Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2017, 08:18 AM

Default Battle Lake

8 of us out yesterday. 27inches hard ice, no flood water and just enough crusty snow to give good traction. Drive anywhere in 2wheel. Bite very light but steady throughout the day. Dead sticks with minows/smelts easily out produced active jigging. Only small jack caught, saw one good walleye on camera.

Good Luck
Old 01-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Banned

Many many springs on that lake.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 AM

Default springs

If you stick to the boat launch side shouldn't be a problem. Only springs I've ever heard of are maybe across the middle and the far west end. Guess one truck went through somewhere middleish back the year Hati had the earth quake, 2005? Anyway boat launch side along the shore left and right lots of ice lots of traffic and good trail even for a car right now.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 AM

Springs are throughout the lake, Battle is the only lake I won't drive on. Guy fell through walking 100 yds off shore last year over by the private campground.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
If you stick to the boat launch side shouldn't be a problem. Only springs I've ever heard of are maybe across the middle and the far west end. Guess one truck went through somewhere middleish back the year Hati had the earth quake, 2005? Anyway boat launch side along the shore left and right lots of ice lots of traffic and good trail even for a car right now.

Along the shore to the east, just past the campground there are springs as well.

I remember when that truck went through. A friend and I were there shortly after and it was creepy to see the flagged off trail leading to the hole.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 AM

Really springs?!??! I just drove all over with my truck. That makes me cringe! Will be taking the sxs from now on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 12:30 PM

Just stay to other tracks and a bit off shore, you'll be fine.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:15 PM

Default Safety?

As with any ice condition use caution. Conditions change daily. If you're not comfortable with it then walk. Or don't go at all. Just trying to be helpful so we're all able to prepare for not only a safe day but successful day fishing. Guess depending on you're comfort level I was either lucky or exercised adequate judgement. Too me 27 inches of hard ice is adequate for my truck. Maybe for you it needs to be 28.5 inches. Pretty soon there's going to be ice police at the launch requiring us all to have tail gate meetings and sign off on tying our own hooks and drilling our own holes before ever going on to any lake.