Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-05-2016, 09:54 PM

Default Are you practicing the wrong way with broadheads?

Was out at the Sherwood Park Fish and Game archery range today and it never fails every year when spring bear season approaches, some clown has to go out to the archery range, usually the practice target butts, and shoot their broadhead arrows to sight in! Sometimes they even manage to convince themselves that shooting the expensive 3D targets on the course is also a grand idea!!! This is wrong in so many ways and all of the archery clubs suffer from the same problem. Target butts are not suitable for broadhead practice because the broadheads actually slice the material and shorten the life span considerably. The 3D targets suffer worse because the intelligent fool that shot the broadhead now has to actually dig the broadhead out of the 3D target leaving a big hole.

If you are new to the sport and do not know any better, please refrain from this distructive practice and purchase a broadhead target to take with you to the archery range or use the broadhead sand pit provided.

You may not be aware but if and when you are caught using broadheads on the target butts or the 3D animals, your membership will be revoked and very doubtful if you will ever get it back. This rule is very much enforced by ALL THE LOCAL ARCHERY CLUBS and I'm sure most everywhere else.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:16 PM

This is nothing new. We see it every year here too. It just seems that people jdgaf about club property or have any respect for anyone or any thing. I am really hoping to catch someone doing it, and then have charges pressed on behalf of the club. Might turn some heads then.

On a lighter note, a couple of our clubs targets were eaten by a bear! He managed to choke down a good chunk of a badger and then attack a 28" bear. Seems no one likes the 28" bear target, lol.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
This is nothing new. We see it every year here too. It just seems that people jdgaf about club property or have any respect for anyone or any thing. I am really hoping to catch someone doing it, and then have charges pressed on behalf of the club. Might turn some heads then.

On a lighter note, a couple of our clubs targets were eaten by a bear! He managed to choke down a good chunk of a badger and then attack a 28" bear. Seems no one likes the 28" bear target, lol.
Gotta wash your sticky hands after the donuts so the bears don't think the targets smell like Tim Hortons!! We used moth balls in nylon bags and stuck them to the back of the targets. Seemed to keep the bears and the cougars away
Old 05-05-2016, 10:40 PM

Ya, Ron and I talked about that today! I remember seeing that at outdoor nationals in lac labiche.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Was out at the Sherwood Park Fish and Game archery range today and it never fails every year when spring bear season approaches, some clown has to go out to the archery range, usually the practice target butts, and shoot their broadhead arrows to sight in! Sometimes they even manage to convince themselves that shooting the expensive 3D targets on the course is also a grand idea!!! This is wrong in so many ways and all of the archery clubs suffer from the same problem. Target butts are not suitable for broadhead practice because the broadheads actually slice the material and shorten the life span considerably. The 3D targets suffer worse because the intelligent fool that shot the broadhead now has to actually dig the broadhead out of the 3D target leaving a big hole.

If you are new to the sport and do not know any better, please refrain from this distructive practice and purchase a broadhead target to take with you to the archery range or use the broadhead sand pit provided.

You may not be aware but if and when you are caught using broadheads on the target butts or the 3D animals, your membership will be revoked and very doubtful if you will ever get it back. This rule is very much enforced by ALL THE LOCAL ARCHERY CLUBS and I'm sure most everywhere else.
Sure hope everybody is reading this!!
Old 05-06-2016, 12:22 PM

that is so sad arrow dog... I suppose there are signs posted as well, some people figure they own it since they pay a membership fee.
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-06-2016, 02:47 PM

Default Broadheads

It's a really good idea for every range to have something to shoot broadheads at. A pit of sand with old worn out 3D targets tossed in for something to aim at worked very well here in Calgary. If you don't provide something to shoot at the idiots will shoot at anything.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
It's a really good idea for every range to have something to shoot broadheads at. A pit of sand with old worn out 3D targets tossed in for something to aim at worked very well here in Calgary. If you don't provide something to shoot at the idiots will shoot at anything.
We always have old targets placed out in our broadhead pit, but the dumb-dumbs just don't get it.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:30 PM

I was also out shooting at SPFGA and wondered about this... I have actually never practiced with fixed broadheads (I started archery last year and used mechanicals) but often wondered how people sighted in fixed blades... I immediately ruled out 3D targets as an option (for obvious, logical reasoning) but was curious if they used the target butts. I figured that would be fairly destructive but had never seen anyone on the range using them. In conclusion, this post, though aimed at venting frustration was actually educational. So thanks! But maybe seasonally we should consider a sign board that could be placed out, or something more permanent for guys/gals/boys and girls to see and learn from who don't have an educated mentor to guide them along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2016, 09:31 PM

Also... The 3D range is amazing. Downright heavenly. Well done.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 PM

I have two rinehart targets, an 18-1 and a block. Both are broadhead compatible and I use the practice heads as well as practice mechanical heads on those.

LC
Old 05-06-2016, 09:47 PM

Glad everyone is enjoying the 3D course. Just got back from shooting it tonight with Lefty-Canuck. Funny thing is, regarding the broadhead use, we put up brand news range use signs, one of them right beside the target butt range and the other immediately across from that sign at the start of the 3D course. Instructions are very clear as what to use where and it was AFTER these signs were posted that the broadheads were used on the target butts. Oh, well!
Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 AM

Looks like I don't read so good... Lefty, I'll be looking into those targets for self purchase. Thanks for the tip

Old 05-07-2016, 12:33 PM

Brutal that people are already wrecking those, I was so excited to see the new targets. It was raining when I was out there and had a hell of a time pulling my arrows from the shiny new targets. Definitely a huge improvement!

18 in 1 for broad heads, great targets.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Get yourself a bar of ivory soap and coat the first 4" or so of your arrow tips when shooting 3D targets or target butts.. Cheap fix and the arrows come out real easy
Old 05-08-2016, 09:07 PM

The motto in this is "STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES"

We've run into the same problem occasionally at the PBAC. If caught, we don't worry about charging individuals for shooting the targets up, we insist they replace the target at its full price. If they refuse, their membership is immediately revoked. Another avenue, which I've used is Small Claims Court in Alberta Provincial Court. I advised members that they don't want to pay up the other course of action is Small Claims. You are allowed up to $50K for your suit. It seems money always talks and people don't want to part with it too easily.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 AM

Happens everywhere...even seems to happen on supervised ranges like ours where someone is always there...always broadhead cuts and no one admits to it ...lol

Some just don't know any better...

M-ark targets well in clubs...

Our broadhead target reads "broadheads only" in visible marking...

All in all we get more damage from birds, deer and even had an Antelope romancing or socializing our 3D Antelope target ...

Neil