Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 AM

Default release options

I currently have a Scott Wildcat release, (wrist strap and finger release ). I've used it for years now but lately I just can seem to get comfortable with it. Its basically the only release I have ever used/tried. I've adjusted the length of strap and also adjust which hole the strap fits into.

I'm looking for some other options/styles to try before this hunting season gets underway. Looking for a more consistent groups at longer distances. I think my anchoring points are pretty good but I think they may get better with another style of release

It's a hunting bow, but also shoot range and indoor stuff. Looking for 1 release for all. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Banned

I use a tru ball short n sweet with a strap instead of a metal connection. After using one for years I could never use a release with the metal connection between the wrist and release.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:12 PM

Mine is also a strap no metal. For some reason I just cant find the perfect fit. I think i need to spend some time at the range making some adjustments.

I'll check the Short and Sweet out.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Default release

Have you ever tried a thumb release. I used one when I first started bowhunting. Then went to a wrist strap release, thought I would never go back. I used a friends thumb release and found out my groups began getting smaller as soon as I got use to it. Now I would never go back.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Go to a thumb release and watch you groups shrink.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:40 PM

If you activate a caliper release properly they can be shot every bit as accurate as any other release, but they are easy to punch.

Scott Echo, Stan Xtinction, Carter Like Mike, Tru-Ball Execute are all releases you can shoot very well hunting, 3D or target. I used a Wildcat for years before I tried and own these other ones.

LC
Old 07-19-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you activate a caliper release properly they can be shot every bit as accurate as any other release, but they are easy to punch.

Scott Echo, Stan Xtinction, Carter Like Mike, Tru-Ball Execute are all releases you can shoot very well hunting, 3D or target. I used a Wildcat for years before I tried and own these other ones.

LC
Lefty, what are your favourites from what you listed? I've checked them all out online.
I think a "swept back" trigger might be better for me.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:14 PM

I use the echo for almost everything, I like the trigger and my “pull through” style of activation it works well.

I just got at Stan Xtinction and I’m using it down at TAC it’s similar but it’s a hook release not a dual caliper.

LC
Old 07-19-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
/snipped

LC
Yup, this is super true but I've been guilty of punching thumb releases too. I'm not convinced that I could properly squeeze off a shot in a pressure situation. FWIW, when I was stand hunting, I preferred the thumb release because there isn't a need to "hook up" under pressure with the release hanging off a d-loop.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:03 PM

It's funny, I started shooting with a leather tab back in 70. Used it for years on both recurve and compounds. Then toyed with about 4-5 different releases, all worked and got me, great groups. But you know, I've gone back to the leather tab just because I feel again more intimate with the string and don't need to think about releases.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-20-2019, 10:46 AM

I would like to try a back tension just to see but can't justify the price of one at this point in life. Shooting a silverthorn at the moment and no complaints more just a curiosity thing.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:51 AM

Spothogg wiseguy is amazing , the adjustablitly is perfect and a absolute must have compontent.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I use a tru ball short n sweet with a strap instead of a metal connection. After using one for years I could never use a release with the metal connection between the wrist and release.
That is my go to as well, love the short n sweet with the strap
Old 07-27-2019, 07:35 PM

Default open vs closed hook

I've narrowed it down to the Tru Ball Short and Sweeter RS2 and Scott Echo, both with strap connection.

It seems like the main difference is that one has an open hook vs a calliper design (closed hook).

Ive never used an open hook design. Any Pros or Cons with that style for hunting?
Old 07-27-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I've narrowed it down to the Tru Ball Short and Sweeter RS2 and Scott Echo, both with strap connection.

It seems like the main difference is that one has an open hook vs a calliper design (closed hook).

Ive never used an open hook design. Any Pros or Cons with that style for hunting?
A hook can be attached without “operating” the release. The echo can be closed on the d-loop without the fear of it slipping off. Hook releases tend to have different POI when compared to a dual caliper. The Echo has a “torque reduction” floating jaw design.

LC
Old 07-29-2019, 06:09 PM

I have had 6 or 7 different release aids and I still have not found the one for me. I have a Truball Short'n Sweeter s2 with about 30 shots on it that I think I am going to sell.

Last edited by CroPhi; 07-29-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:29 AM

ordered a Scott Echo...going to give it a try. Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
ordered a Scott Echo...going to give it a try. Thanks for all the input.
For it to feel right it needs to be under tension, so when you first get it if you try and open the jaws without tension (not attached to anything and pulling against it)...you will wonder what you purchased . I believe Jimbows has them in stock.

LC
Old 08-01-2019, 12:34 PM

I’ve used the Spot Hogg and Short n Sweet. Love them equally. If you are tree stand hunting, you may want the short and sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2019, 07:37 PM

I've used the daul jaws T.R.U. ball with a velcro strap years ago.
Went to the Short n' Sweet hook with a buckle strap about 10 years ago.
Just upgreaded to the Short n' Sweeter this year.
Great realese never failed.

Only issue on the new version the Short n' Sweeter is the buckle strap
is much more spongy than the old version Short n' Sweet.

Old version strap was only 1 layer of leather the new version short n' sweeter
has 2 layers leather on bottom foam on top (stretchy).

FYI.

Other wise great release.

I'm currently using my old short n' sweet with the buckle and hook and keeping my new short n' sweeter as a backup.

The old one still keeps on ticking.
And does not slip up my wrist while target shooting.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 08-07-2019 at 07:46 PM.