned once so with proper forest management it can be harvested again.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:31 AM
Banned

I think this is boss hogs tactic right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HoL98HNOr8&sns=em
Old 01-20-2017, 06:41 AM
Banned

What time is this happening?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
This message is brought to you by the official shill of the NDP.
It's so easy enough to ignore you as a mouthpiece for another - I'm So Special - Special Interest Group.

Or perhaps you're just another old dinosaur political hack with all of 39 awe inspiring posts.

I thought shills were paid. How much do you get paid? Likely very little.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Banned

Default huckleberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
How am I going to pick huckleberries down there and I have been doing it since 1965. This was the first year I couldn't go as they took the bridge out at the ski hill and were giving trucks tickets if they forded the river. Oh I forgot you can't pick flowers in a park so I guess no more berry picking for anyone. What's next hunting gone? Most of the area has been logged or burned once so with proper forest management it can be harvested again.
This last fall I went for my berries, day 1 up the ski hill on the day of the festival. did not find good picking.
Day 2 Barriers and signs in place at the ford and bridge is to narrow for my car so I walked up to middle Kouteney pass in the morning and back to the ski hill at night. Berries took a beating in my pack.
Day 3, early morning, packed up for a camping on the pass , after walking in I/2 mile, from the ski hill parking lot, a van loaded with hutterites passed me. I went back to the ski hill and got my car moved the baracades forded the creek in my little car and drove up to as far as my car could go on the pass where I always pick. While I am picking 2 or 3 trucks come in and go farther up than my car. I camped and picked on the pass two more days.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I think this is boss hogs tactic right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HoL98HNOr8&sns=em
Brilliant! And I'm pretty sure you are right.

Side note: I still haven't made peace with that movie. Denver Pyle would be rolling in his grave...
Old 01-20-2017, 08:59 AM

I heard Notley and her deep pockets bought back the timber rights for which area's down south here I'm not sure. Undisclosed amount to me but I was told it was substantial.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
It's so easy enough to ignore you as a mouthpiece for another - I'm So Special - Special Interest Group.

Or perhaps you're just another old dinosaur political hack with all of 39 awe inspiring posts.

I thought shills were paid. How much do you get paid? Likely very little.
Its funny that you make three big incorrect ASSumptions.
First that the volume of blither (your's), is important.
Secondly that what YOU are saying is important, relevant or even meaningful.
And that YOU are NOT ignored mostly.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:41 AM
Banned

A little more info from Crownest Pass Quad Squads facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/Crowsnest-P...9842127702245/

"I was advised of very quick notice of a conference call with the Minister of Parks and Environment at which time at 6:00 P.M. last night that the boundaries of the new Parks have been approved by an order in council to be about the same as the original proposal and effective immediately that all "illegal trails" in the Castle will be closed and some designated trails will remain open for OHV use for a period of two to five years to allow for the development of other trail systems outside of the Parks. (At the same time reducing the amount of trails in the Porcupine and Livingston Range) Not sure how that is going to work. I raised the question to the Minster why has this decision been made when the Castle Management Board that I was sitting on has not made any recommendations to the Government that I am aware of. I believe this Board was simply a dog and pony show as the Government had already made their decision. The Minister's response was that this is just a draft plan and all recommendations would be considered. There is a 16 day public consultation process where apparently there will an on-line format for people to voice their concerns although at this point we have not been able to locate a link for this survey. Once we find it we will advise. This information will be announced by the Premier at 11:00 at the Kootenai Brown Village in Pincher Creek today. I urge anyone that can attend to be there to voice their displeasure. The Quad Squad will continue its efforts to preserve our recreational sport."
Old 01-20-2017, 09:57 AM

i hate to say it but i raised this issue(entire areas being closed to OHV's) last fall when they "temporarily" closed the OHV trails at Bob creek.

as well the harassment they were giving hunters in porcupine hills last fall, part of a collective movement to stop access.

I can see them making the entire area south of kananaskis to waterton having restrictions like kananaskis.(including porcupine hills)

welcome to Russia people.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:12 AM
Banned

Just received this email:

Alberta establishes the Castle Provincial Park and the Castle Wildland Provincial Park and is seeking input on the draft Management Plan

From September 4 to October 5, 2015, Albertans were invited to comment on the Government of Alberta’s proposal to enhance protection of the Castle area. As a result of what we heard from the public, stakeholders and Indigenous Peoples, the Government of Alberta is pleased to announce the establishment of the Castle Provincial Park and the Castle Wildland Provincial Park. This protects important wildlife populations and habitat, as well as critical headwaters. Recreation and tourism potential of the area is enhanced and will help to diversify the local economy into the future.

Due to the complex nature of the landscape, Alberta Parks has developed a draft Management Plan for the Provincial Park and Wildland Provincial Park with advice and recommendations from First Nations and key stakeholders. The draft plan sets out objectives and strategies for management of the parks over a ten year period.

