Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 AM

Default Lets talk Prostrate

I have had prostrate issues for a few years but they seem to be getting worse.
It is to the point where I am up numerous times at night and when I have to go I have to go RIGHT now. Extremely frustrating! Dr. has checked me out and says I have a slightly swollen prostrate and wants to put me on medication. I am hoping there is a supplement out there that is natural and will do the trick. Does anyone out there have any experience going the natural route.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-22-2017, 07:54 AM

If it were me, I'd do what ever meds they want and not rely on natural anything Do what will work or will give you the best chance at rectifying the issue
Old 01-22-2017, 08:12 AM
Banned

Default Nope

If there was homeopathic med I'd be taking it . I took the
Prescribed meds ,they didn't work that good but reduced the inflammation
Still the night time wandering . We're in the wait
And see mode.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 AM

I'm presuming/hoping your Dr. has told you what your PSA number is. And you should track that very closely....on your own. My regular Dr. never told me, never checked me....but I saw a locum once and he mentioned my numbers were climbing and that if I wanted , he would send me to see a urologist.....long story short, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It was caught early and I'm happy to say its been 3 1/2 years and I'm clean. Caught early, its very treatable, in a variety of ways. Don't be eating sapphron grass in the hopes it gets better. Two guys I know never got checked....tough old farmer types.....and both died a painful death, before their time.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I'm presuming/hoping your Dr. has told you what your PSA number is. And you should track that very closely....on your own. My regular Dr. never told me, never checked me....but I saw a locum once and he mentioned my numbers were climbing and that if I wanted , he would send me to see a urologist.....long story short, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It was caught early and I'm happy to say its been 3 1/2 years and I'm clean. Caught early, its very treatable, in a variety of ways. Don't be eating sapphron grass in the hopes it gets better. Two guys I know never got checked....tough old farmer types.....and both died a painful death, before their time.
Yes my PSA is checked every six months because of my family history.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 AM

OK, glad to hear you get it checked....but do you know the number? I still get blood tests every 6 months ........ and I get the lab results myself. The doc said he would let me know
if there was a problem but I want to know before they rise to a danger level. He never in the first place, so now I get the results myself and track the number, just to be sure.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 AM

I had a problem like yours years ago. I took the herbals for a while but they didn't seem to help. My doctor put me on a daily pill and it helped for years. And it got to the point I didn't think I needed the pill any more, talked to my doctor and I have been off the pills for a few years now.

Now it seems to be coming back. Probably go back on the pills again.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:02 AM

Yes, get your psa checked yearly, one year mine was a bit elevated and the next year it spiked. I was diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer at 43 years old, removed prostate 3 years ago, now I get checked every 6 months, so far so good, early detection.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:51 AM

High dose of saw palmetto in a slow release capsule
Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 AM

Same thing as the OP described happened to me 6-7 years ago. The urgency was ridiculous. Lived through it for almost two years then went to the doctor for help had the blood work which showed a high PSA. Was given a prescription and an appointment set up with a urologist. Another blood test with an even higher PSA another prescription was given 6 months later met with the urologist and more blood work. PSA stablelized.

This went on for 4 years PSA was up and down I didn't like the meds, changed my diet stopped drinking alcohol not that I drank a lot to begin with. Cut back on coffee drink more water and eat lots of vegetables and fruits.

A year and a half ago I had a prostate biopsy which showed ASAP cells. Urologist said these are sometimes seen in men prior to cancerous cells. A year ago had a cystoscopy procedure as I have at times no pressure when urinating. The urgency is gone though and that in itself is a relief. I believe the urgency is improved because of my diet choices.

I've be in a watch and wait program blood work and prostate check every 6 months. Next check is in March and another biopsy in April. My urologist says it's not if I get cancer but when I get it and early detection is the best way to deal with it.

I'm not sure if this rambling will help the OP. I was going to try herbal meds but my research tells me they're a false hope. Talk to your doctor get checked at a minimum once a year eat better and exercise more.

