Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 04:48 PM

Default Castle Area Soon Closed To All OHV Use

Read the details in the general thread.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 AM

Default Casle Area

Just read M H news closed whithin 5 Years
Old 01-21-2017, 08:24 AM

they should close more areas, most of my hunting spots have been ruined by these *******es
Old 01-21-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el sparko View Post
they should close more areas, most of my hunting spots have been ruined by these *******es
Patience my Son,Patience. Inevitable, but it's going to happen eventually.

Grizz
Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 AM

Using ATV for game retrieval will also likely be banned.....careful what you wish for.

LC
Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 AM

To understand some context here, in the Western US the biggest advocates for road and OHV closures are hunting groups. It seems that where these things aren't the hunting improves.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Using ATV for game retrieval will also likely be banned.....careful what you wish for.

LC
fine by me, I don't mind packing out a wt. when I get a moose down i'll make sure I got a couple of friends with me to help.

nothing like walking 10 k in the bush to see a quadder zipping by in a no atv zone and have him set up in front of you.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el sparko View Post
Hopefully you don't cry when they close it down to hunting as well. The problem with clowns like you are, it's all about me. We all have to ban together and play fair in the sandbox as multiple user groups, so areas don't get shut down to everyone.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 AM

Default Closures

I think that without quads ripping all over the place that the future of hunting might be less precarious. I choose to hunt areas where quads can't access now, like others it bugs me when I get into an area and hear quads roaring around all day.

The general public would prefer to think of hunting as a "noble pursuit" where a fellow puts on a pack and goes for a walk to enjoy the wilderness and that's an image we need to promote if we want to continue hunting.

We do need to maintain some areas for off highway vehicles to use because everyone should be able to enjoy their pursuits. It's dissapointing but like some hunters a few boneheads ruin it for the rest and this is what's happened with quads.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:23 AM

Below is a link to the governments current plan and info on Castle area in case anyone wants to check out some maps and read up.

https://talkaep.alberta.ca/CastleMan...83ARoCHBrw_wcB

Its pretty clear that when an outdoors group (such as this) can not agree on a topic that this land use is a complicated subject and thus we need our groups at the table with government finding ways to ensure we are represented. This government left the previous 5 years worth of consultation and planning (South Saskatchewan Region Plan - https://www.landuse.alberta.ca/Regio...s/default.aspx ) in the dust and is moving ahead on its own agenda with little or no public consultation. Based on the tactic of slipping this announcement in on the same day as the 45th Presidential Inauguration of Donald Trump and a short notice press meeting, they had hoped to NOT be head lining news. That is not the sort of government that we need in place. If this is the right thing to do then they should be proud to get it into the media and they should be seeking a headline in all facets of media toting their accomplishment. I applaud the enthusiasm to get something done but I am a little afraid of how it is being carried out and what the lasting results will be. Based on some of these folks personal agendas carried over from private life into their public office roles I am a little gun shy. We need to get vocal outside of our private forums and get our organizations into the media speaking up on our behalf or we will be left out on more than ATV use.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:33 AM

Ramcrazy... I'd love to play with other user groups.... but I find that the *****hat contingency of the quadder/side by side is big. Refuses to self regulate, and the law simply does not get applied to them at all. Many many many ohv users don't even have a sniff what legal-sustainable use looks like in the bush. Instead of accepting blame and changing their behavior... they use the ole 'others are worse, so what's your problem..?'... sheesh

If we had ohv cops. I believe our problems would be solved.

But we don't, and won't.... despite the obvious that greater enforcement would easily generate more revenue than the parks-ban approach.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-21-2017, 01:28 PM

Does unrestricted OHV use cause damage when proper safeguards(bridges et) are not in place. Yes.

Is it posssible to have set areas for all types of access, and have a mutual respect for others in how they choose to hunt? Yes

Is this a bad thing for the future of all unguided general season hunts(if hunting survives) in the eastern slopes for the future. Yes

Smoke em while you have em boys.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:32 PM

Default Not sure

In someways im not to sad because anyone i talk to about crown land generally gives me a run down on how ohvs are ruining the world. Never actually heard of the people i talk to using the land but they like to complain. I will say hunting 412 this year i had nothing but good to say about the ohv users. None where to invasive or just rude had a few stop and chat then go along their way.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Castle Closure

It is not just OHV closure. No on highway vehicles allowed off main road at all. This means no camping other than designated campgrounds and they do not allow you to hang game in these campgrounds. The way I read it is, if you do not have a horse or pack your wall tent in on your back, you won't have a camp in this area where you can hang an animal. You shoot, you go home or at least take the animal somewhere else. Also some mention in the draft of needing discharge permits for hunting in the park.
If you think this will not restrict hunting in the area I think you are very delusional.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:01 PM

Unfortunately off road vehicles have done it to themselves. This maybe be the start of more closures. I think it is up to responsible Atv users to take a stand, if you see someone acting in an appropriate manner then report it to authorities.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat27 View Post
Unfortunately off road vehicles have done it to themselves. This maybe be the start of more closures. I think it is up to responsible Atv users to take a stand, if you see someone acting in an appropriate manner then report it to authorities.
You are correct. They've done it to themselves. Hard to feel sorry for them.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:07 PM

DIscharge permit, hmmmmmmmmmm

What you anti OHV eletists think of that smoking gun?

