Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2013, 04:23 PM

Default H&R/NEF Handi-rifle!

Im a big lover of the single shot action and Iv been looking into getting a Handi-Rifle in 30-06 for some time, and would love to hear experiences (good or bad ) from those who own, or have owned one of these rifles, in 30-06 and/or other calibers.

pics are always wecome!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Banned

Well, they are definitely an entry level rifle. Accuracy isn't that bad but it is very inconsistent. Some shooters report MOA accuracy, others minute of barn. They are a very light rifle, thus expect as such substantiable recoil when shooting one, however that could be trumped by their light carry weight afield. It now becomes a choice of your own. Do you want a tack driver? in that case not. Do you want a second quick shot shoukd the first one not finish the job, Not. If you are a first time hunter, I would highly recommend against a single shot, no matter what make.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:12 PM

I had one in .243, I loved the concept of a single shot and I loved the way that rifle felt in my hands. I just did not want to spent 800.00+ for a TC. Well thats all the good I can say about H&R. Mine came with a loose butt stock, the heaviest trigger possible and could not hit the broad side of a barn with that thing no matter what I tried. After a year and a half I finally sent it back and was told the barrel had tooling marks and was not safe to use. I got a refund. I was tempted to buy another cause I desperately wanted to be one of those guys that got a good one. I ended up buying a Tikka T3 .243
I guess its a roll of the dice. I may try my luck again .
Good luck.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 PM

TC's are fine rifles indeed! But yes, pricey and Id like to see more offered with wood furnature, hence why I find the handi rifle so appealing.
Im not a first time hunter, just looking to get into something with more packability than my current set up, Im ok with increased recoil and lack of follow up capability.

Last edited by SurvivAL; 12-28-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:00 PM

Cabelas has them on sale right now for $269, none in 30-06 though, at least not according to the website
Old 12-28-2013, 09:47 PM

Nothing wrong with them and they can be made to shoot moa. Go on cgn there's a few threads on nef/h&r's and talk to hoytcanon he's got a few dozen of them. Greybeards forum is another good place for info