Your input is valued. Public participation is an important part of the management planning process and Albertans are being invited to share their thoughts and suggestions on the draft plan.
More information on the new parks, the draft management plan process, and upcoming public open houses can be found at www.albertaparks.ca/consult
Old 01-20-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Just received this email:

Alberta establishes the Castle Provincial Park and the Castle Wildland Provincial Park and is seeking input on the draft Management Plan

From September 4 to October 5, 2015, Albertans were invited to comment on the Government of Alberta’s proposal to enhance protection of the Castle area. As a result of what we heard from the public, stakeholders and Indigenous Peoples, the Government of Alberta is pleased to announce the establishment of the Castle Provincial Park and the Castle Wildland Provincial Park. This protects important wildlife populations and habitat, as well as critical headwaters. Recreation and tourism potential of the area is enhanced and will help to diversify the local economy into the future.

Due to the complex nature of the landscape, Alberta Parks has developed a draft Management Plan for the Provincial Park and Wildland Provincial Park with advice and recommendations from First Nations and key stakeholders. The draft plan sets out objectives and strategies for management of the parks over a ten year period.

Your input is valued. Public participation is an important part of the management planning process and Albertans are being invited to share their thoughts and suggestions on the draft plan.
More information on the new parks, the draft management plan process, and upcoming public open houses can be found at www.albertaparks.ca/consult
Me as well. Was just coming to post it.

Hopefully the consultations/public input aren't just for show and they actually listen to what people are saying.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM

For what it's worth, this is a comment from a news reporter with Global Lethbridge who is at the announcement:

Quinn Campbell ‏@quinnLcampbell 4m - Not all applause for the announcement by premier, many in crowed booing
Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Banned

Management plan posted on the government website. Looks like hunting is allowed in both parks, but ATV use fully phased out in 3-5 years, including immediate closure of ATV trails south of highway 774.

https://talkaep.alberta.ca/CastleManagementPlan/faqs
Old 01-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
For what it's worth, this is a comment from a news reporter with Global Lethbridge who is at the announcement:

Quinn Campbell ‏@quinnLcampbell 4m - Not all applause for the announcement by premier, many in crowed booing
Thanks for the heads-up! Can see it on Quinn's Twitter feed here.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
Management plan posted on the government website. Looks like hunting is allowed in both parks, but ATV use fully phased out in 3-5 years, including immediate closure of ATV trails south of highway 774.

https://talkaep.alberta.ca/CastleManagementPlan/faqs
so does that mean no access to middle kootenay pass and then no berry picking?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 AM

if you read the wording regarding hunting, its states "as required for management purposes" or along that lines. all they will need to do is say at any time is "no longer needed".

done.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Banned

Default If you couldn't see this coming ?

Are there any statements released by your F&G clubs .
Not likely .

There are so many reasons for this to happen , and it's

Going to happen everywhere . The theory that there is room
For everyone . There is not ! The people who supposedly speak
For you are mute . Foot access only is the wave of the future .
The abuse of the environment is real , our govt loves those
fine dollars . ATV another Edsel . You can put this in the
column under ......DUI s .
But likely the natives won't be hindered by these closures
you know tradition , sustenance.. ?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Default Nothing about hunting?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3195077/al...hway-vehicles/

PINCHER CREEK, Alta. – Alberta is announcing final boundaries for a pair of protected areas in southwestern Alberta and is moving to phase out off-highway vehicles in the region.

READ MORE: Alberta government moves to protect vast Castle wilderness

Premier Rachel Notley announced Friday the Castle Wildland Provincial Park and the new Castle Provincial Park will preserve 103,000 hectares of mountains and foothills.

RELATED

Castle Mountain Resort opened a week early because of snow conditions. Castle Mountain gives skiers and snowboarders a sneak peek
Water experts call for end to logging in Castle region of southwestern Alberta
Notley says off-highway vehicles will not be allowed within the new Castle boundary.

“A new protected area in the Castle is a real gift to Albertans,” Katie Morrison, a conservation director with the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society, said.
“The Castle is a major source of water for southern Alberta and is home for grizzly bears, bull trout and rare plants. It’s a great place to connect with nature through quiet recreation.”

READ MORE: Doubts raised about plan to protect Alberta wilderness area

The area has been heavily used by such vehicles and scientists say they’re damaging the landscape’s ability to support wildlife such as grizzly bears.

The Castle area is home to more than 200 rare or at-risk species on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains and near British Columbia and Montana.

The next phase for the 103,000-hectare parks is the development of a management plan for the ecologically and culturally significant area, the province said. A 60-day public consultation will help flesh out the new parks’ features and opportunities. A draft plan has been developed and Albertans are encouraged to provide feedback.

“The Castle is a key part of the Yellowstone to Yukon region,” Stephen Legault, program director with the Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative, said. “It’s one of the linchpins in the whole Y2Y system.

“Today’s announcement will start Alberta towards a new mandate for protecting places that help protect nature, diversify our economy and create jobs that support our province and our environment.”
“Camping, hiking, mountain biking, snow sports… These activities shape and enrich the lives of hundreds of thousands of Albertans and numerous visitors to the province,” David Labistour, CEO of Mountain Equipment Co-op, said. “They are also mainstays of MEC’s business. We congratulate the Government of Alberta on providing provincial park status to the Castle area.”

With files from Global News
Old 01-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Banned

This survey does nothing in the way of public input. It has created environmental issues were there were none.

Other than this comment section, the survey has not permitted input, but rather subtly forces the individual to agree or disagree on conservation methods as opposed to the issue at hand.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Banned

Hehe...the new standard. Quiet recreation. No noisy quads, loud gunshots, children running around having fun. Hopefully they ban those annoying bear bells as well.

Bit by bit by bit.