Oh not to worry. Business as usually without those pesky ATV's right?

I did read that in the draft as well. I do not hunt that area, so the actual hunting restrictions that WILL be placed in the area will not affect me positively or negatively. I am concerned of the overall ramifications of the NDP doing as they please, having a anti hunt/OHV/trapping/fishing/ etc agenda.

For those who feel this is a good thing, I suggest you sit down, read the 164 page document BEFORE you go online and agree to it cause you figure it's going to increase your hunting opportunities. You make the bed, you lay in it.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
DIscharge permit, hmmmmmmmmmm

What you anti OHV eletists think of that smoking gun?

Oh not to worry. Business as usually without those pesky ATV's right?

I did read that in the draft as well. I do not hunt that area, so the actual hunting restrictions that WILL be placed in the area will not affect me positively or negatively. I am concerned of the overall ramifications of the NDP doing as they please, having a anti hunt/OHV/trapping/fishing/ etc agenda.

For those who feel this is a good thing, I suggest you sit down, read the 164 page document BEFORE you go online and agree to it cause you figure it's going to increase your hunting opportunities. You make the bed, you lay in it.
I don't think we can do anything unfortunately. There has been to many bad apples for to long now. A lot of people have been waiting for a Govt like we have now. We are far outnumbered.
I didn't vote for them.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:18 PM

Oh, forgot one thing.

Anyone who agrees with this as they see this as an advantage they will now have In their hunting pursuits in that area, please, do me a favor.

PM me in five years, after your hunting opportunities have been taken away/eroded, and let me know what the sensation ........yourself is really like.

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-21-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:17 PM

The hunting is going to be taken away regardless of using quads or not. Just by using abusing the lands of which we hunt will just speed up the process. I grew up hunting the castle area it's a shame but it is what it is.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:36 PM

Never hunted the Castle area, but I do hunt Mclean Creek in 406. Probably one the heaviest OHV use areas I know of. In this regards the animal population there does not seem to be hurting at all. I've seen cranker Elk, MD, and Moose all in that area. I see more game on my quad than I do when I hunt it in the morning (no OHV until noon).

Now its only open to general tags archery only for a few weeks and then the rest on draw. So to me game management seems better than restrictions.

I think restricting any outdoor group is going to eventually restrict all outdoor groups. Divide so that they can conquer.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
fine by me, I don't mind packing out a wt. when I get a moose down i'll make sure I got a couple of friends with me to help.

nothing like walking 10 k in the bush to see a quadder zipping by in a no atv zone and have him set up in front of you.
So you think banning law abiding people from using the land for OHV activity is going to stop the people that by your own admission are already riding in in non-OHV area? Give your head a shake

This hole this is B.S the answer is more enforcement not closing land down to recreation and sportsmen. All this will do is put more pressure on other areas.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
So you think banning law abiding people from using the land for OHV activity is going to stop the people that by your own admission are already riding in in non-OHV area? Give your head a shake

This hole this is B.S the answer is more enforcement not closing land down to recreation and sportsmen. All this will do is put more pressure on other areas.
We banned poaching right? That solved the problem right?

Anyone who wants to ban a sport or a pastime that is enjoyed by others but not by ones self is nothing short of selfish.

In every sport/pastime there are bad apples: poachers (fishing and hunting), campers who leave garbage, hikers who leave garbage etc. Eventually, just as everyone here has said everyone's sport/past time will be banned.

Last edited by Fur; 01-21-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:43 PM

It's "pass time"

-Billy Molls
Old 01-21-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It's "pass time"
Both wrong, its "pastime"
Old 01-21-2017, 07:54 PM

Correct

-Billy Molls
Old 01-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post

Which will then be shut down to 'overuse'.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:58 PM

Here's another kicker on enforcement.

In one of the news reports(global I think) Rachel mentioned that either 22 or 44 new jobs would be created by this.

Somehow, they were able to find funding to enforce their new rules when they were Unable to find resources to enforce the existing rules.

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-21-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:39 AM

Where do people get the idea that wildland parks will mean a loss of hunting? I hunted Willmore and another wildland park this year. There is a rich history of backcountry hunting in Alberta's wildland parks, I don't see why it would change in this one.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:09 AM

The problem with atv's is that they wreck the land a little bit.
Not enough that it's a problem in moderation, but eventually, it's a problem.
I enjoy dirt biking, and come from a family of avid (and much better than me) dirt bikers. We ride on family owned land, and have a ton of fun.
But...
That land looks like it's been dirt biked all over.
When you have a vehicle with aggressive tires, it's going to leave a mark.
It's no big deal when the land is owned by people who like to climb hills, and make high speed turns, and go through wet spots (which all leave a mark).
Public land is there for everyone to enjoy, and the general idea is to leave it in it's natural state. When everyone is running their atv's over it, it is no longer in it's natural state.
I don't really understand why people feel it's their right to damage public land this way.
Don't get me wrong, I love ripping big roostertails, and climbing hills, and going as far as a machine can take me. But I do it on my own land, or on someone's land who is also ok with it.
Public land is for everyone, and unlimited atv use just isn't sustainable. (It's not. Don't kid yourself)