BW
Old 01-22-2017, 10:12 AM

Stay away from any of the herbal treatments, they are only wishful cures to make snake oil companies rich. A enlarged prostate as you age is normal.
High PSA numbers that increase quickly are not normal and are directly related to cancer. You must consider aggressive treatments by urologist and do not hesitate to long (weeks not months).
Old 01-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
High dose of saw palmetto in a slow release capsule
Tried them and they didn't work for me.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:36 AM

My doc told me new research shows its not so much your PSA number but how rapidly it climbs. Yes as you get older the number will be higher. My doc has been tracking mine for 8 years started at normal then went up then last last year it went down again to normal. There is also BPH which affects men over 50 regularly. But bottom line every male should have their PSA number tracked.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:35 PM

I have had two new doctors in Calgary that told me they no longer check psa numbers or do a digital exam. I asked how they would know I had prostate cancer. He said you would have blood in your urine. I replied that would be to late then.
So the next time I go I will insist I get a psa test or tell them I will pay for it myself.
I notice the man van still does a psa test but I never seem to catch up to the van.
I had a friend with prostate cancer which they caught through a psa test. His wife said he never had any blood in his urine. He did five weeks of radiation.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Banned

So far I have been lucky with my prostrate, but it's probably just a matter of time. Once I get my back problem sorted out I plan on getting regular checkups to perhaps give me an early warning about a future problem. I'm one of those fools who never go for regular checkups. My last one was 30 years Ago.
Good luck with your prostrate problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Since my problem, I pay more attention to the news regarding this issue. And I have read where up to 50% of health practioners don't agree with PSA tests. I can tell you I am very happy mine was not one of them.....I don't know how I would have discovered it otherwise.

I know of 2 guys that found out via the man van, on its last visit to Provost.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:30 PM

Good for you for getting checked. Like a lot of men I know, I avoided annual exams and rarely saw a doctor in my youth. Young men are often healthy.

For no reason that I know, I went to see my doctor for a routine physical when I was 52. I was quite sure I was wasting time and health care dollars.

My PSA was slightly elevated but he felt an abnormality that eventually showed to be cancer. Treatment solved it.

First, take the drugs you need to help your functioning. Secondly, pursue natural remedies that are proven. These include weight loss to proper weight, exercise, adequate water intake, good diet and some supplements including vitamin D and zinc. Using unproven remedies are worth trying only if they are relatively inexpensive and rational. Sometimes something works for somebody.

Finally, the gland is a prostate not prostrate. Everyman should get the word right. Most of us will have problems with it.

If you don't have cancer, you can quit your drugs now and then to see if you've solved your problems.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-22-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Darn autocorrect.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 03:36 PM
Banned

A guy I used to work for had prostate problems. His doctor told him to eat pumpkin seeds. Can't remember if it helped or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwhUOY7s_w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_kh90gIF4
Old 01-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Default prostate

Yeah, doctors up here said they got a letter from our government saying to not do PSA testing anymore, as 50% of the time it is false. And it is expensive. He showed me a letter, and actually gave me a copy, now if I can find it......
I have had Prostatitis now for about 15 years and have successfully kept it at bay with a natural supplement called Prost-force made by Prairie Naturals. It works for me. I take a capsule in the morning and at night. If things seem to be getting uncomfortable, I will add an extra capsule when needed.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Seven yrs ago my PSA did a sharp spike to 8. A few months later was diagnosed with very aggressive cancer. Was bleeding as well but had kidney stones at the same time. Went the radiation, hormone treatment route & so far after 6 yrs it has not returned. Have a buddy in SK that had his drilled out. Was an awful experience but now he is OK. The treatments are brutal. I've researched natural ways but all of it ends with send $69 for the rest of the information. If there was really a good natural cure one would think it would be well know. If I had to do it again I think I would have had it removed but that is hind sight. Good luck to all who deal with this.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Seven yrs ago my PSA did a sharp spike to 8. A few months later was diagnosed with very aggressive cancer. Was bleeding as well but had kidney stones at the same time. Went the radiation, hormone treatment route & so far after 6 yrs it has not returned. Have a buddy in SK that had his drilled out. Was an awful experience but now he is OK. The treatments are brutal. I've researched natural ways but all of it ends with send $69 for the rest of the information. If there was really a good natural cure one would think it would be well know. If I had to do it again I think I would have had it removed but that is hind sight. Good luck to all who deal with this.
When you say drilled out are you talking about the TURP procedure? That was mentioned at my last urologist appointment. I'm hoping that isn't going to be necessary.

BW
Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 PM

If your having to much problems and you get no results form your doc look up CUTRIS NICKEL,the best of the best,has done more for male urology than any other man I know,work's out of Kingston Ontario.

Avoid,booze,pepper,spicy foods,caffine and stuff that will bother your blatter or irritate your urinary tract .Pumpkin seeds is on the list of thing that help.but a vitamin called quercetin is a very important one for prostate problems.

Avoid sitting on cold things and no tight clothing.plenty of water,i went broke over a quack in Winnipeg who said it was prostate and spent a fortune for full body MRI'S at 10000 a pop and seen many and finally went to Kinston and in 20 minutes they found the problem after 7 years of trouble,a tumor in my testical not big .but enough to cause major problems had surgery in 2010,zero prolems since.Then I got all better after a long fight and somebody texting runs me over,i will beat this also,but you need good doctors ,if your not happy and your still having problems,find another and I have told you of one of the world.s best if not the best,president's go to him, Norman Schwarzkopf JR,and many other guys you know,he looks at all kinds of folks poor or rich.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:27 PM

There are many options for treatment and more becoming available every year. I was told in my case I was limited to radiation....so I spent 2 months in Edmonton.

But I checked into an ifrared procedure in Ontario....turned out to not be a candidate for me as my prostate was too large. And it was not covered by Alberta Health.....and the cost was $23,000.
And a guy I know just had cryogenic treatments....10 needles inserted, frozen, thawed and frozen a second time.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:57 PM

What do you guys class as a high psa ? Mine has been 5.8 to 6. 2 for the last 5 years psa is tested every 6 months and a biopsy every year things seem to be good but I am being told in time this will have to be delte with do you agree ??
Old 01-22-2017, 05:16 PM

Sorry, brain fart in my last post ! It was ultrasound treatment, not infrared.

And Trap Shy, I was diagnosed with cancer at a PSA level of 5.4, biopsy tested positive in 3 out of 12 samples.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I have had two new doctors in Calgary that told me they no longer check psa numbers or do a digital exam. I asked how they would know I had prostate cancer. He said you would have blood in your urine. I replied that would be to late then.
So the next time I go I will insist I get a psa test or tell them I will pay for it myself.
I notice the man van still does a psa test but I never seem to catch up to the van.
I had a friend with prostate cancer which they caught through a psa test. His wife said he never had any blood in his urine. He did five weeks of radiation.
Doctor refused to give my brother a PSA test. He decided to go to the man van. They caught the fact he had cancer , saved his life. Sometimes you have to take control and be proactive. Get that test.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 PM

WHAT are numbers? I had a prostrate condition about 15 years ago my numbers went up to 4.9 the doctor sent to this other Dr who prescriped a medical condition and when I went for the exam I had already booked for the operation, that was 15 years ago. Did "NOT" let my feelings get in the way, I am 78 now and I have no pain what so ever. Yea I miss the sexual part but who f____ing cares. I am 78 and I feel great. And I miss being with you, but cares? When my Dr. told me I went home and I was on the internet for about 48 hrs and I made a decision, but who cares? That is not what I was going to say, but who cares. I still want to be with you, and relive your heart break and talk about old times, but who cares? I want you to relive your life and see you send your grand kids off to school, but who cares? "YOU DO" and that is all that matters! I promise never get involved again. Sorry for the rant!!!
Old 01-22-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Shy View Post
What do you guys class as a high psa ? Mine has been 5.8 to 6. 2 for the last 5 years psa is tested every 6 months and a biopsy every year things seem to be good but I am being told in time this will have to be delte with do you agree ??
Mine was around 5 one year then spiked to 10 the next year, that's when I was sent for a biopsy and cancer was found.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:42 PM

It's a prostate folks, not a prostrate. No one is taking it lying face down arms stretched out here.